cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stabil or Seafoam for long term gas can storage?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
First, I can't believe that this is the first time this question has been posed, but my search of the archives came up empty?!

Anyway, which of these two products (Sta-bil or Seafoam) is better for storing gas for a long time in a can? And how long is too long?

Thanks in advance!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
69 REPLIES 69

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Been using Seafoam for years. Great stabilizer but also cleaner.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Star Tron for anything gasoline.
Archoil for diesel.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Tron-Enzyme-Fuel-Treatment/dp/B001VMNHX8
https://www.amazon.com/Archoil-AR6200-16-9-ounces-Treatment/dp/B005WWP99S

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
So Seafoam for gasoline and Diesel engines is the product best for keeping my grass trimmer carburetor clean. Thank you!
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
You can also take a gas can down to you local general aviation airport and get some 100LL avgas. This stuff has a 2 year shelf life.

I see you're in SoCal so there aren't many left.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
suprz wrote:
I have never seen it in gallon cans.. I wish I could get one of those

Try Autozone.

That is where I get mine.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
suprz wrote:

Try Autozone.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51 wrote:
Sea Foam appears to be a corporation with many products. Which one should I use to prevent carburetor problems with the snowthrower and riding lawnmower? I always use gas free of ethanol grass Trimmers. I had a Stihl and it needed a new carburetor every spring until I gave it away. Now Iโ€™m hoping a Home Depot brand will be better.
Amazon.ca search finds 100,000 Sea Foam products. Locally, in automobile repair shops I see maybe a dozen. Which one to buy?

If using ethanol free gas, I would just run the engine out of fuel and put it away for winter. But if you want to use seafoam, I just eyeball about a shot glass of seafoam per gallon of gas.
Proud father of a US Marine

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Foam-Extreme-SF-16-Seafoam/dp/B0002JN2EU/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=seafoam&qid=...

Available at any big box auto parts store. I buy it in gallon cans and refill a couple of the 16 oz cans.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Foam-Extreme-SF-16-Seafoam/dp/B0002JN2EU/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=seafoam&qid=...

Available at any big box auto parts store. I buy it in gallon cans and refill a couple of the 16 oz cans.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Sea Foam appears to be a corporation with many products. Which one should I use to prevent carburetor problems with the snowthrower and riding lawnmower? I always use gas free of ethanol grass Trimmers. I had a Stihl and it needed a new carburetor every spring until I gave it away. Now Iโ€™m hoping a Home Depot brand will be better.
Amazon.ca search finds 100,000 Sea Foam products. Locally, in automobile repair shops I see maybe a dozen. Which one to buy?
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
suprz, is it ok to use Seafoam in the oil?? It seems like that would mess with the viscosity, which would reduce the ability of the oil to lubricate moving parts.

But I am, once again, revealing my ignorance -- I really know nothing about the chemistry of engine oils.

In small amounts it would be. It would be run with the oil to loosen up any sludge, and built up carbon. I would only run it in an engine that I knew was on the way out to see if it helped. Like that YouTube person, his hydraulic lifters were probably sludged up and they weren't getting enough oil up to the top of the engine and causing the lifter tick. Seafoam being basically thinner with some cleaning characteristics would liquify the sludge allowing the oil to get to the lifters etc.. I would not run it in the oil for an extended time, and change the oil soon after using it

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
suprz, is it ok to use Seafoam in the oil?? It seems like that would mess with the viscosity, which would reduce the ability of the oil to lubricate moving parts.

But I am, once again, revealing my ignorance -- I really know nothing about the chemistry of engine oils.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Airdaile wrote:
There's a YouTube channel named Project Farm. This guy does semi-scientific comparisons of a bunch of stuff and did one recently comparing fuel stabilizers (excluding Stabil), but he has a lot of videos on the topic. He's not a fan of Seafoam.

I watched the video where he had a high mileage Ford ranger with the typical lifter tick etc.. he used seafoam in the oil, gas and the throttle body, and the tick was gone. Truck ran and idled better. He even did a one year update and the truck was still running and driving better. You sure he's not a fan?

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
There's a YouTube channel named Project Farm. This guy does semi-scientific comparisons of a bunch of stuff and did one recently comparing fuel stabilizers (excluding Stabil), but he has a lot of videos on the topic. He's not a fan of Seafoam.