cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dealing with pet passing while on the road

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have an older dog who's really get up there in age. Nothing specific, or time based, just getting slow in her old age.

If she should happen to pass while we're traveling, how do you find a good local vet?
17 REPLIES 17

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
dfm wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
If you are wanting to take the remains home, then consider cremation. Typically can be done in a couple of days depending on the provider. Or if longer, they may ship the remains to your home for you.

We lost our "Georgie Girl" 2 years ago when we were in Arizona for several months. When I asked the vet about cremation and wether the ashes were in fact really our Girls ashes his answer was "We try to have some of her ashes " They did multiple animal cremations. So ask the question when making the decision about cremation.

I agree.

From https://www.oneworldmemorials.com/blogs/news/83394438-pet-cremation-and-pet-ashes

There are three types of pet cremation: private, comingled, and partitioned. In a private cremation, only one animal's body is in the oven. During a partitioned cremation, multiple animals may be in the incinerator at the same time, but they are separated so that the remains from each can be collected separately. Some "active comingling" of remains is unavoidable. Communal cremation is the burning of several animals at once, without any form of separation.

dfm
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
If you are wanting to take the remains home, then consider cremation. Typically can be done in a couple of days depending on the provider. Or if longer, they may ship the remains to your home for you.

We lost our "Georgie Girl" 2 years ago when we were in Arizona for several months. When I asked the vet about cremation and wether the ashes were in fact really our Girls ashes his answer was "We try to have some of her ashes " They did multiple animal cremations. So ask the question when making the decision about cremation.
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for the thoughtful suggestions.

It is interesting in my immediate B&M home, none of the vets are AAHA, including our vet who is rated 5 stars by everybody. It's run by a husband and wife team. Husband is the primary caretaker, and when our last dog passed, only the wife was in the office, even she shed some tears, but he was a special dog.

I hope she doesn't pass on the road, but I want to be mentally prepared with how to handle it.

dturm
We had several situations like this over the 40+ years I was in practice. Living in an urban area, I don't recall any campers, but several on vacation or passing through. We dealt with a local business that could offer cremation and if that couldn't be done within the time frame the ashes were shipped.

I would get recommendations from the campground people, the AAHA website or lastly from internet reviews.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our pets so far have all been cremated and their ashes returned to us. I do google searches for vets in the area and then read their reviews. I have found some really good vets like this. Our dog is 15 and hopefully this won't happen soon, but we are full-time, and it could be anyplace. We would park and wait while she received treatment, or, wait for her ashes to be returned. Locating a vet is one of the 1st things I do when we arrive at a new location.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
A local vet office will be able to advise you on local options.
Currently Between RVs

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Personally I would be more concerned about what would happen to the Collies if something happened to me while on the road.

Leave contact info in your wallet/purse/rig. "In case of emergency and I cannot return to my dogs please contact...".

We didn't travel that much with our dogs (for various reasons) and we knew the areas we took them to already. I'd suggest if you are going to be in one spot for any length of time you pre-scope for a vet. Hard to do if you are moving from spot to spot but if you are staying for a while you can be a little bit prepared so you aren't scrambling while you are stressed.
Where my seasonal is at up North I know the vet and a copy of their medical records is on file. When I travel to Alaska or Florida I might not be in the same area very long. I put off a trip to Alaska until after Mikko passed. I have emergency contact info on my phone but my family is starting to thin out due to age so that may no longer be a option in a few years. If something does happen to me they would go back to Collie rescue automatically.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with 2 dogs and a cat. Summer a year ago we encountered a doggie emergency that required emergency vet service. Google was our friend, but the closest "emergency" vet was still over an hour from where we were camped. It was a Saturday and when we got there, we still had to wait over 3 hours to wait out our turn and then it was another 2 or 3 hours before we got lab results back. But we were pretty helpless at that point and had no other alternative.

So, as stated above, ask the campground management, and/or do Google searches for your location, and be prepared to pay. Normal vet visits are costly enough, emergency treatment is through the roof.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I would be more concerned about what would happen to the Collies if something happened to me while on the road.

Leave contact info in your wallet/purse/rig. "In case of emergency and I cannot return to my dogs please contact...".

We didn't travel that much with our dogs (for various reasons) and we knew the areas we took them to already. I'd suggest if you are going to be in one spot for any length of time you pre-scope for a vet. Hard to do if you are moving from spot to spot but if you are staying for a while you can be a little bit prepared so you aren't scrambling while you are stressed.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
If I had a Collie pass while on the road I would make arrangements with a local vet for a cremation just like I do at home.

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
I would first ask for recommendations at a campground if possible, as others have suggested. Another resource is the American Animal Hospital Association locator tool. Not all vets are accredited by the AAHA. Given a choice I wouldn't want to use one that wasn't.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to those who cared enough to share their experiences with this difficult subject with us. Pets ARE family and it's always so hard to say goodbye. I've never had/thought about this situation before but being away from home would certainly make a tough situation even harder.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Since forever we have been traveling with 4 doggies, we have had to deal with this a on 3 separate occasions all with our Cavaliers also(its sometimes tough to talk about this because we have two recent Cavalier adoptee's that are in the 14 year old range.) Having had all of our "kids" over the years Cremated and placed into nice Urn's, that was never an issue. Surprisingly enough, we have always been fortunate to locate caring and compassionate Vet's! We've done this by ways already mentioned, asking at the Campground, asking other Pets owners and generally a Computer/Web search can help greatly.

I guess with all Pet owners, its something in the back of your mind but Not so pleasing to dwell on. I wish you the best and Hope its not something that you must deal with anytime soon.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)