Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: extra fresh water
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> extra fresh water

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So if you do bring along extra fresh water what do you do when your gray tank gets full?

My camper has a 40 gal FW tank and a 20 gal gray tank. And if I bring an extra 30 gal FW where does it go?

[image]

My vintage 1969 Excel TT did not have a gray tank, they were optional back in those days.

So I just hooked a garden hose up and let the gray water drain. I usually dug a small hole for it to drain into.

I have yet to fill my 20 gal gray tank in my camper but will this coming camping season.

Here in Utah all I can find on the US Forest Service websites is they ask you to put a screen over the end of the hose to catch any food particles so they don't attract wildlife which I think is kind of stupid.

What do you do with your gray water when you're boondocking and your tank is full??

[image]

My previous camper was this 1996 Skyline Weekender that I really liked before I found massive wood rot and the cab over started sagging. [emoticon]

The biggest thing I hated about this camper was that the shower drained into the black tank which limited how many days I could stay out. Riding ATVs every day means a shower every day.

Other than those two things I loved the camper. The interior was a lot nicer than the Lance I have and even though it was 2 ft shorter it only weighed a few hundred pounds less than my Lance.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/19 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“ I usually dug a small hole for it to drain into.”

How exciting for the camper after you to have your gray water in “a small hole.” What if everyone did this inconsiderate, illegal act? What do you care? You’ve moved on.

* This post was edited 11/28/19 09:07am by Lwiddis *

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My gray is about 18 gallons, with 30 gallons of fresh water, so I bought 15 gallons tote for times when I camp without hookups on campground with dump station.
Lot of places in southern states have water and electricity hookup, but you have to worry about carrying the waste.
Not too many places where I camp will let you run the hose, but camping in warm places, I use exterior shower a lot.

[image]

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/19 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All you could find? Quote below is from the DIXIE National Forest website...located in your state...Utah.

“For those with camp trailers, dispose of waste and grey water at dumping stations.”

See:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/cs/detailfull/!ut/p/z1/jZBPC4JAFMQ_jVffyzSs2waBluQh_NNeQmNbDXVl3fTrJ1qHoMy5zeM3A2-AQgy0StqcJyoXVVL0_kxXF_RNdBch2a5xZxxOVuCaOAqiATBeltjoO054DD18A3ROHn-IzM3_Buh0fQR0QKY--NexB8oLkY5zkSpd2hyoZDcmmdQfsj9nStXNRkMNu67TuRC8YPpVlBp-i2SiURB_klCXQRDj3SpajzwBgjMq4g!!/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/?position=Not%20Yet%20Determined.Html&pname=Dixie%20National%20Forest-%20Camping%20&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&ss=110407&pnavid=110000000000000&navid=110130000000000&ttype=detailfull&cid=stelprdb5137037

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

but you have to worry about carrying the waste.

My camper has a 28 gal BW tank. That should last me quite a while.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the ire of some folks, when gray fills up and I'm parked and not moving somewhere else, I hook up an old garden hose and run it off into the weeds, ditch line, somewhere out of the traveled way.
Serously, it doesn't hurt a thing, not stinky, not black water, just 50 gal of relatively fresh soapy water from showers and dishes. We don't wash a lot of food chunks down the drain.
No different than people who take outside or solar showers or toss the pan of dishwater into the weeds while camping.
The "perception" of it is bad because your draining a "tank" and who knows what's in there..lol.
If there are others camping nearby, it's an activity done after the last cocktail as the campfire is dying and everyone else is gone to sleepy land !

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

If there are others camping nearby, it's an activity done after the last cocktail as the campfire is dying and everyone else is gone to sleepy land !

I stayed in a KOA years ago and their campsites that had fire pits didn't have sewer hook ups so he let me drain my gray water on the lawn.

There were only a couple of other campers there at the time.

Things might have been different if the campground was full.

Like you said, gray water doesn't hurt a thing.

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
Only used for grey and then rarely-even if somewhere that ground dumping Ok Ill use to transport away from where camped. Nothing worse than pulling into pristine site to find big wet spot with corn floating. Generally haul it out. Try to camp within my capacities. I'll forgo a shower if it will avoid using the pooh bucket.

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have very large fresh, grey and black water tanks. I’ve never come close to filling up the grey or black on a camping trip. I would find a dump station if I needed one.

Grey can do harm, but there.is no sense of me pointing out why. If you care, just do a few reasonable google searches. If you want to be oblivious, I just hope you don’t dump in the areas I like. [emoticon]

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've dumped gray on the ground for years. It smells for about 15 minutes, then goes away. My gray is not full of food and/or grease, it leaves no residue.

Just don't do this in view of anyone.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> extra fresh water
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.