cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12V TVs - Size from 24-32

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any suggestions for a TV that takes 12V adapter that are currently on the market? I know "RV" tvs are very expensive so I am looking for a TV that accepts 12V adapter.

Insignia used to make TVs with 12V adapter that looks like this

link
thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My 28 inch 110 volt TV uses 45 watts and I have a 100 watt max PSW inverter dedicated to it. About 90-95% efficient...”wasting” a max of 4.5 watts or so. Minimal!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
while your buying the new tv get one with built in dvd player ,bought ours at best buys.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV 12V TV's are generally way behind in technology

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:

The TV itself sucks. I would get a regular 120v tv and a small inverter.

NOT a good solution.
My 12 V TV runs directly from 12 V.
Don't see any advantage to having a 110 to 12 "adapter" to accomplish that.
Mine does not "suck". Got it from CW but don't remember the brand.

Note: If you do get a 12 V only model AND want to use it without shore power or gen active......don't go too big. The current drain might be more than you want.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of 12 volt TVs on Amazon. Up to 40".
We have 2 12 volt TVs in out MH.
No getting up to turn on or off inverters. Just push the power button on the remote and watch over the air TV.
It a different story for satellite TV. The DW has to go turn on the inverter.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
My new TT came with a 32" Jensen HD TV. If and when it conks out I'll be switching to a 120V TV at 1/3 the cost and use a small inverter.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
Get PSW inverter to be safe. The TV in my bedroom has a brick (23") and the brick gets hot when using my 400W MSW inverter.
Yeah, talk about your wasted energy.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Get PSW inverter to be safe. The TV in my bedroom has a brick (23") and the brick gets hot when using my 400W MSW inverter, but not when using my 300W PSW.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
My 12v TV runs off that adapter. Seems silly I have to be on shore power to use my 12v tv.

Meant to run 12v to it but havnt yet.

The TV itself sucks. I would get a regular 120v tv and a small inverter.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
What you are asking for is a TV with an EXTERNAL "12V" power supply (AKA power brick).

Pretty much all manufacturers have abandoned external power supplies for larger TVs for various reasons. You might still find some of the smaller TVs in sub 20" size IF you can even find those smaller TVs.

I understand your reasoning to eliminate the extra power wasted by not using a 12 to 120V inverter then a 12V power supply..

But really, get over it, the very small tiny amount of power used to get the 120V via an inverter is so minute it amounts to expanding your TV viewing by MINUTES (yeah, sub 60 minutes) for say 24 hrs of useage.

In other words, not worth the hassle to fight what is NOW a "standard" in TVs (a internal power supply).

Additionally, you do need to understand that the TVs that did or might use an external 12V brick did so without taking BATTERY "12V" into consideration.

Battery "12V" is not 12V, it is actually 13.8 nominal and can range from 11V (dead) to 14.4V (CHARGING).

Most of the TVs which used a 12V external power supply are EXPECTING 12.0V NOMINAL for proper operation (12.0V is COMPUTER "12V" and a computer typically is designed to work from 11.9-12.1V).

Operation below or above computer 12V is not guaranteed and may result in your TV not operating correctly or even DAMAGE to the TV.

The ONLY times it is really safe to use a TV on a 12V battery is IF the TV was DESIGNED specifically for battery operation and it will have a power input port which is labeled 13.8V.

Anything else and you ARE taking your chances.

Buy a SMALL inverter (200W-300W) to run your TV and forget about trying to find your "unicorn" TV.. Small inverters use less power and using one that is not over sized means you will be operating within the highest efficiency range which is above 50% load.