cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xantrex Fredom 458 series inverter/charger 20 amp

aabrennan
Explorer
Explorer
any additional ideas on the one? Problem, inverter will not convert from DC to 110 AC. Since earlier my November post when shop installed 4 new 6 volt deep cycle batteries wired in series to equal 2, 12 volt, there was a correction for a battery improper wired together. A call was made to Xantrex by mechanic and he was told that wiring error should not affect the inverter. NOW, invert command on Xantrex Freedom 458, 20 amp inverter/charger remote control panel fails to activate the four,six volt golf cart house batteries, to convert from 12 volt DC to 110 AC volt meter, in order to operate TV ect--110 volts outlet reset button is activated. There are four status lights on inverter: invert/wet, light is a steady green, charge/gel1 light is blinking green, and no lights showing on low batter/gel2, or overtemp overlaod/AGM. The remote light colored wire was disconected for several seconds and reconnected to attempt reboot of inverter.
11 REPLIES 11

aabrennan
Explorer
Explorer
Xantres 458 unit removed by Am Pac Repair, San Luis Obispo and sent to Xantrex approved repair in Costa Mesa. It was a relay failure. Today reinstalled and working for our Spring travels. Thank you to you Posters

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
When mine went bad, it done the same thing. I was at Pacific City Oregon, so I called Xantrex in Portland and they told me to take the inverter in to their shop there. They found what he called a mother board had gone bad. They replaced it and I installed it back. But when I installed it, it did not want to start right away until I unplugged a wire on the control panel which looked like a TV connection for a few seconds. Can't remember how many seconds they told me to unplug it and then reconnect it. Inverter started working right away. That was like ten years ago and have not had any more problems with inverters.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

NicodemusY
Explorer
Explorer
It is so good they have kept this information available ( your notes dated Nov 08, 2010). We have a 2001 Tradewinds also coach number 7370 and have the same identical electrical problem. Since this is Saturday night, I guess we will have to wait until Monday to call Xantrex. I see no answer so we are wondering if replacing the breaker inside the Freedom inverter/charger fixed the problem?
Inverter review

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
If a 458 is connected up with improper battery polarity, for even 1 second, it is now toast. Xantrex may be able to repair it but there are no reverse polarity protection devices in a 458.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Story I read on facebook may apply here.
the author installed a 2-way radio in his car and it did not work
upon inspection he had wired the thing backwards hookign the red wire to the negative terminal on the battery and the black to positive. the protection devices in the radio worked. a fuse blew. He replaced fuse and re-wired and all is good.. NOTE I have another of that same radio.

It may be the bad hookup of batteries toasted the inverter
Or it may have toasted a fuse.. Pray it was the fuse. way cheaper .

Now I do not have that model inverter but on my Freedom XC 2000 the fuse is next to the 12 volt connections INSIDE the unit.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

aabrennan
Explorer
Explorer
Dec 5th--original owners
1. today operated Onan generator--2. volt meter was + 110--3. then operated rig TV--4. Xantex inverter and solar panels installed Feb. 2004 5. model 81-2010-12-one circuit breaker on front-no command for battery type--we've replaced house batteries before and have not had a problem--5.inverter LED status, INVERT solid green, CHARGE blinking green, other two LED's off--Owner manual state that indicates inverting charger ready but no external AC available--

aabrennan
Explorer
Explorer
Thank each of you for your Xantex info--currently have our 2003 Tiffin Allegro 30" stored at our local Elks RV yard and have it covered (time and climbing involved). When our current Pacific Coastal weather settles down we'll bring the rig to our house to connect 110 volts and go through your suggestions. Thank you---This years RV activity--the inverter was used on several occasions while the Rv was on the road for about six months this year in Arizona, Jan/Feb--California oregon Washinton April, May, June, & July--No. Cal in Sept/Oct--House batteries checked in Portland at Innerstate in summer an were ok--November, found dead in Elks storage area.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. TYPE battery will NOT cause lack on Inverter to Invert. It WILL cause incorrect CHARGE if The 458 is not set to the correct type battery
2. The simplest way to test is to verify that there IS 12 volts positive to the Battery connection on the Inverter. DISCONNECT the remote harness and activate the Inverter at the button on the Inverter. TEST the 120 connections AT THE INVERTER where the romex wires connect. IF NO 120 output, your Inverter has a bad board(as long as you have checked the breakers on the Inverter) probably caused by the battery miswire.
3. When you are NOT inverting and plugged into Shore or Genset, do the TV's and Microwave appliances work?(Pass thru is working on the Inverter). If so, you do NOT have to do the test on item 2.
4. How old is the 458? Doug

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my Xantrex 458 there are DIP switches that must be set properly for the type of batteries that you have. These DIP switches are located BEHIND the Xantrex panel that you have in your coach. You have to take that information panel off to access the DIP switches. If you installed the exact same type of batteries, there should be no need to change the DIP switches.
I also had two circuit beakers for the output circuits that are located on the front of the Xantrex unit itself as well as a push button circuit breaker that controls the charger portion of the inverter/charger. Make sure that all have been reset.

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Are the two breakers on front of the xantrex closed?
With the inverter turned off and connected to shore power do you have 110v ac in the RV?
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
If the mechanic miswired the batteries and created a reverse polarity condition, the inverter may be toast. See #8 on page 22 of the owners manual. It can be downloaded. However, there isn't a test to determine if reverse polarity occured. That will require a call Xantrex.

Otherwise, according to the manual the lights are saying that the inverter is ready. According to page 6, there may be onboard branch circuit breakers. Have those been reset?