Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Battery charging slow
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Battery charging slow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
atsrmf

Indio

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the purpose of having 4-6 volt batteries vs 2-12 volt? I assume it is due to the heavy current draw when starting a diesel.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 6 volt golf cart batteries are designed to discharged/recharged. I don't know of any truly deep cycle 12 volt batteries even though there are a few labelled as such they're really dual purpose batteries.

https://sciencing.com/marine-vs-deep-cycle-battery-5606295.html

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lurker52 wrote:

Hi All,

Upon inspecting the batteries, I noticed the date stamp was from August of 2005. I guess I never really though about the date before. Is it possible the batteries are that old and still good but not keeping a good charge?

That is 14 years the LONGEST I have ever heard of Lead Acid batteries lasting was 12. and that was Exceptional life.. 7-10 is normal mine made it 9.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The batteries charge faster on the generator or engine. We had new batteries installed in 2012. Going down the road with generator running the it took perhaps hundred miles for the batteries to show full charge on the panel. Older batteries might benefit from the desulfate setting. Read the manual on charge level and have battery compartment door open. However just getting them to full charge might be all that is needed. Check the level in the batteries too. We rarely use our battery bank, of flooded cell T105s. When we do it is by error. We left vent fan on for a month. They say to fully discharge our batteries sometimes, so we did that, and they were dry too. Filled up and charged they seem to be alright, but we will have them checked.

babock

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

The 6 volt golf cart batteries are designed to discharged/recharged. I don't know of any truly deep cycle 12 volt batteries even though there are a few labelled as such they're really dual purpose batteries.

https://sciencing.com/marine-vs-deep-cycle-battery-5606295.html
There are plenty of 12V deep discharge batteries. Almost all golf carts these days don't use 6v batteries anymore so they are either 12V or 8v. Trojan as well as many other manufacturers make them.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Battery charging slow
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.