cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route to Helen Ga from Kentucky

melandme
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to Helen Ga in the summer in a Class C towing a Jeep Wrangler. I have driven the motor home, without the Jeep, to Blue Ridge GA by US 74 from I75 at Cleveland TN to Ducktown TN and the south to US 76. It looks like the two options from the north is either to Blairsville GA and US 19 to GA 348 (Richard Russell Scenic Hwy) or Hiawassee GA and GA 75/17 (Unicoi Turnpike) south. Is one way better than the other? Anyone have any experience driving TN 68 from Sweetwater to Ducktown.
3 REPLIES 3

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't use 348, it's steep grade 10 and windy. Take 64 east toward Murphy then south on 19, east on 76 to Hiawassee then south on 75. Still windy but it's a good highway.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
We drove to John C. Campbell Folk School from Lexington, KY in August. TN 68 is okay but curvy in places. I didn't have any problems with our 34' trailer pulled by our 2015 Ram 2500 CTD.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
348 has a huge uphill grade on it so I would stay on 19/129 to Ga 75 and back up to Helen. Road work detoured us onto 348 and I almost ran out of gas pedal pulling my 30ft 6500lb trailer with my Chevy 1500. Thank goodness for the scenic pullout when it showed up. Its steep.

I have not been on 68 but you might chance it. Its named the Unicoi turnpike so how bad can it be right?