Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: A Veterans memorial service
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> A Veterans memorial service

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Redcatcher70

Beebe, AR

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I lost a long-time good friend last week. He had a heart attack and went quickly. He had prearranged the service with the funeral home and planned to be cremated and placed in the State Veterans Cemetery.
All went smoothly, had his service at the Church we both attend, and before the service, I saw two young Air Force NCOs standing just inside the Auditorium. After sitting, one of the young men walked up front and placed a folded flag in a holder and returned to the back of the auditorium. After the service, both service members marched to the front and retrieved the folded flag and preceded to unfold the flag. After unfolding, they turned it upright for about a minute and then preformed the folding ceremony. One stood in the front of the auditorium and the other marched to the back and Taps were played. After Taps, the one holding the flag presented it to the son and marched to the rear. I never have seen this done before.
Our State Veterans Cemetery only performs about six funerals a day so sometimes it may take two weeks or longer to have a burial. Cremations can be placed at anytime if there is no service scheduled.
I never experienced this before and those attending had not seen it either. I thought it was a fitting part of the service, not all would get to experience this at a later date. Its just that I had never seen this before....

Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never saw or even heard of the flag ceremony as you described it. Maybe because he had it pre planned?

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider
Looking for a 5th wheel toyhauler

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/19 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a coincidence. I am a member of a local group chartered as a non-profit with DOD that does funerals at no charge to the families.

M-1 Garands and active duty uniforms and bugle. We will give a speech of the deceased military record, lift the flag as you said and fire a rifle volley, present those spent rounds to family, play taps and fold and present the flag to the family along with 3 polished rounds and a memento from our group.

We pay for our own uniform and expenses from our own pockets.

Sometimes the funeral home will give us a donation and have fund raisers to cover our expenses.

Years ago all veterans were given a burial by active duty but times have changed and it is now 3 active duty from the branch of service the deceased was part of. It is the base commanders decision whether to provide active duty. Active duty only shows up about 10% of the time. We will do approximately 300 of the funerals this year. We are seeing more and more Vietnam veterans passing.

http://www.setvsg.com/

https://youtu.be/JHXgKJJdhQM
The video is from a time before the new uniform changes

If you know of someone who is a veteran and has passed, ask the funeral home if they can arrange military honors. Most families do not know this.

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Redcatcher70 wrote:

I lost a long-time good friend last week. He had a heart attack and went quickly. He had prearranged the service with the funeral home and planned to be cremated and placed in the State Veterans Cemetery.
All went smoothly, had his service at the Church we both attend, and before the service, I saw two young Air Force NCOs standing just inside the Auditorium. After sitting, one of the young men walked up front and placed a folded flag in a holder and returned to the back of the auditorium. After the service, both service members marched to the front and retrieved the folded flag and preceded to unfold the flag. After unfolding, they turned it upright for about a minute and then preformed the folding ceremony. One stood in the front of the auditorium and the other marched to the back and Taps were played. After Taps, the one holding the flag presented it to the son and marched to the rear. I never have seen this done before.
Our State Veterans Cemetery only performs about six funerals a day so sometimes it may take two weeks or longer to have a burial. Cremations can be placed at anytime if there is no service scheduled.
I never experienced this before and those attending had not seen it either. I thought it was a fitting part of the service, not all would get to experience this at a later date. Its just that I had never seen this before....

Awesome. Thanks for posting.

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Grey Mountain

On the rez somewhere in Indian Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/19 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a member of the Comanche Indian Veterans' Association, I have participated in many honors ceremonies for veterans. Protocol is that if the person is a veteran but not a retired veteran, the parent service will send two or three active duty members to conduct honors. Folding, presenting the flag, taps are all part. For a retired veteran a full contingent up 8 to 10 active duty members will present honers. The CIVA does a memorial at the funeral, then will do whatever is required at the grave site. We will provide the gun salute when needed.
Part of the protocol at the funeral service is a roll call. Our commander will call the CIVA members forward, then call each name in turn. Members answer, 'Present, Commander." After the last name is called, the commander will then call the name of the deceased. His/her name will be called three times, then the commander states, "(Rank) (John Doe) is no longer in our presence. He is now in the presence of the Almighty Commander." He will then call "Honors," and each veteran in turn will march to the casket, face it and render a long, slow salute.

2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice service(s)! Thank you and your fellow members for your dedication to paying your respects to our fallen.

mr. ed

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spent about a year in Vietnam during the 60's with the Marines. I was last stationed at Khe Sahn, near the DMZ. To this day, I don't know how I made it out alive, without a scratch, having survived bullets, an anti personnel mine (set off by a guy next to me), and numerous rocket and artillery attacks. None of those with whom I was friendly survived.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> A Veterans memorial service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.