cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What jack to have onboard for roadside tire changes?

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I have managed to travel in my HR for 10 years without ever having a flat or blow-out on the road. I have always carried a 6-ton bottle jack thinking that I would use that and boards as needed if the situation ever occurred.

Today I watched a you-tube video on a blow-out incident and I am embarrassed to admit that I now realize a bottle jack will never work when a front rim with a shredded tire has dug itself down into the shoulder of the road. I suppose what I really should be taking might be a low-profile floor jack?

What do you recommend as the best type of jack to carry for roadside tire changes?

Thanks for your advice.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO
27 REPLIES 27

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Pert neer 1978, From Russelville, Ark, past Mt Juliet. A sign next services 200 and some miles. No motor home then a 4x4 Dodge pickup. And I could change a tire.
Change a 22.5 tire and wheel of over 100 lbs on the side of the road with wrench and bottle jack. at 71, I don't think so. Back then no sech things as cellophones.
Wife's Aunt and unlce lived at the bottom of mtn in a cabin. Lots of Elk and Bar, and other critters that screamed during the night. I been thinkin of a 2 meter radio, hoping their are relays for tire changes in the middle of this bit patch of sand and mtns. Maqybe wife could take one end of the wrench and me the other and loosen the, how many lugs is it; 10 @ 240 lbs torque each, I don't know. She's stouter than she looks. Can use the 2 meter radio for 911, after the heart attack.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
wallynm wrote:
And if you are in the middle of the desert with no cell phone service?

rk911 wrote:
a working, charged cellphone, a roadside service plan and a credit card.

send up a flare, use the toad to go for help, kill an endangered earth worm to attract the looney media. :E. no way i'm gonna wrestle a 22.5" tire.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
And if you are in the middle of the desert with no cell phone service?

rk911 wrote:
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I do not carry any jack on my coach. I have four Quadra Big Foot levelers that will lift the coach off the ground if needed.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
Be wary of AAA. I have (expires 12/9) AAA Premium Tow. A towing company out of Monterey Park, Cal aka Freeway Towing, damaged the yoke on my MH, removed the driveshaft, I had to put it back in, stole my computers, have attempted to use those computers on various occasions, and AAA could care less.

They also demanded $850 in cash before he would move the motorhome at the initial tow even though I had Premium AAA.

Needless to say, there is now a case number with the police department, and now a pending civil suit in Superior Court where both Freeway Towing, and AAA and I will be facing a judge.

Does AAA care? Nope. If a tow company damages your rig, you are on your own guys. I have insurance now through USAA and they treat me like gold.

I can assure you, this screwup by AAA and their tow company they sent out to rescue me and my MH in October is far from being over. You know there are situations in this world where you become very pragmatic.

Footnote: The driver of the tow rig did not fill out any log books when towing me from SoCal to NorCal that night. His driving was horrible, he clearly was on some chemical.

He bragged about being the Cal Highway Patrol in SoCal's #1 tow company they call when big rigs are disabled. AAA is owned by a large company out of Florida. They were served yesterday....

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
On my previous M. H. I used the levelers to change a front tire and at a later date a rear outside dual. I also carry a bottle jack in case the levelers won't get it high enough. If the axle is too low to get the bottle jack under the levelers should get it high enough. My M H only has 19.5 tires, If they were any bigger I am not sure I could handle them. I do have G.S. roadside assistance, but I hate to sit on the side of the road for an hour or more for something I can do myself. I an 75 so things keep getting harder but I think I can still do it! LOL
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a mounted spare and the tools to change it. I really hate being dependent on others. I don't know how long I'll be able to do this but at 76 I'm still twisting nuts and bolts part time.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
yep,I,m to darn old to be wrestling tires. cell ph, and coach net has wok well for us. and it only took them two hrs job done.from call to thank you. an a nice tip.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Change a 22.5X10:00 in a emergency only. I can, but don't carry a spare.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
aaa

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Executive wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Like someone above I have Coach Net, a cell phone, and various credit cards and cash. 78 years old and not fooling with flat tires but there is a mounted 22.5 spare sitting in my garage, why I don't know! But what about those areas of our country where there is no cell service?

No cell service means an LEO will be by shortly....Dennis

Good one! :B

I've been in places out West where the nearest gas station was over 100 miles away. If, and it is a big if, an LEO comes by what is he going to do other than MAYBE being able to use his radio to let someone know that you are stranded? Finding a place that has a tire, and will come and change it, can mean a long long wait. Next time watch the man that comes out and changes your tires, be it 19" or 22". They all know the tricks and you can learn a lot about handling a large tire. Also you can get an inexpensive electric impact wrench that has a breakaway torque of over 1000 ft. pounds. To minimize your exposure to this problem, stick to the interstate highways.

Trumpet_Player
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
2012 American Coach Revolution

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Like someone above I have Coach Net, a cell phone, and various credit cards and cash. 78 years old and not fooling with flat tires but there is a mounted 22.5 spare sitting in my garage, why I don't know! But what about those areas of our country where there is no cell service?

No cell service means an LEO will be by shortly....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
rk911 wrote:

THIS ...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG