cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on using auto level while stored for the winter

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I have emptied and winterized my 5th wheel for the winter. It is in a storage yard with a gravel base. I used the auto level system and it is level so all four jacks are down and are on those orange leveling pads.

My question is should I keep the rear jacks down or not?

I'm going to cover it as soon as the cover I ordered arrives this week. I'm thinking that I may want to make it nose high so the rain and water run off a little better.

Your thoughts?

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
5 REPLIES 5

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Even an inch or two nose high will likely go a long way.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
memtb wrote:
If level when on the jacks, the roof “should” be designed to drain the water! memtb

I can't think of a single RV built in the past 20 years that doesn't have a crowned roof. That said, a couple inches nose high can't hurt, but likely isn't necessary.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
If level when on the jacks, the roof “should” be designed to drain the water! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If assuming your slides are in and your trailer has the arched roof, there is no need to park it nose high. If it's a flat roof, then it won't hurt anything to keep it slightly nose high.

Personally, I'd go ahead and level and keep jacks down. Your front jacks are down all the time already, aren't they? They are no different then the rear or middle jacks.

Keeping the trailer level as possible is really best for the camper. With jacks down and level because you have multiple points of support occuring on the camper. Depending on the weather in your location, this is best for high winds and / or driving rain. The more points of contact to the ground, the more stable the trailer is. (granted, there is such a thing as too high a wind that could turn over ... even a semi-truck).

When you are parked in a campground, do you not have the trailer leveled and all jacks down? What's the difference between storage or a campground? None.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
It isn't an issue of weight on the jacks so I'd go with the nose high approach.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk