Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Have you upgraded your V-10 with a turbo? If so,

1. What was the cost of the system?
2. what was the installation charge?
3. How much time did the work take?

and then...

How was your gas mileage affected? Better, no change, worse?
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.
26 REPLIES 26

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Vortech has a kit for v10 intended for trucks. Not Turbo but dependable.
Bear in mind more power exposes all the weak links. Rebuild the engine with stouter components and so on first.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
FYI - before spending big bucks on mods - maybe "patience is prudent"...see the January, 2020 issue of Hot Rod Mag.

See article: Ford Releases a Big-Inch Beast. An Inside look at Ford's all-new 7.3L (gas) pushrod V8 - - ("designed to replace the 6.8L V-10 that Ford has used since 1997").

"Ford will use the big-inch small block in it's trucks, namely the F-250, F-350, F-450, and in various commercial and fleet applications including motor homes and delivery trucks."

Will it be avail for aftermarket applications - and at what cost?

~

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
wildmanbaker wrote:
Rich, where are you finding these parts? Then there is the balance problem.

I couldn't find stroker crank for the V10. I suspect the 4.165 crankshaft on the V10 mostly fill the crankcase.
All the other stuff is readily available.

Or are you talking about my 528?

Richard
The V10. If there was a stroker crank, there would be balance problems. The V10 has a balance shaft in the driver side head now.
Wildmanbaker

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
Maybe you could do to your V10 like I did to my 460 Bounder. Add a stroker crank, RV cam, raise the compression ratio, Banks exhaust & a tuner. Never too much HP...................

Richard

The only thing I know of that is available are cams........and they cost around $1000! A crank would be custom. Performance Pistons and rods from a 5.4 are a direct fit. No aftermarket heads available, and again head work would be pricey and not worth it for the minimal gains they would give!

But it's all about the fun and the challenge. Some of us gearheads never outgrow "more HP & Torque". Don't you waste money on some fun?

Richard

Oh ya, I am a gear head. Always have been and always will be. I've had several mustangs and a big block 'Cuda with nitrous. But the V-10 is a workhorse and it takes a lot of money to get real HP out of it. Once you get the power now you have to beef up everything behind it. If it's in a MH leave it be so it stays reliable! The only thing I'm going to be doing is to add a Tuner, and that's for the improved shift strategy and to improve the lazy drive by wire system.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
Maybe you could do to your V10 like I did to my 460 Bounder. Add a stroker crank, RV cam, raise the compression ratio, Banks exhaust & a tuner. Never too much HP...................

Richard

The only thing I know of that is available are cams........and they cost around $1000! A crank would be custom. Performance Pistons and rods from a 5.4 are a direct fit. No aftermarket heads available, and again head work would be pricey and not worth it for the minimal gains they would give!

But it's all about the fun and the challenge. Some of us gearheads never outgrow "more HP & Torque". Don't you waste money on some fun?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
wildmanbaker wrote:

I couldn't find stroker crank for the V10. I suspect the 4.165 crankshaft on the V10 mostly fill the crankcase.
All the other stuff is readily available.

Or are you talking about my 528?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Ther is a 30 ft v-8 powered RV with Banks power in this neihborhood. About a 1991 Southwind. Chrome insignia on LF fender.

Banks has a kit for the V-10 already.

STBRetired, thanx. Just the answer I needed.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:

Richard

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MrWizard
He turned a 460" into a 528"
68 Cu inch gain, almost 15% displacement increase

Parts for the 460" are readily available, if you have the $$

I think the v10 is a more complicated engine
But I'm an electrician Not a Mechanic
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Wildmanbaker

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just want more power? Or some other drivability issues?

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
A turbo V10 installed on a F53 is going to be a pretty rare item. I can't recall a kit type bolt on set up even for a F series truck let alone a F53. I'm sure it can be done but the cost will be high and the return low unless you're driving 10K+ miles a year in the Rocky Mountains.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo, my 5-star tuner backs up the original factory tune and will allow me to revert back to it whenever I want. I can then put the 5-star tune back in at a later date. Here in the Land of Taxation, I can pass the emissions test with the 5-start in place. BIL runs a truck shop with an emission lane so we tried it just to see.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select