Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: dumping tanks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> dumping tanks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 35 gallon tote or I could use the sewer clean out at the house...I usually just use the tote though. I had a RV 30 Amp hookup put in near the water and sewer for full hookups for an RV...Comes in handy sometimes.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Northstar camper with a built in cassette toilet. I can dump at home in the toilet. If I had to go to an actual RV dump station, I am not sure where I would need to go. There was a small campground and dump located about 7 miles from my house. That is now closed. There are two other places listed on sanidumps.com but they would take close to 2 hours round trip not counting making arrangements and dumping.

I have had this same sort of issue in many locations. I love my cassette toilet giving me the option to dump in dump stations, outhouses and even in toilets. I rarely use a toilet and when I do I selection a more remote location with a door to the outside and limited other users. It is not messy to dump in a toilet but there is an odor that needs to clear.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camp at State Parks almost exclusively, and everywhere we go either has full hook-up or a dump station at the park. So, we never have to struggle over where we are going to dump.

Because we use our camper at home, almost 100% of the time, we use our Blue Tote to dump our tanks and then tote that to our septic tank and dump into the septic tank. The distance from where the camper parks and where the septic tank is located is just too far. And to consider adding a new dump line for the camper would involve quite a distance, plus going under 2 asphalt drive way sections.

So, this is how I solved the problem. We had a high rise neck put on the septic tank with an easy to remove cap. This is how the tank is pumped out now too.

I then built a ramp, very simple, just cinder blocks with a bunch of boards laid on top with some supports in the middle. All I need to do is attach the hose to the trailer, dump into the tote, and drag it to the ramp and dump away! FYI, I quit using the law mower as a tow vehicle. I found it much easier to just pull the tote by hand.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Of course, if we are at a campground that does not have full hook-up and we need to dump our tanks, we use the tote and just tow it to the dump station with the truck.

Very, very seldom do we ever travel with full tanks. But if we do, we can always dump at home too doing it this way.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

We camp at State Parks almost exclusively,

I live in a state park and always travel with a full fresh water tank because I seldom stay in state or RV parks.

Never owned a tote and doubt that I ever will.

Being a one person show my 28 gal black tanks lasts a long time.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Because we use our camper at home, almost 100% of the time, we use our Blue Tote to dump our tanks and then tote that to our septic tank and dump into the septic tank. The distance from where the camper parks and where the septic tank is located is just too far. And to consider adding a new dump line for the camper would involve quite a distance, plus going under 2 asphalt drive way sections.

I have 1 camper on my rental property in CA and I made easy "hook up" with 3/4" plastic pipes, who are easy to cover with dirt.
The flow is slow, but using camper tanks as temporary storage, works pretty well. Then once a week I dump black water, using fresh water pressure with Sewer Solution. Works as a charm.
You mention asphalt driveways on your way, but I don't see a problem to make part of the piping a steel pipe and drive cars over it.
Even garden hose will work with Sewer Solution.
Sure beats dealing with tote.

* This post was edited 11/29/19 10:57am by Kayteg1 *

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

. . . we use our camper at home, almost 100% of the time, we use our Blue Tote to dump our tanks and then tote that to our septic tank and dump into the septic tank. The distance from where the camper parks and where the septic tank is located is just too far. And to consider adding a new dump line for the camper would involve quite a distance, plus going under 2 asphalt drive way sections . . .
If you can drive reasonably close to your septic tank (within ~50 ft.), it might be less hassle just leaving the tote in the bed of your truck and using a macerator (and garden hose) to fill/empty your tote. No need to manually move or lift the tote this way.

steelhunter

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a small creek on my property.

It's a good place to empty the tanks.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

steelhunter wrote:

Best post yet!
Better duck from the onslaught coming....lol

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

steelhunter wrote:

LOL [emoticon] [emoticon]

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I built my house...RV was in the plans. I have a water and 30 amp power service in the driveway for visitors, but on the side of the house I have a water, 30 amp power,
and sewer hookup for a long stay...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> dumping tanks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.