cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shelby, MT to Cardston, AB via MT-213

BigMac
Explorer
Explorer
I've posted this is another forum, but thought I'd put it out here as well to see if anyone had any thoughts on my question. We're going to be doing a trip next year to the Canadian Rockies, part of which will be heading west on US-2 and staying in Shelby, MT for a night before heading up to cross into Canada. My trip planner (RVTW) suggests going from Shelby to Browning, MT, then heading north on MT-464 to connect with US-89 in Babb and crossing into Canada at the Carway border crossing. Looking at a map, it seems a better way is to take MT-213 out of Cut Bank all the way up to the Canadian border at the Del Bonita Border Crossing. And going this alternate route saves me 20+ miles. Looking at MT-213 on Google Maps shows it to be a decent highway. Highway services won't matter with either route because we'll gas up in Shelby before heading out, and Cardston from there is ony about 75 miles. Just curious if anyone else has driven MT-213, and/or has crossed at the Del Bonita Border Post? I'd appreciate hearing any comments.

By the way, Cardston is just a stopover. We'll be doing Banff, Jasper, Vancover and multiple points in between before making our way to Seattle to visit family, then heading home.

Mike and Cindy

FMCA / Good Sam Member
2016 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34 PA
2010 Pontiac G6
7 REPLIES 7

BigMac
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your feedback. Looks like MT-213 is going to be the way we go.

Mike and Cindy

FMCA / Good Sam Member
2010 Pontiac G6

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
One thing about Del Bonita is there shouldn't be any long wait if there's any wait at all. It's wide open country going up there and very little to see other than the plains

BigMac
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
google Del Bonita border crossing for hours of operation as it's not open 24/7

Since will be overnighting in Shelby, we'll plan to get to the border crossing when it opens the following morning (Friday). No need for 24 hr. service. Once we get across the border, we'll head up HWY-62 a little ways until we hit 501 That will take us West all the way to Hwy-2 which we'll take North just a little further to Cardston. After Cardston, we head to Waterton and then North for points beyond. So far, anyway, I haven't heard that it's a bad route to take.

Mike and Cindy

FMCA / Good Sam Member
2010 Pontiac G6

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
google Del Bonita border crossing for hours of operation as it's not open 24/7

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We also crossed at Sweet Grass and found it good. We were headed to the town of Claresholm where we stayed in their "Centennial Park" and traveled on to Banff the next day. We chose to go through the mountains rather than through Calgary. All the roads were good. We were coming from the South so I have included these notes as well. These are the notes I use for driving. L means "turn left" and R "right"; bcms = "becomes"; sht or shrt = "short--to next turn"

I print directions onto a shirt pocket sized card.

padre wrote:
To Claresholm, AB

Back on US 89 N. L on US 87/89
@ Great Falls, R merge I-15 N
To Sweet Grass bcms AB 4
to Leithbrdge L on AB 3 W
R on AB 23 sht to L on AB 519
R on AB 2 L on AB 520
R on 4 St. W to
Centennial Park on R 334 mi

To Banff

Back to CA 2 N. L on AB 540
R on AB 22 L on AB 541
Cont onto AB 40 N.
L onto Can 1 Exit toward Banff
L onto Banff Ave shrt
L onto Tunnel Mt. Road
R into Tunnel Mt. Trailer Park
4 + hours 198 mi

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in Shelby at the Shelby RV Park and Resort not a resort but a good overnight. Took I-15 crossed over at Sweet Grass. Easy crossing with no troubles. Took Canada highways 4,3,2,8,22,1 to Banff. Took about 6-7 hours fueling up just outside of Calgary. Enjoy your trip.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’ve never crossed at Del Bonita. Carway can be a tiny bit bizzy in touring of Watertown-Glacier International Park but this is Big Country now where’s near as bizzy as crossings near big cities.
Take a left and have a look at the Alberta Rockies etc