cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trailer hitch ball size for 1957 aljo trailer

Primolee
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everybody, I have a 1957 aljo trailer that has not been moved for years and I can not find a trailer ball that will fit it, I tried a 2" and way too big, I tried a 1 7/8" ball and still too bid. Does anyone have an idea or a similar trailer with any info? It has not had a ball in it for years but I believe I have been opening the hitch all the way. If any one can help I would REALLY appreciate it.
Thanks, Bill
5 REPLIES 5

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
SAR Tracker wrote:
Scrub off the top of the hitch (above where the ball would go in). Should be a size, etc, stamped into the metal. Might be painted over, so a little sandpaper might be needed.

Just ignore this.
Use some penetrating oil, and work the latch open and closed. If you are sure it is open all the way and 1 7/8 will not fit, then might as well replace the coupler.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We once had to cut off a 1 3/4" coupler because we couldn't find a ball that size. I don't think anyone makes them anymore.

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.vintagecampertrailers.com/clubs.html

Maybe asking a vintage club could answer your question

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Scrub off the top of the hitch (above where the ball would go in). Should be a size, etc, stamped into the metal. Might be painted over, so a little sandpaper might be needed.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Hi Primolee welcome to the forums.

Could the coupler be rusted shut to the point that no ball is going to go in? You might have to lay on the ground and look up under the tongue. then try moving the latch or lever and observe if the piece that grabs under the ball is moving.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup