Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

who uses Fog lights? / Hella 500 / OEM connector->F350

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
who uses Fog lights? / Hella 500 / OEM connector->F350

Hi all

So I am curious to know how often do people use Fog lights?

I live in the midwest now (just moved here) and if I was camping, and the fog was really badโ€ฆ I would wait it out.

I am likely going to get an aftermarket front bumper for our forthcoming new F350, so I would lose the stock Ford fog lights.

If I really should have fog lightsโ€ฆโ€ฆ (?)

For $105 Aluminess will mount a pair of Hella 500 fog lights in the bumper
โ€œ They shoot a short, wide beam that is perfect for cutting through fog.โ€
and have wire coming off them. Understandably they will not hook them up to my truck.

(I want to leave the stock bumper intact, and not cannibalize the OEM Fog light wiring harness on it, so I can easily put the stock Ford bumper back down the road, if need be)

Iโ€™d need to ideally find the correct female (?) connector to connect to the bare wires coming from each Hella 500 so I could plug them in, in place of the OEM stock Ford fog lights.

Anyone know the actual connector Ford uses?

Either that or I could buy an OEM wiring harness and splice the Hella 500 wires into it.
i THINK (but not sure if) it is Ford Part # HC3Z-15K867-B (about $30-$40-ish.)
Not sure this is the correct Ford Superduty 2019 fog light harnessโ€ฆ. I think i may have been told the wrong part #

Thoughts? Advice? thanks!

Here is the bumper I will likely get:

https://www.aluminess.com/ford/ford-trucks-2017-current-front-winch-bumper/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
9 REPLIES 9

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Fog lights are kind of like 4 wheel drive.Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. I have had them on several trucks and they are great when needed. Having said that, they only get used a few times a year.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You can find most any OE type connector online. Deutsch, weatherpak etc type connectors. Dunno specifically what is used for ford driving lights.
Probably find pre made connectors or adapters as well. Agree, I could re wire most anything as good as OE, but sometimes it's quicker, easier, and cleaner to plug n play.

Sell the OE bumper, IMO. Truck bumpers sell easily and for good money. Bout the only vehicles that still have "replaceable" bumpers anymore.

Regarding the need for fog lights? This is a preference or "need" that anyone who's been driving for more than a year? can prolly figure out for themselves.
But since you're asking the Internet what your preference should be, I'd replace the OE driving lights with a similar low beam/ low angle type LED that works for lighting up directly in front of the truck and slap a nice light bar on the cow catcher for driving where things go bump in the night!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I use my fog lights ALL the time when driving on non-interstate or city streets.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, strongly consider just selling off the OEM bumper assembly. Once you modify your truck, you will not likely want to bother to change it back EVER.
So use the existing harness, buy a new one, or just splice the connector that comes with the new fog lights into the existing wire harness, like we always did 30 years ago adding fog lights ๐Ÿ˜‰
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
PartyOf Five wrote:
We added for lights and had them wired in, then we added another aftermarket light: an LED light bar about 24" long. This is what I'd suggest- it came with an easy wiring harness and puts out 3000 lumens. We bought it at Canadian Tire, so look around and you might be surprised what's out there.

Just make sure that the light bar is street legal as many are not. My concern would be blinding other drivers with a light bar.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
I think the connecter is built directly into the back of the oem light. You will need to find a similar connector or just splice in new connectors into the stock harness. You could keep the ends if you ever want to remount the stock lights.

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Both of my vehicles came with them, they are awesome when the fog is thick.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
We added for lights and had them wired in, then we added another aftermarket light: an LED light bar about 24" long. This is what I'd suggest- it came with an easy wiring harness and puts out 3000 lumens. We bought it at Canadian Tire, so look around and you might be surprised what's out there.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You're going to put a porch on the front of your truck? ๐Ÿ˜‰ :B