cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

inverter/charger issues

USAFRet94
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador. Remote for the inverter/charger shows a fault, ie overcharge on batteries & high tempature. Batteries are new and fully charged. I have power to the slides, but nothing else works. The battery switch to turn on 12 volt power will not stay on. Hooking up to shore power makes no difference. Will a bad inverter/charger keep both the house electrical systems from working? Also, the generator will not start or come on line. Need an idea of where to start, all this happened with no warning.
14 REPLIES 14

hoosiermark
Explorer
Explorer
First it is a Hymer Sunlight Van One with lithium battery and underhood generator which is actually a second alternator. The AC is a typical RV AC unit and the wiring is designed to run off the lithium battery alone for a short period of time or with the engine/generator running or shore power. That is the reason it is wired thru the inverter/charger. It is an interesting setup that has problems with the setup for many.
I posted simply to alert the OP that my experience was challenging since the OP stated he had an inverter/charger also. Mine is all fixed now thanks to Beaver Motors in Beaver Springs PA.
I did post in the Class B section about my issues several months ago. I also posted in the facebook group under Carado/Hymer owners. I certainly was not interested in hijacking this thread.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please measure and post the voltages right on the battery terminals and the inverter 12volt input.
Otherwise back to the shop.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Original posters disappear quite often!
Yes, Hossiermark should have started his/her own thread.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
AC unit should have been wired to the 120 volt distribution panel for use on shore power, not through the inverter.
Fine, but that's another poster's issue, not the Op's, and he's gone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
AC unit should have been wired to the 120 volt distribution panel for use on shore power, not through the inverter.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Who ever installed AC unit to inverter screwed up or you were ripped off! AC units would draw down batteries in a big hurry!
Just don't run it.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Who ever installed AC unit to inverter screwed up or you were ripped off!
AC units would draw down batteries in a big hurry!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
hoosiermark wrote:
I have a class B and had inverter problems. First the solenoid by the inverter went out. I could not turn on the charger/inverter without it. I replaced it. Now my 110 outlets worked off the inverter but roof AC would not. Roof AC worked on shore power. Finally took it to a good repair shop. They checked it all over and the issue was bad inverter. It supplied basic 110 power when turned on but could not handle the power drain when AC compressor tried to start up. Luckily they had a used inverter to swap out with mine to find it. Bottom line in my opinion is that you need to be educated in all the ways the inverter chargers work or it will be very frustrating. I had a couple of other people look at it including a retired industrial electrician and a guy who tests high temperature ovens electronically and neither could figure out a way to test things. They both thought it was a bad compressor on the AC. Good luck.

Please tell us the make and model of this inverter and the size of your A/C.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder why your roof A/C was (most likely incorrectly) wired through the inverter?

OE or wired that way after it left the factory?

What size inverter and what size roof air?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
hoosiermark wrote:
I have a class B and had inverter problems. First the solenoid by the inverter went out. I could not turn on the charger/inverter without it. I replaced it. Now my 110 outlets worked off the inverter but roof AC would not. Roof AC worked on shore power. Finally took it to a good repair shop. They checked it all over and the issue was bad inverter. It supplied basic 110 power when turned on but could not handle the power drain when AC compressor tried to start up. Luckily they had a used inverter to swap out with mine to find it. Bottom line in my opinion is that you need to be educated in all the ways the inverter chargers work or it will be very frustrating. I had a couple of other people look at it including a retired industrial electrician and a guy who tests high temperature ovens electronically and neither could figure out a way to test things. They both thought it was a bad compressor on the AC. Good luck.

I would be surprised if your roof top AC unit was fed by the inverter. :?
On every RV I have ever had the roof top AC was fed from shore power or generator but never from the inverter.

hoosiermark
Explorer
Explorer

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Qualified no!
Most large inver/chargers have a pass through function that would let 120 volt AC items wired into it to operate.
Make and model of inverter/charger? It could have a reset button.
Until you test the 12 volt DC to inverter/charger, you will no nothing!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
USAFRet94 wrote:
Will a bad inverter/charger keep both the house electrical systems from working? .
Maybe. It's not likely it affects 12v, but pass through ac won't work if your transfer switch is bad.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is my response from your other post:
"First guess is batteries not connected correctly.
Check for fuse in 12 volt DC feeding the inverter."

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow