cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 gens of truck campers

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been going through my moms house since her passing a couple weeks ago and found this photo. It was a summer vacation us three boys remember well. My mom re-married a great guy who had never had kids and he became a step-father to 3 of us ages @ 14, 12 and 10. He had the truck, bought the camper and away we went. Single cab which meant 2 of us rode overhead.

This was 1972 in Oregon and he took us through areas he used to log back in the 1950's. Needless to say, we survived with no seat belts and vastly overloaded. This is not to invoke any calls to child protective services or spike prices in 1970's Chevy 2500 pick-ups.
I also found a travel program my mom's parents took to Guatemala in their Ford 250 and Airstream trailer that lasted almost 3 months. Quite the wondering family.

2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body
3 REPLIES 3

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I remember logging a lot of miles as a kid in the overhead! We only had an 8' camper. Ice box fridge, hand pump sink, no bathroom, no hot water, no holding tank, a propane light and some 12v lights, but it was still better than the old tent we used to use! I don't have any scanned pics of it, but it was doing okay with the new 1971 F250 Camper Special Dad had..

When we moved up to a travel trailer, we had a little slide in camper with no overhead bunk, but side bunks and an ice box and a table in the middle. Sister and I traveled a lot of miles in the back of that too.. Up thru my early teens.

Anyway, those were the days and didn't know what the seat belts were for until round the mid/late 80's or so when it started to become "law"... ha, ha...

Thanks for the flash back mike/kellie!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
My brother had the first camper in the family, my little sister #2 and me 3.

That's a big camper too.

When I was a kid I always wanted to ride in the overhead of a camper but never did. 😞
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about your mom.
I bought my 1st RV in 1987, what was Toyota-based ClasC.
It had no seat belts in the rear and no roll-over rating, with all-wood frame.
Coincidentally took taking my MIL for vacations, when floor, who was just single piece of 1" plywood bend on the edges and I had to add steel tubings to hold it flat.
Still the "dead trap motorhome" generated more good memories than Prevost down the road.