Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Chucking....is it the trailer or the truck?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Chucking....is it the trailer or the truck?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Lightning55

Pleasanton, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this has been discussed a thousand times and there are a thousand opinions about it's cause and remedy, but I can't continue to keep changing everything or buying new equipment in hopes of correcting the problem. I have to believe that it has something to do with relationship between the truck and trailer (weight, wheel base, axle-suspension location, or the like). I tow a 37' 5th wheel with a GMC 2500HD Duramax short bed. It was so bad over bumps that I dreaded towing this rig. I finally installed a Moryde pin box and it really did help. It doesn't fix the chucking but dampens it enough to make a difference but I can still feel it and I know it's hard on my equipment. I've changed pin weight, leveled the FW, installed Bilstein shocks and nothing has really changed anything except the rubber pinbox. It is so common with 5th wheels that I'm really surprised that some industry mechanical engineers haven't figured out what's really the cause of this condition. Maybe someone out there has some information that I haven't read about yet?

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/19 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just ignore it, it does not harm anything. I drove tankers with partial loads, and they had a very lively ride. Sometimes I was afraid I might get seasick.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What hitch are you using?

Are you airing your tires based on your actual weights?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you weighed the rig and checked you pin weight and your trucks GAWR and GVWR?

Either light on the pin or too heavy for the truck can often be a problem.

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My triple axle toyhauler was murder over the bridge transitions and sharp bumps like that. I installed the Dexter EZ-Flex kit, with the wet bolts, and it was a night and day difference. Best money I've spend to improve the ride.

The toyhauler towed worse when there was no weight in the back and therefore a heavier hitch weight. Taking weight off the pin helped the ride. This is with a quad cab 2001 Dodge dually, and a 40' toyhauler.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/19 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chucking (the motion - not the noise it may cause) is a dynamic interaction between the truck and the trailer. It varies based on the characteristics of the truck and the trailer. All the various hitches can do is make more or less noise. The only effective way to deal with chucking is to install a dampened pin box or an air-ride hitch.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is the trailer. On our 27' fifth wheel, we installed the MorRyde hitch which helped about 50% with chucking. Then we installed the MorRyde SRE4000 rubberized equalizer. Checking GONE! When we traded up to a 37' fifth wheel, the trailer went straight from the dealer to an axle shop for an SRE4000 installation with X-Factor braces on all 3 pairs of spring hangers, and the Dexter wet bolt kit. Again, chucking almost all gone. Big boys use the MorRyde IS system and swear by it, but that's big bucksand it is designed for 7K and 8K axles. MorRyde recommends the SRE4000 up to 6K. The SRE4000 is easily installed replacing the solid equalizer. It does require 3" of prior tire clearance--it adds another 1" of clearance, and requires 4" after installation for the additional motion of the axles. I assume that the better ride is easier on the trailer as well as reducing chucking. All of this does not reduce the bumps in the tow vehicle--the chucking is gone but the jarring from the truck axle going over bumps is still there. Can't afford to convert the truck to air suspension.

Lightning55

Pleasanton, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 07:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not weighed the truck or trailer. I have added 200-300 lbs to the pin and it made no difference. I've run with full water tank and empty, no difference. I leveled the trailer to like almost perfectly level and it made no difference. I use the Andersen Ultimate hitch. I've never tried it with any other kind of hitch. Based on all of the printed capacities of the truck and trailer I'm under the max limits. Btw, there is no noise associated with this, it's a forward and backward jerking motion which is triggered over bumps or dips in the road. The rubber Moryde pinbox helped a lot but it still jerks around over dips, but the rubber pinbox absorbs a lot of it. I think Second Chance's description is pretty much right on the money. I guess I need to get used to it or get rid of it.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You definitely don't have to put up with it. The EZ-Flex will get rid of most of the problem, and cost around $250 for a tandem axle. If you like the trailer, don't get rid of it, just get rid of the chucking.

Lightning55

Pleasanton, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm definitely going to look into the EZ Flex. If it gets rid of even half of the chucking, I'd be happy.
Thanks for the input.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Chucking....is it the trailer or the truck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.