Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do you have a bed liner?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Do you have a bed liner?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought my first p/u in 1976. Ended up putting a poj slide in liner in that. Don't recommend that route...seems to be the worst of all worlds.

I've since had both factory and aftermarket spray-in liners..and wouldn't have a p/u without one. I carry tools (in boxes or not), several totes of "goes with the truck gear" (tools, straps, tire chains in the winter, etc), a jack, infrequent lumber or similar goods, very infrequent loose materials (gravel, topsoil, etc), fairly frequent yard debris to haul to the dump, skis, snowshoes, hockey gear, sno-go materials, etc.

I think the spray-in bedliner really helps preserve the bed. On my previous rig, after a solid 12 years of the above-use, I found 1-2 spots where I'd either worn through or gouged through the liner.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I actually prefer a bed mat for my use as I don't like spray liners since they get faded and tired looking after a few years while the rest of the truck looks good.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My new Chevy came with the factory bed liner. Previous truck didn’t have one. I like it.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had 3 Chevy Dually long bed, crew cab one ton's in a row. The first (Used) came with a rubber mat bed liner. It was at least 3/4 inch thick and heavy. I heard of such mats blowing out of the bed, but this one never did. I never had water standing under the mat. The ridges on the floor of the bed allowed water to flow backwards or forwards and would drain out drain holes on one corner or another of the bed. The mat was touch and took a lot of abuse. It served well.

The second one ton we got (Used again) had a vinyl liner insert. It was well fit for the bed. Actually, it never came out of the bed when I owned the truck. And that liner was great. It took a lot of abuse also, which also saved the metal on my truck bed.

The third one ton I got, which is my current truck, came with no liner at all. We paid for an after market professionally done spray in bed liner. And that liner has also taken a lot of abuse. I kept a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood on the floor, only because those ridges on the floor and the texture of the spray in liner was extremely hard on knees.

Truck #2 and #2 both had a shell over the bed. Even though I never hauled stone or yard much, it did transport a lot of lumber and building materials. The shell on the 3rd truck was used exclusively for transporting our Canoe and all the equipment. Inside the bed of the truck, we carried all our heavy camping gear, like fire wood and the blue tote, and such.

Fast forward, we now have the 5er and had a 5er hitch installed in the bed. The shell went to another home and the canoe has been hanging in the garage ever since. But the 5er hitch went right over the sprayed on bed liner, and now that I'm carrying somewhat different cargo and the bed of the truck is exposed more since the shell was removed, the spray on bed liner has been great. There no worry about sliding things on the floor or something rolling around. The spray in liner has not chipped or cracked and remains looking good, even with a lot of use.

In my opinion, all 3 variations work well. But the secret is to get the rubber mat or the vinyl insert that actually fits the bed of your truck. In other words, get them 100% custom fit for your specific bed. But only you can decide which level of protection you want to give your bed.

Of the 3 however, the spray in has been the best. But it is harder to clean because of the very rough texture it has.

And fyi? If you don't tie things down in the bed of your truck, no matter what kind of mat or liner you have, it's going to move around, or worse ... fly out of the bed!

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2006 new truck...had Line-X spray done over top of bed rail
Has never chipped.
Some fading
Nothing slides
Durable
Easy to clean.....just spray it out

Next truck..SAME thing

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

I actually prefer a bed mat for my use as I don't like spray liners since they get faded and tired looking after a few years while the rest of the truck looks good.

Must have been a lower quality spray in as the one in our 2001 Ram still look great when we sold it last June.
Current Ram 3500 has spray in also still looks great.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

2006 new truck...had Line-X spray done over top of bed rail
Has never chipped.
Some fading
Nothing slides
Durable
Easy to clean.....just spray it out

Next truck..SAME thing
Same here. While it has only been on for a year & 1/2, the Line-X works.

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Must have been a lower quality spray in as the one in our 2001 Ram still look great when we sold it last June.
Current Ram 3500 has spray in also still looks great.

Yeah and Ram dashboards don't crack and fall to pieces in your area like they did here.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Ram OEM spray in liner and it's been great so far. About 18 months and 15,4?? miles.

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had an OE GM plastic bedliner. in a used PU I bought. Pull it out and had 2 five gallon buckets of sand, gravel and dirt underneath. Put it on the curb on cleanup day.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Do you have a bed liner?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.