Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Weight capacity for 2019 Ram 1500
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Weight capacity for 2019 Ram 1500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 11:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Ram 1500 with a TC made Truck Camper Magazines calendar for 2020..

[image]

That looks like 6 foot camper?
Interesting would be interior floor-plan

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

COG is still not a thing. No modern camper manufacturer would design a TC where that would be a problem. Sure, you can put a TC made for a long bed on a short one to make COG off, but otherwise, it’s not even worth a consideration.

Based on that line of fake numbers, there would be less weight on the rear if the COG is in front of the rear axle. So, all we’d need to do is put a few heavy objects in the front of the rear axle and we could transfer 10% of the weight to the front axle.. Why stop there, just put a few more items in the front and put 20% on the front axle.

Seriously?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back on topic, if the OP even comes back.
A new 1/2 ton isn’t going to fall apart or die with 2000lbs in the bed. Period.
But I’d much prefer the strong simplicity of leaf springs for this application.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Ram 1500 with a TC made Truck Camper Magazines calendar for 2020..

[image]

Its squatting. [emoticon]

I can't believe he didn't buy a dually, installed air bags and add a 3" sway bar.

WTH do you think his COG is??? That doesn't even look road worthy. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 12/02/19 10:27am by specta *

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Its squatting. [emoticon]

I can't believe he didn't buy a dually, installed air bags and add a 3" sway bar.

WTH do you think his COG is??? That doesn't even look road worthy. [emoticon]

you did not notice that there is like 3 ft of camper behind the axle?
I have seen few of those rental Lances on F150 last summer.
Not something I would be comfortable in, beside lack of jacks for weight reducing.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

COG is still not a thing. No modern camper manufacturer would design a TC where that would be a problem. Sure, you can put a TC made for a long bed on a short one to make COG off, but otherwise, it’s not even worth a consideration.

Based on that line of fake numbers, there would be less weight on the rear if the COG is in front of the rear axle. So, all we’d need to do is put a few heavy objects in the front of the rear axle and we could transfer 10% of the weight to the front axle.. Why stop there, just put a few more items in the front and put 20% on the front axle.

Seriously?
That is exactly what a weight distributing hitch does . If you put a MC on the front or the rear you don't think it would change the axle loads . No it doesn't change the COG of the TC but it does change the COG of the complete rig .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

That is exactly what a weight distributing hitch does . If you put a MC on the front or the rear you don't think it would change the axle loads . No it doesn't change the COG of the TC but it does change the COG of the complete rig .

Kind of a red herring. A WD hitch is to minimize the impact of the weight you just added to the rear by hooking the trailer up. It would do the same thing if a TC wasn’t even on the truck.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

ticki2 wrote:

Kind of a red herring. A WD hitch is to minimize the impact of the weight you just added to the rear by hooking the trailer up. It would do the same thing if a TC wasn’t even on the truck.
my comments were addressing how you could have more than the simple weight of a load on the rear axle . I gave a few examples of how weight can be shifted from one axle to another . Do you disagree ?

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know you guys enjoy doing this, but FYI the OP never came back, I suppose he was scared away after first couple replies.

Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

OMG, WTH is a MC? ISL WATA......

(I'm so lost with all these acronyms....lol. FWIW, in order for an acronym to make sense, it either needs to be one that is already known, or identify it properly "motor cycle (MC)" and so on.)

I presume you were referring to mounting a motorcycle on a bike rack front or back of the camper and not a Muenster cheese?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Weight capacity for 2019 Ram 1500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.