cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram box on short bed - ill-advised for towing a 5th wheel?

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at Ram 3500 Mega Cabs with short beds for 5th wheel towing.

Does having Ram boxes on the sides of the truck bed present any kind of problem when it comes to towing a 5th wheel?
Considering Solitude 310GK 5th wheel
20 REPLIES 20

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
20% of length added between the axles equals 50% improvement in overall ride comfort.

Try it! You'll like it.

I'll never go back to standard bed.

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Yeah - with a 43' 5er, and traveling all over the country all the time, you'd best stick with a long bed dually - at MINIMUM. Actually, you'd really be better off with a SportChassis, given a rig that huge and heavy.

For myself... I'll never want to haul more 5er than a 35'. And even that is a pretty huge beast to pull behind a pickup truck."

You simply don't understand the capabilities of the modern 3500 DRW. My DRV is 41' and 24k. I also tow a MC trailer behind. ZERO difference in current combo compared to last 36' DRV.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I refuse to ever get a handicapped placard for as long as I live"

Good Man!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
AirSupport wrote:
MarkTwain wrote:
Just curious, what is the advantage of a 6' bed VS an 8' bed. The 8' bed eliminates all the issues of the trailer hitting the cab of the truck.

Well after towing a fiver with a โ€œstandardโ€ bed 2500HD for 11 years, we just bought a new 43โ€™ fiver and a 3500HD diesel dually with the long bed. We travel all over the USA. I can tell you that the long bed dually towing is far nicer than my short bed towing. Yeah itโ€™s long, but we travel without white knuckling and just go to places that will accommodate us. Nothing is perfect, but we are content.

Iโ€™d NEVER go back to a โ€œstandardโ€ (short) bed dually ever again. Besides, we enjoy walking further in parking lots when we are unhitched. Walking forces us to stay youthful. I refuse to ever get a handicapped placard for as long as I live.

Yeah - with a 43' 5er, and traveling all over the country all the time, you'd best stick with a long bed dually - at MINIMUM. Actually, you'd really be better off with a SportChassis, given a rig that huge and heavy.

For myself... I'll never want to haul more 5er than a 35'. And even that is a pretty huge beast to pull behind a pickup truck.

AirSupport
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
Just curious, what is the advantage of a 6' bed VS an 8' bed. The 8' bed eliminates all the issues of the trailer hitting the cab of the truck.

Well after towing a fiver with a โ€œstandardโ€ bed 2500HD for 11 years, we just bought a new 43โ€™ fiver and a 3500HD diesel dually with the long bed. We travel all over the USA. I can tell you that the long bed dually towing is far nicer than my short bed towing. Yeah itโ€™s long, but we travel without white knuckling and just go to places that will accommodate us. Nothing is perfect, but we are content.

Iโ€™d NEVER go back to a โ€œstandardโ€ (short) bed dually ever again. Besides, we enjoy walking further in parking lots when we are unhitched. Walking forces us to stay youthful. I refuse to ever get a handicapped placard for as long as I live.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. I will avoid the Ram box! Don't need them anyway.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Learjet wrote:
I see lots of people don't know what a Ram box is...it's the tool box built in the sides of the pickup bed which makes the inside of the pickup box narrow side to side.

The answers is yes, it is a problem with a 5th wheel...you'll need a Side winder pin box (or similar brand) on your trailer to have clearance inside the pickup box for turning....This would also give you clearance for tighter turns with the short pick bed and the cab. Two different issues "Ram box" and Short bed.

Wow, not until last post on the first page did OP get the answer to the Ram Box issues.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Yes!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
The bed opening is narrower with the Rambox. I have read of issues with the pin box hitting the sides of the bed while turning. You will need a short style pin box to avoid this but that will cause problems with the short bed.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MarkTwain wrote:

YA don't say!!!!!!!

OH they are easier to park, OH they fit in my garage, Whatever.:B

OP, the RamBox is NOT designed for a 5er!!!

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I see lots of people don't know what a Ram box is...it's the tool box built in the sides of the pickup bed which makes the inside of the pickup box narrow side to side.

The answers is yes, it is a problem with a 5th wheel...you'll need a Side winder pin box (or similar brand) on your trailer to have clearance inside the pickup box for turning....This would also give you clearance for tighter turns with the short pick bed and the cab. Two different issues "Ram box" and Short bed.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
I think what OP is wondering about is opening up the RAM boxes on top of pick up box itself and not so much hitting back of cab. If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance.

Thanks for the clarification. What are RAM boxes?

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I think what OP is wondering about is opening up the RAM boxes on top of pick up box itself and not so much hitting back of cab. If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"