cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you have a bed liner?

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of considering a new truck and reviewing options. I asked one question on another matter earlier, but I'm also wondering about bed liners. Are they needed? Our bed will be empty 98% of the time. With the exception of a load from Home Depot now and then, it will see very little use.

I'm just not sure how delicate the finish is. Do you have a liner? Do you think it's essential?

This is our first pick-up, so these are new questions to us.

Thanks!
64 REPLIES 64

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
Mike134 wrote:
I have a Bedrug and love it. Word of caution it's like a rug so landscaping wood chips etc get stuck in the fabric.

I have the bed rug too. Just on the bottom of the bed and the tailgate. When I'm hauling stuff like landscaping etc I just pull it out since it is held in place by Velcro. I think the bed rug is great. However, I have a folding tonneau cover too. It's almost like an suv.
Jeep and Explorer

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, I have a spray in line and a rubber mat on top of that. The reason for the mat is for my truck camper.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Back to the OPs question following a good but typical sidetrack discussion.
He said he will be using the truck bed very little/lightly.
Not worth spending the $500+ to get it lined for that type of use. Certainly not right away. Nice shiny truck bed will likely still be a nice shiny truck bed years from now based on how he is going to use the truck.
Now many new tucks come sprayed from the factory or at the dealer level or its thrown in for "free". If that's the case, great, if not I'd save my money and decide if it's needed next year or 5 years from now.
Plus being in WI, the inside of the truck bed will be way done on the list of areas and parts that will rust out eventually.

Having read through all of the thoughts and input, this is where I am leaning. A spray-in seems like overkill. Once I learned that they have to scuff up the paint to apply it, why would I pay for them to ruin my bed just to add protection to the bed? If I used it more often for heavier use, it would be different, but I just don't see it doing much more than hauling branches to the compost site, wood from Home Depot, etc...

DW wants a bed cover as well so, at the moment, I'm leaning toward a mat to cover the floor. If/when the sides get scuffed up to a point I'd be concerned, I could always have a spray-in added then.

You can also buy a tailgate mat and just insert it under the bed mat. If and when you need tailgate protection, simply pull out the tailgate mat from under the bed mat and you have instant tailgate protection.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
There was life with any pickup truck before the advent of bed liners....

If the OP can't decide...forget it altogether...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
4x4ord wrote:
I really think the best is to pretend you bought a truck and not worry about what the inside of the box looks like.

lol, right?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
I really think the best is to pretend you bought a truck and not worry about what the inside of the box looks like.

The only reason that I want a pad in mine is to keep things from sliding around.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget the high wear area of the tailgate. After I got a good deal on a thick bed mat, I searched for a tailgate pad. I settled on the WeatherTech one. It fits and holds well.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
There is only minimal fading on the OEM Berliner in my 2012. And it works great for non-slip. My truck does leave a pretty easy life though, being stored indoors and half the year being under a topper.

From what I have seen, black spray in resists fading significantly better than colored liners. And I wouldn't let a little bit of fading stop me from protecting the bed.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
ksss wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Uncle and Aunt just purchased a new '19 F150 recently and drove it over on Thanksgiving. I couldn't help notice it had a after market sprayed in bed liner that was already showing signs of fading. I'm sure the truck sat on the dealer lot for a while but to have a new 2019 truck with a fading bed liner is unacceptable.

Fade now or later ,they all fade a bit, never seen one that didn't lose a little color, but it is the inside of the bed ,and there to protect .

There is a product that will bring the color back if interested. I use a Mothers product (cant think of the exact name right now) that brings the color back on trim pieces, works awesome. I am sure it would do the same for a bed liner.

Mothers Back to Black...

Yep, that is it.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Not worth spending the $500+ to get it lined for that type of use. Certainly not right away. Nice shiny truck bed will likely still be a nice shiny truck bed years from now based on how he is going to use the truck.
Now many new tucks come sprayed from the factory or at the dealer level or its thrown in for "free". If that's the case, great, if not I'd save my money and decide if it's needed next year or 5 years from now.
Plus being in WI, the inside of the truck bed will be way done on the list of areas and parts that will rust out eventually.

Having read through all of the thoughts and input, this is where I am leaning. A spray-in seems like overkill. Once I learned that they have to scuff up the paint to apply it, why would I pay for them to ruin my bed just to add protection to the bed? If I used it more often for heavier use, it would be different, but I just don't see it doing much more than hauling branches to the compost site, wood from Home Depot, etc...

DW wants a bed cover as well so, at the moment, I'm leaning toward a mat to cover the floor. If/when the sides get scuffed up to a point I'd be concerned, I could always have a spray-in added then.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I threw a sheet of osb in the back of my truck when it was new and two years later it still looks like $#!t.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Aftermarket, if you want a liner to stay looking nice get Line-X. Downside things slide easily.

If you want things to stay put get Rhino, downside it DOES fade.

I have the Factory liner in my DRW RAM, after 4 years it still looks good. Doubt it grips as good as Rhino but It's better than Line-X.

It's cheap as a factory option.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD