cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto leveling airbag system??? How important is this?

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Auto Leveling Airbag system???? I don't know enough about this feature - can you help?

This truck has more than enough towing & payload capacity for my 5th wheel needs, BUT... it does NOT have Auto Leveling Airbags. Should I pass on it for that reason?

Or - am I likely to do just fine WITHOUT auto leveling air bags?

Or - can I do just as well installing an aftermarket airbag system?

I can wait for another truck to come along that has factory airbags, if they are something that I am quite likely to want to have.

Lastly, will airbags make for a more comfortable ride when we are not towing?

Moderator edit to re-size images to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

Considering Solitude 310GK 5th wheel
15 REPLIES 15

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who provided assistance here. I know now exactly what I want and need in terms of the truck. Of course that means I will be getting a the most feature-laden vehicle that RAM makes, but life is short and it's good to treat yourself!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
DesertDogs wrote:
I recently test-drove two 3500 duallies, one without the auto leveling air suspension system, and one with.

Though the roads driven were different, between the two test drives, it did seem to me that the one with the air suspension did ride a little bit more softly.

Rather than have to, potentially, get involved with adding on aftermarket air systems, I've decided to go with the factory air suspension system.

Good call, you will be more than impressed!!! Run 35psi unloaded and what your load dictates when towing. Leave it in aLT Ride Mode ALL the time. Lower entry/exit, great ride and no messing around later with bags or?????
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
I recently test-drove two 3500 duallies, one without the auto leveling air suspension system, and one with.

Though the roads driven were different, between the two test drives, it did seem to me that the one with the air suspension did ride a little bit more softly.

Rather than have to, potentially, get involved with adding on aftermarket air systems, I've decided to go with the factory air suspension system.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
PacBrake bags required 5psi empty. Did not notice and difference. Personally never heard of 10 psi min.

I've always wondered what one condition or 1/2 ton truck the minimum air pressure was written for. My dually has overload springs and I've driven many times with the airbag valve stems removed with no damage to my bags. So, I've always assumed that the minimum air pressure was written for a weak or overloaded condition on specific class of trucks.

I am under the impression that the minimum is for bottoming out, and not damaging the airbag. I have to guess the OE air ride Rams have air in them all the time, and automatically adjust to weight.

My aftermarket Airlift air bags have a bump stop in them ,and supposedly can be run empty. I don't, I run 5 psi when not towing my fifth wheel .

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
I purposely chose not to get the factory auto-level, and don't think you can go wrong with that truck.

My previous truck had the Kelderman 4-link. The factory auto-level doesn't compare to that system so I wasn't interested. Most aftermarket suspension components say that they are not compatible with the factory air ride. I didn't want to limit myself to the factory options, and if for some reason I want air in the future, I'll go back to Kelderman for their more robust 4-link system. I've been pleasantly surprised with the progressive leafs so far.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
PacBrake bags required 5psi empty. Did not notice and difference. Personally never heard of 10 psi min.

I've always wondered what one condition or 1/2 ton truck the minimum air pressure was written for. My dually has overload springs and I've driven many times with the airbag valve stems removed with no damage to my bags. So, I've always assumed that the minimum air pressure was written for a weak or overloaded condition on specific class of trucks.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
As a side note, that is an absolutely gorgeous truck!!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Something has to carry the truck whether air or steel springs, I added air bags to a older truck 2006 and it did make it stiffer in the rear with only the minimum 10lb pressure in them.
Frank
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
DesertDogs wrote:
Apparently the ride is better, even with an unloaded truck, with the factory auto level air, because with that system, the leaf springs themselves are not as stiff.

Looks like that's the way to go. Thank you.

Good call!

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently the ride is better, even with an unloaded truck, with the factory auto level air, because with that system, the leaf springs themselves are not as stiff.

Looks like that's the way to go. Thank you.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with dapper dan, I have the Factory Rear air Ride, it's a flawless system. Take my advice look for it or simply order the truck YOU want.

I run full RAWR of 9,750# or more and the truck rides GREAT and sets nearly level loaded or not.

I had bags on my 11 DRW RAM, they improved the loaded ride a lot. Unloaded the bags did not change the ride. My 15 with factory bags rides much better than the 11 did unloaded.

You are spending that much on a new truck $1,300 isn't going to make a big difference. If you decide to get a GOOD air bag system you will spend about the same. then from personal experience you will be dealing with air line leaks with any weather changes.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
With the trucks sitting so high these days, I have virtually no air in my manual air bags to seek a level 5th wheel while towing. The air bags came in handy with my cabover camper but not needed at all for my 5th wheel.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
I have the factory (rear) air suspension on our 2015 RAM. The air suspension "seeks" it's own level whatever the load is you put on the rear axel! I had Firestone air bags on our old '06 RAM just for leveling the ruck with the fiver on. Now the 2015 levels itself each and every time I add weight to the box. My truck ALWAYS sits level, load or NO load!

Our rear air has worked flawlessly since new! I love it!

Dan