Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Thanksgiving, 1970 49 years ago....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Thanksgiving, 1970 49 years ago....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Redcatcher70

Beebe, AR

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get a little maudlin around Thanksgiving. I was in the Army, serving with 1st Aviation Bde. At Firebase Bearcat. I had just been re-assigned from the 199th Inf. Bde. about a month earlier. I was not scheduled to leave Vietnam until Dec. 31, 1971. I had not tried to make any friends at my new assignment, I missed all the guys I had served with the ten months prior, and I knew I would be leaving in a month anyway.

I was doing my regular assignment when the Sgt. came up and said, "go pack you bag, your orders came down and you are leaving ASAP." My jaw dropped and I just took the papers from him and headed to the barracks. Long story short, I made it home in time for Thanksgiving dinner with my family. Each year at Thanksgiving I think about some of the guys I had served with in Vietnam. I think about the few who did not make it home and say a silent prayer for their peace and Thanksgiving for my safe return.

Please say a prayer for those separated from their loved ones serving in far off places and their safe return home. Sorry this is a little long but I know some of you brothers-in-arms will understand....

Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

Homeless by Choice

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/19 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not a Veteran but I thank them for their service and I remember them and their families in my prayers.

Thank you for your service,
LeRoy

Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/19 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also not a veteran, but quite a few in the family as well as a few currently serving. Always thankful

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/19 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spent Thanksgiving 1970 just south of Da Nang. Didn't even realize it was a holiday except for the better chow.

Enjoy you Thanksgiving this year.

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/19 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grateful thanks to all who are or have served.

Cal

jrs1871

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/19 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can relate to your situation there. Thanksgiving 1969, I was keeping my fingers crossed that hubby would soon be home. He was part of the 69th Brigade of the KS ARNG that was activated in 1968. Every other member of the Emporia unit that had been sent to Viet Nam was home but he was still there with the 82nd Airborne Combat Engineers. He missed Thanksgiving but he did make it home December 4th.
Thank you for your service.

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/19 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was among the “lucky: ones. I was on an actual base (Phan Rang AB) and the chow hall did it’s best. As I recall so did Charlie with his rockets that day.

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/19 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I entered country on March 15 1969. Spent a year in I Corp with 630th Combat Engineers building roads to the DMZ and A Shau Valley.

I was told one afternoon that I was going home the next morning. When I said "I have 10 days left." The response was " There is an empty seat on a plane and if you want to be on it you better be ready." Left 10 days early and 7 days after I left our platoon got overrun and 7 of my friends died. I am still haunted by that.

The wife and I had just married and we spent 2 months together in 2 years. We celebrated our 51st anniversary last March 2nd which is Texas Independence Day.

I still mourn those we lost and think often about those who made it back thinking someone they loved would be waiting only to find that they had broken their promise.

It was a sad time in our country and most of us had no idea of what what happening here as we seldom had news except for letters from home.

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spent about a year in Vietnam during the 60's with the Marines. I was last stationed at Khe Sahn, near the DMZ. To this day, I don't know how I made it out alive, without a scratch, having survived bullets, an anti personnel mine (set off by a guy next to me), and numerous rocket and artillery attacks. All of those with whom I was friendly didn't survive.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Thanksgiving, 1970 49 years ago....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.