Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Have our trucks got too much power yet?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Have our trucks got too much power yet?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've often thought about all the energy being wasted with braking applications and exhaust braking on down grades. It's only a matter of time before our rvs will have electric drive axles to help hold back on the down hill while charging a battery pack so the energy can be used to help push us up the up hill sections of our journey. Instead of having 500 hp under the hood we could get by with a more fuel efficient 300 hp diesel and have another 200 hp available at our trailer axles.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting idea, would seem to have an application for the trucking industry. Sounds expensive though. You would also have to figure that the weight of the system would count againt the amount of available cargo capacity, but maybe the math would work out.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or just switch to an electtic drivetrain and do the breaking by regeneration the way EV cars do it now. iWorks think within four or 5 years this will start to show itself in a bigger way in the truck world.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksss wrote:

Interesting idea, would seem to have an application for the trucking industry. Sounds expensive though. You would also have to figure that the weight of the system would count againt the amount of available cargo capacity, but maybe the math would work out.

Although I haven't seen one in use yet, there are companies manufacturing electric trailer axles for the trucking industry. I believe there is government policy in place that allows the GVWR of the trailer to be raised by the additional axle/battery weight so the payload is not affected.

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nope, not yet.

They are more efficient than the old ‘gas guzzlers’ I remember as a child.

I also do not believe the production of li-ion batteries is helpful to the environment at all. All energy comes with a price. Nothing is free.

The regenerative braking is a cool idea though.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

TV- 2011 Chevy Tahoe, 2WD, Hayden transmission cooler
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control
Tekonsha Voyager brake controller (Great Brake Controller)

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A German company has shown an intriguing prototype.

Self propelled camper

One big advantage of a driven trailer would be the extra traction available.

A big disadvantage is that the drive train wouldn't get used nearly as much as it would in tow vehicle so payback would be much longer. However, if the system makes such that you can pull the trailer with a much smaller vehicle there could be some real advantages in that.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

ksss wrote:

Although I haven't seen one in use yet, there are companies manufacturing electric trailer axles for the trucking industry. I believe there is government policy in place that allows the GVWR of the trailer to be raised by the additional axle/battery weight so the payload is not affected.

Bosch has one in development but not yet in production. It really sounded like well thought out technology until I read the bit about using the electric axle to move the trailer by itself. Uhh, they should figure out the part about a trailer only having wheels on one end, and you need something to support the other end and steer it.

Joking aside, the estimated 4% fuel savings might make it viable in the trucking industry, which generally doesn't seem to be interested in flashy, sexy tech unless it can reduce per-mile operating costs.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are looking at this type of add-on to some of our newer HD Ford trucks at my work right now. It is an electric motor that goes behind the transmission (driveshaft is shortened I believe) that provides a boost to the vehicle when needed and braking does help to charge the batteries. It can then be plugged in at night to fully charge the batteries. Apparently it can result in almost 50% fuel savings in some cases. The biggest problem is the cost; it is about $25k which makes the payback rather long but I do believe it would pay for itself with some of the gassers which get horrible fuel economy around the city.

Our Ford dealer has advised us that this will be a factory option within a year or two.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll take the 500 hp... Thank you very much!

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PHEV tow vehicles using energy recovery in place of an exhaust brake makes a lot of sense, so does using regen from trailer braking to charge the TV battery, or even an auxiliary battery on the trailer that could be accessed by the TV electric motor.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Have our trucks got too much power yet?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.