cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding air bags: can that increase payload capacity?

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Does adding airbags to a pickup truck tow vehicle increase the payload capacity of the truck?

For example, take a pickup with 3500 lbs. of payload capacity. If one were to add air bags to such a pickup, could that realistically increase the payload capacity from 3500 lbs. to 4000 lbs.?

Also, does adding airbags improve ride quality in the truck?

We're thinking of going with a 2019 3/4 ton RAM or 1 ton RAM as our every day driver and also as a tow vehicle for a fairly short 5th wheel.

I'm trying to decide which would be the best route to follow when buying a truck that will serve mostly as a daily driver, with occasional use to tow a 5th wheel.

3/4 ton with air bags added?
1 ton without air bags?
1 ton with air bags added?

Or....???
Considering Solitude 310GK 5th wheel
98 REPLIES 98

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Air bags deploy in a collision.
Air springs support a chassis.

Any suspension that can re-level a loaded pickup has the benefit of keeping the headlight aimed correctly (Toyota and new Nissans have driver adjustment) and it keeps the castor angle correct so the truck steers normally. This is quite noticeable on a solid front axle truck with short torque arms on a road full of whoop de dos’z. (See an old Dodge on Hwy 191 in the Navajo Nation)

Oh and it is nice when hooking up a ball hitched trailer to drop the suspension back under the couple and pick up the trailer. See: hooking up a goose neck ball to the ball in the hole in the deck style flat bed 🙂

I would never claim adding spring capacity increases capacity to carry stuff, but the old Dodge rides purdy nice with 500 imperial gallons of water in a tank on board. Sits pretty much same as empty.

But air suspensions require a bit of mitigation of moisture in cold weather, and awareness of how they operate see: lending the truck to someone who left the ignition switch in acc position for 4 days while not fixing a minor air leak. “Ya...your truck won’t start...”

My camper hauler F350 cab and chassis truck has farm truck spring packs in rear not the loooong squatting taper leaf pickups have. It sits down about 1.5” to the overload with 3000lbs on it and rides and drives nice. Empty it is a bone shaker compared to the air ride Dodge.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^ Except this thread isn't about 3/4 vs 1 ton and the suspension isn't the limiting factor in the OP's case (as you pointed out, it's easily up-gradeable). Stability of having training wheels attached and rear tire/rim capacity if that is a concern are the major differences in the OP's case.

Yeah, I know which is why I said I would go to a bigger truck(like a DRW) for that big of a trailer in an earlier post.

I just figured the thread was already dead since the OP already got his answer so I would ask my question based on someone saying to go to a bigger truck if they needed suspension aides earlier in the thread. Not really a 3/4 ton versus 1 ton thing. More of a, what is the difference between suspension aides and installing the exact same suspension as the bigger truck if all else is the same.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Except this thread isn't about 3/4 vs 1 ton and the suspension isn't the limiting factor in the OP's case (as you pointed out, it's easily up-gradeable). Stability of having training wheels attached and rear tire/rim capacity if that is a concern are the major differences in the OP's case.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
This got me thinking. If all of the parts on a 3/4 ton truck is identical to a 1 ton besides the rear suspension. What would be the difference between swapping the 3/4 ton suspension for the 1 ton suspension increasing effective capacity -or- adding air bags/Timbrens/Sumosprings to the 3/4 ton suspension that effectively increases it to the same carrying capacity?

I know you will never be able to change ratings because that would cost a lot of money to send it to a final builder, however, you can increase the actual carrying ability by either swapping the suspension to a 1 ton or adding suspensions aides that allow it to carry the same weight.

What would be the difference in what these two options can safely and reliably tow/haul if they both increase the carrying ability the same amount?

You're obviously dragging a fat worm through the lake here, but the sad thing is I can recall and instance or two where a guy traded in a 2500 for a same model SRW 3500 based on advice from this site, effectively paying who knows how much for a new fender decal and payload sticker. A $200 set of Timbrens would have accomplished the same thing for a lot less money.

Exactly!

I want to hear from the people who told him that information. If the rear suspension is the only difference between a 1 ton and 3/4 ton, what is the difference in actual carrying ability(not rated or door number) between swapping a 1 ton suspension on a 3/4 ton -or- adding a suspension aide that adds the same increase in capacity of the 3/4 ton. The notion that if you need a suspension aide then you might as well step up to another truck is pure garbage because I have seen DRW 350/350, 450/4500 and eve 550/5500 trucks with suspension aides. Heck, they even sell them from the factory now.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
This got me thinking. If all of the parts on a 3/4 ton truck is identical to a 1 ton besides the rear suspension. What would be the difference between swapping the 3/4 ton suspension for the 1 ton suspension increasing effective capacity -or- adding air bags/Timbrens/Sumosprings to the 3/4 ton suspension that effectively increases it to the same carrying capacity?

I know you will never be able to change ratings because that would cost a lot of money to send it to a final builder, however, you can increase the actual carrying ability by either swapping the suspension to a 1 ton or adding suspensions aides that allow it to carry the same weight.

What would be the difference in what these two options can safely and reliably tow/haul if they both increase the carrying ability the same amount?

You're obviously dragging a fat worm through the lake here, but the sad thing is I can recall and instance or two where a guy traded in a 2500 for a same model SRW 3500 based on advice from this site, effectively paying who knows how much for a new fender decal and payload sticker. A $200 set of Timbrens would have accomplished the same thing for a lot less money.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^That got you thinking? Lol
Shiner, you already know that answer..... you’re just trying to keep the 10 page discussion lively?

Yeah, I have my answer, but some of the responses here makes me think that some either don't think it is the same thing or haven't put to two and two together.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^That got you thinking? Lol
Shiner, you already know that answer..... you’re just trying to keep the 10 page discussion lively?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
OP simply order the exact truck you want.

That's certainly an option. Will do if I need to.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP simply order the exact truck you want.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
DesertDogs wrote:

Problem is finding one - this last week the local dealers all seem to have been cleaned out of them!

https://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/new-vehicles/ram-3500/

If you don't mind a shot flight and a little longer drive back, check out these fellas. They've got to have at least 1 with rear air, and they are known for having the best prices by far.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We matched our truck and fifth when we bought in 2001. Because we learned from watching others. Chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I personally don't like riding AZZ high with my trucks, true the newer ones are not as bad but riding in a near level truck is very nice.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Many great comments in this thread - on several topics.

I thank you all.

My conclusion is that the 1 ton DRW RAM, with factory air suspension is the smartest choice for my needs.

Problem is finding one - this last week the local dealers all seem to have been cleaned out of them!