Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: 15 Amp Service
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> 15 Amp Service

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Two Jayhawks

Lenexa Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/19 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did Thanksgiving about 6 years ago with family on their property outside Clovis NM. They had a nice little place on some land & we just used a 15 amp plug in off the house. It worked out great.

Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 2014 Ford Edge
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:

If you trip the house GFI with very little load, then turn off the GFI circuit in you RV.

This makes little sense to me. The GFCI circuit in the RV would be about the only one there that I would suspect has no ground fault, causing the other to trip. There's generally no problem with chaining GFCIs one after the other; indeed, it happens quite frequently as modern hair dryers have what is basically a GFCI built into the plug, and are very often plugged into GFCI outlets.

The most common reason for an RV to cause a GFCI to trip is that there is some hitherto undiscovered wiring problem, such as a fridge heating element that leaks current or a neutral/ground fault somewhere in the wiring. Finding said problem is not always a simple task.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He's gone.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will be trial and error as you know not what else is on that house circuit you tap into. Run propane where possible and you might be okay

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

haste maker

alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/19 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the reply's, I have learned some new things to do & seen some things I had in mind to do.

Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I store my rv next to my house on a 15amp circuit. I have an electric heater running non stop, a few lights, the fridge on electric (cold beers at all times) and when im in there tinkering i have the tv on. This is pretty much the exact limit. Sometimes i run the water and the pump trips the breaker. If im tinkering during the summer I’ll start the generator and turn on the ac because i sweat like shaq at the foul line.

If you overdo it you’ll just trip the breaker. Not a big deal. Depending on how long you are there, you’ll learn precisely what you can run without tripping it.

1993 fleetwood coronado 30’ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/19 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just don't run more than one thing at a time that draws a lot of current. My wife's hair dryer and a vacuum cleaner have both kicked a breaker for me. Any thing with a heat element draws a lot of current. Just take it easy and you will be fine, the worst that can happen is to trip a circuit breaker.

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/19 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

15 amp is pretty simple as long as the weather is not very hot or very cold. Just pay attention and you'll be fine. If you have an EMS just manually set it down to 15 amp service and let it regulate the load if not then that task will fall on you. If you trip the breaker just reset it and go on.

Someone suggested using a plastic bag in the toilet. For the life of me I can't figure out how that conserves electricity. [emoticon]

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2015 Open Range 216 RBS
2013 Nissan Armada Platinum

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 03:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hohenwald48 wrote:

15 amp is pretty simple as long as the weather is not very hot or very cold. Just pay attention and you'll be fine. If you have an EMS just manually set it down to 15 amp service and let it regulate the load if not then that task will fall on you. If you trip the breaker just reset it and go on.

Someone suggested using a plastic bag in the toilet. For the life of me I can't figure out how that conserves electricity. [emoticon]

[emoticon]

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just thought I would add one more thing to this topic. For about $20 you can buy a Kill-A-Watt meter to plug in to your RV cord as it is plugged into any 120 volt outlet. With the Kill-a-Watt meter you can tell EXACTLY what each appliance uses in terms of watts or amps. It will also tell you what your RV is using at idle, or when you think you have everything turned off. Then you can determine exactly what can and cannot be used when you power input is limited with a 15 amp circuit. Kill-A-Watt

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> 15 Amp Service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.