cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And the smokey glass stove cover is no more

jdtrotter
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, what a LOUD noise that glass cover made as it exploded into 92000 tiny glass pieces. Transition eye glasses stay dark for quite a while when one walks into a warm trailer from the snowy outside. And we wanted to get the water going for cooking the rice. It was brown rice for health reasons. If it had been white rice, we may have waited longer, glasses would have cleared so we would have noticed that smokey glass cover was down before turning on the burner. So yes, it is all the fault of health claims for brown rice. 😉

I secured the dogs and quietly assisted in cleaning up the glass as DH was doing an over the top job of verbally abusing himself. It seemed worse because our Nash 17k is only a few months old.
It is a three burner Fuirron stove and I started to look online for what to do. It seems that I mostly found that Furrion wants one to replace the entire stove top? It seems to me, that while we are having difficulty in seeing how the remaining back hinge is attached, one should be able to replace just the glass? While I am sure no one has done something like this, but maybe you have helped someone who has?

Thank you.

Diane
23 REPLIES 23

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I'd go with the person who said get something fire safe.

Maybe you feel you have learned your lesson and you guys will never do it again, but me, I would definitely do it again someday.

Sheet metal, FTW.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
garyemunson wrote:
Do not have a glass shop make a cover to save a few bucks. Those must be tempered glass for safety...shops cannot cut tempered.

I agree in that a glass shop cannot cut tempered glass. But, I've been down this path twice with a side window on my trailer so I can say that a glass shop can help you. They just measure out the dimensions and location of the holes and make a template. Then they order the piece from the glass manufacturer who cuts and drills it and then tempers it before shipping.

All that being said it will probably be much cheaper to order the 99 dollar one posted.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
How about a folding stainless lid. You can get the holes over the burner cut out by lazer, no turning the stove on and not noticing.

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
My sister did this to our glass cooktop. We haven't replaced it, doesn't seem to be much need. We might like a little more cooking space but the glass was such a hassle to clean up I don't really want to tempt fate.

jdtrotter
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the great replies. I am exceptionally happy to know it can be bought for $100.00. I forgot how helpful this forum is. We were active several years ago when we had a truck camper, but stayed more with the R-Pod forum when we owned that rolling disaster. Now with our Nash, I will probably hang around here more.

The help is really appreciated.

jdtrotter
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
"While I am sure no one has done something like this, but maybe you have helped someone who has?"

Ha love this!
Just like when someone is asking, you know, "for a friend!"

Hope you get your cooktop fixed. Cheers!

🙂 Just want to protect the "innocent". :W

jdtrotter
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
For the OP? Question?

Help me understand. Was the burner turned on while the glass cover was closed?

What you were saying is, you didn't realize the cover was closed when you came in from the outside and fired up the stove? So the flame making contact with the glass cover caused it to explode?

Question also? Was the camper cold? Like freezing inside? So when the flame touched the glass, the glass was... like 20 degrees and then instantly getting hit with fire causing it to explode, or was the camper already heated inside when you entered? Either way, the flame made contact with the glass?

Reason I'm asking is because I have a Furrion stove also with the glass flip back-bi-fold cover. I've often wondered, what would happen if the cover was left closed and the burner turned on?

I would have imagined that glass would have been heat and fire resistant. But... maybe not?

Our previous TT did not have a cover at all. I used a large wooden cutting board. Never had a problem using that. It had a cork pad attached on the bottom which prevented sliding around on the burners while in transit.

Here's another suggestion if you can't locate another glass top:

Click here.

It was warm cold outside, but warm in the trailer which is why our eye glasses stayed tinted for too long. I also thought that the glass top was probably heat resistant and may be, but not completely.

So, trailer was warm and glass top was closed. Pan of water was placed on top and burner was turned on. Maybe 10 or less minutes later, the glass exploded. We don't know if the flame actually was touching the glass, but it was turned on high. Thus, your glass cover is not totally heat resistant. Be careful. 🙂

jdtrotter
Explorer
Explorer
ggardne2 wrote:
Is thsi what you are looking for?

Furion Top Glass

YES and I like the price. For some reason I was coming up with prices of up to $300.00.

THANK YOU

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ggardne2 wrote:
Is thsi what you are looking for?

Furion Top Glass

If that's what you need, ORDER IT!
Looking at my suppliers, it costs twice that much through the warehouse supplier that sells stuff to RV dealers.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

WBarnard
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same thing happen to our 2016 Rockwwod by some guests. Cost us a hundred bucks. Called the dealer and they special orders a new unit. All I wanted was the glass but it comes in a kit. I still have the framing -brackets etc.. laying around.
It's an easy change out replacing the glass assy.
Good luck

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
"While I am sure no one has done something like this, but maybe you have helped someone who has?"

Ha love this!
Just like when someone is asking, you know, "for a friend!"

Hope you get your cooktop fixed. Cheers!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
For the OP? Question?

Help me understand. Was the burner turned on while the glass cover was closed?

What you were saying is, you didn't realize the cover was closed when you came in from the outside and fired up the stove? So the flame making contact with the glass cover caused it to explode?

Question also? Was the camper cold? Like freezing inside? So when the flame touched the glass, the glass was... like 20 degrees and then instantly getting hit with fire causing it to explode, or was the camper already heated inside when you entered? Either way, the flame made contact with the glass?

Reason I'm asking is because I have a Furrion stove also with the glass flip back-bi-fold cover. I've often wondered, what would happen if the cover was left closed and the burner turned on?

I would have imagined that glass would have been heat and fire resistant. But... maybe not?

Our previous TT did not have a cover at all. I used a large wooden cutting board. Never had a problem using that. It had a cork pad attached on the bottom which prevented sliding around on the burners while in transit.

Here's another suggestion if you can't locate another glass top:

Click here.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Spend the hundred bucks for the whole stovetop- that’s not really bad.
-- Chris Bryant

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
Just my opinion but .... DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON THERE THAT WILL BURN. Those saying to put wood on there, very bad idea. A burner gets turned on under the wood next thing your camper is on fire. Either replace the glass or make a cover out of sheet metal.

Yeah, I wouldn’t do that, either. Just giving Mr. Murphy a head start.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch