Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Weight capacity for 2019 Ram 1500
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Weight capacity for 2019 Ram 1500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

ticki2 wrote:

That is exactly what a weight distributing hitch does . If you put a MC on the front or the rear you don't think it would change the axle loads . No it doesn't change the COG of the TC but it does change the COG of the complete rig .

OMG, WTH is a MC? ISL WATA......

(I'm so lost with all these acronyms....lol. FWIW, in order for an acronym to make sense, it either needs to be one that is already known, or identify it properly "motor cycle (MC)" and so on.)

I presume you were referring to mounting a motorcycle on a bike rack front or back of the camper and not a Muenster cheese?

Micro camper... duh.

I'm surprised Kayteg1 hasn't chimed in. He usually has lots of input and opinions that would just stop all this nonsense and settle the issue....

So what happened to the OP (Original Poster)? you still there buddy? Lots of effort here on your behalf. Chime in, you can get to your therapy session later (after reading all this...it would be a good place to be).

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '11 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

ticki2 wrote:

That is exactly what a weight distributing hitch does . If you put a MC on the front or the rear you don't think it would change the axle loads . No it doesn't change the COG of the TC but it does change the COG of the complete rig .

(I'm so lost with all these acronyms....lol. FWIW, in order for an acronym to make sense, it either needs to be one that is already known, or identify it properly "motor cycle (MC)" and so on.)

I presume you were referring to mounting a motorcycle on a bike rack front or back of the camper and not a Muenster cheese?
sorry to have lost you with MC . FWIW ( for what it's worth ) , OMG ,WTH,MC,ISL and FWIW are all initialisms not acronyms . An acronym forms a pronounceable word .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 10:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

ticki2 wrote:

sorry to have lost you with MC . FWIW ( for what it's worth ) , OMG ,WTH,MC,ISL and FWIW are all initialisms not acronyms . An acronym forms a pronounceable word .

Ha.. well played, schooled again. Had to look it up just to clarify.

NASA and NATO would be two examples of 'acronyms' we all know well. Used those just to clarify the difference for me.

See, the interweb can learn you!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 12:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

COG is still not a thing. No modern camper manufacturer would design a TC where that would be a problem. Sure, you can put a TC made for a long bed on a short one to make COG off, but otherwise, it’s not even worth a consideration.

Based on that line of fake numbers, there would be less weight on the rear if the COG is in front of the rear axle. So, all we’d need to do is put a few heavy objects in the front of the rear axle and we could transfer 10% of the weight to the front axle.. Why stop there, just put a few more items in the front and put 20% on the front axle.

Seriously?

If you are talking about empty camper direct from the manufacture (built exactly to spec), there is a bit of truth.

But manufacturers don't load the camper, so yes, the COG for the loaded camper can and does shift in real life.

And yes, if the COG is in front of the axle, yes, less of the camper weight goes on the rear axle (note the original comment said 80-110%)...usually it will be pretty close to 100% of the camper weight on the rear axle but again, depends on where the COG for the fully loaded camper sits.

10% of the camper weight off the front axle...you likely will never know the difference as there is still plenty of weight on the front axle for it to perform it's functions.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 12:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Valhalla360. think about this ... manufacturers that bother to list COG, list the COG as a number. Got any idea why they don’t just give a range to match what you say changes?

I’ll help. It’s because it’s a static measurement. No, it doesn’t change just like the weight/height/width don’t. It’s ok to be wrong, and in this case, you are.

If you want to talk about the weight on front axle and weight on rear axle, do that. Just don’t confuse COG with those numbers which will never be known until you stale the truck/TC.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 12:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The center of gravity is the point where the camper should balance if you supported it on a single horizontal pole, running left-to-right.
That absolutely does change when filling water tanks, adding batteries, cargo, etc.
The original, empty camper COG stays the same but the real-world effective COG the truck actually sees changes from the factory spec.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 12:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman, I mentioned that the distribution of weight on the front and rear axles can change. That can be measured by going to a scale that records weight by axle.

How do you measure effective COG?

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The center of gravity on my camper is somewhere between the road, the top of my AC unit cover and my two bumpers.

Has anyone figured out weight capacity of the OP's truck yet?

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

burningman, I mentioned that the distribution of weight on the front and rear axles can change. That can be measured by going to a scale that records weight by axle.

You don't measure it, unless you do it how burning man said and actually balance beam the camper, but you can calculate it easily with loaded and unloaded axle weights then measure what you calculated from either support (axle).

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

If your front axle gains weight, your CG is good. If it loses weight, it is behind your rear axle.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Weight capacity for 2019 Ram 1500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.