cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water heater question

importman
Explorer
Explorer
Hello again everyone, I have another question. My Montana has a Suburban water heater and I’m wanting to replace the anode rod with one that has a drain made on it. It’s cold here in the NC mountains so I have to winterize every time we come for a weekend and I’d like to speed up the process. My problem is that the rod that’s in it now is about 8 inches long and all I can find with a drain are about 4.5 inches long. Other than having to replace it more often is there any reason I couldn’t use one like that? They both have 3/4 pipe thread. Thanks in advance for your help.
13 REPLIES 13

importman
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your advice. Not sure what I’m going to do yet but I appreciate your input.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
My low point drain does the water heater also it you open the relief valve. Yours may as well.
Puma 30RKSS

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't know they came with drains. But I would not go that way. Stay with the std. anode rod. 1. How could you inspect the rod if it is not removed. 2. To get complete water to drain the valve would have to be at the lowest point and residual would water would be in the tank. 3. You could not shine a light into the tank to inspect it and flush it out. 4. You would not get that famous shower you get when the rod is removed. 🙂

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
I flush my HW tank at the end of each season. This year, there was a high amount of calcium deposits in the tank bottom.....I spent a long time flushing a lot of it out. After seeing the previous poster's picture of the self draining anode, I can see it easily clogging - especially with all the particles I had this year. I'll pass.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is one Anode with drain valve

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Without seeing the short one with drain, I'd say if the drain hole is smaller, it will plug up, not drain well. Between outings, I often drain my Suburban WH just using the low point drain. It drains just as well as removing the plug, as I checked by removing plug afterward, and water was at bottom of plug hole, but none came out.

I would not use anything but the Suburban brand OEM plug, but that's just me.

Jerry

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never seen the short anode however a short one is better than none I guess. I give mine a good flushing once a year at the end of the season. Removing the anode to drain is faster & no big deal as long as you have the socket & short extension.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
But the valve will be likely good enough for a routine weekly drain, between uses, as long as it got the occasional full flush with the anode run out.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
As the anode rod breaks down it drops a lot of particles in the bottom of your tank. I don't believe you will ever fully drain/flush your tank using the rod with the drain.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you’ll need a wrench that allows for the valve. I have looked at those anode rod/drain combos and have never found one for a Suburban. They have all said for Atwood. So be sure.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve found it takes forever to drain with those.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t think it will be any issue. I had never heard of that type of Anode rod, now I have to look it up
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would stay with the standard anode. Buy the proper sized socket, extension and ratchet to make it very easy to remove and install.
The small drains can and will clogg up. You may think you drained the tank but guess what, you didn't!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker