cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying 2019 RAM 3500 DRW - discount expectations?

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a RAM 3500 DRW with MSRP of 85,845 and an advertised price of 73,804. Which is about 14% off MSRP.

Does anyone have any idea if I might reasonably get a deal paying somewhat less than that, for such a truck?
Considering Solitude 310GK 5th wheel
42 REPLIES 42

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, folks!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats also, very nice looking truck!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats OP! I'm sure you will love the truck! :C
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Too late to get a DEAL on MaxCare as that deal should have been had at time of negotiations. Shop around.

I went with 7 year 100k ZERO deductible. Should time out just right. I am at almost 5 years and have 30k til I hit 100k.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Thank you! The decision was largely based on your helpful comments. And thanks for the tire pressure recommendations."

VERY happy to help! Another tidbit, take your truck to an independent alignment shop. Tell them you want the Toe set to 1/64". If you do not do so within just a few thousand miles you WILL see outer edge front tire Stepping.

Every 15k rotate the front tires ONLY. Move fronts side to side with rotation the same leaving the wheels in the same position.

This may be a but painful but I Highly advise removing the POS Korean Made NEXEN tires and sell them on CL. I did so at 200 miles and sold the POS tires first call for $650. Reason for doing this??? The POS tires will start to give you tread separation at around 25k.

I went with the Michelin's with ZERO issue!

Use ONLY OE filters. Mopar, FleetGuard and RACOR.

Dump the rear and front GL at around 2k, it's ****. Run AMZ/OIL SevereGear 75-110 rear and 75-90 front.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
DesertDogs wrote:
Question was raised about the MaxCare warranty.

We don't usually keep vehicles beyond the factory warranty period, but is the MaxCare policy something we should get anyway? Can it be purchased later? What's the most one should spend for it?
Ram's bumper-to-bumper warranty is 3/36. Drivetrain 5/100. Maximum Care (MC) protection (with various deductibles) goes up to 8/125 for the Cummins (unlimited for gas). If you're going to sell it during the 3/36 period not much point in getting it unless you think it'll help you sell it.

We purchased the older 8/120 ($100 ded.) MC for our '16 Cummins for $2200. Probably a bit higher now. BTW, MC does not cover the CAT (~$800) or the DPF (~$2000) after the diesel emissions warranty expires at 5/50.

MC can be purchased from any Ram dealer. Shop around for the best price. Have to purchase before the 3/36 runs out. However, between 1/12 and 3/36 I believe you have to have the truck inspected.

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Question was raised about the MaxCare warranty.

We don't usually keep vehicles beyond the factory warranty period, but is the MaxCare policy something we should get anyway? Can it be purchased later? What's the most one should spend for it?

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
You did well my Son!!! IMHO the longHorn interior is the best on the market by far.

Smart Man on the factory rear air ride. Run 80 front ALL the time and 35 rear unloaded. Know your rear axle loaded weight and use the weight/inflation chart for your tires and add 5psi.

Don't blindly run 65psi was shown on the door as that is for FULL RAWR. Very unlikely you are at that weight.

Thank you! The decision was largely based on your helpful comments. And thanks for the tire pressure recommendations.

We won't be buying the 5th wheel (Grand Design Solitude 310GK) for a couple more months, so that gives me time to thoroughly research hitch options. I'll start another thread on that topic.

My new truck should be here by end of next week! Wooo Hooo!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You did well my Son!!! IMHO the longHorn interior is the best on the market by far.

Smart Man on the factory rear air ride. Run 80 front ALL the time and 35 rear unloaded. Know your rear axle loaded weight and use the weight/inflation chart foe your tires and add 5psi.

Don't blindly run 65psi was shown on the door as that is for FULL RAWR. Very unlikely you are at that weight.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice looking truck. Enjoy, it sounds like a BEAST!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I finally got it all dialed in as to what I wanted. And, struck a deal. $86,645 MSRP $74,621 DEAL and no quibbling on getting good value for my trade. It's not a "steal" but considering that there isn't one other truck that we want, with the features we want, and the colors we want within about 400 miles - I'm ok with that.

In fact, my local dealer is trading a vehicle for the truck I want, with a dealership that is over 300 miles away. So, it's ok - we get the truck we want (which is rare!) at a very reasonable, if not crazy, low price. And we don't have to leave our local environs to get it.

It's a Longhorn, MEGA Cab, Dually, 1000 ft lb engine/Aisin, Auto level air suspension, dual alternators, Towing Technology Group, prepped for 5th wheel, 360ยบ cameras, Harmon Kardon 17-speaker sound system, 12" UConnect, Black and Tan interior, Cold Weather group, yada, yada, yada.

These photos are not of my exact truck, but are essentially clones of the one I'm buying - they're illustrative of the colors, features, etc.

It's essentially a Limited, but with a much more beautiful interior - and a sleeker, cleaner looking grill.

I'm trading in a 2019 RAM 1500 Limited pickup that I've had for a year and a half, so I already really know the truck. I will feel right at home from the first minute behind the wheel.

We're kind of bored with all-black interiors anymore, so this one really appeals to us - visually.

Kind of a "Cowboy Cadillac"

The only thing I could do without are the "belt buckles" on the pockets behind the front seats. But I'll never see them from where I sit, so "oh well". No big deal.

The rear seats in the Mega Cab provide an incredible amount of space and fold flat up high, or down low. Our two pit bull/healer mix pups will be riding in style back there!

All the bells and whistles! The wood is real. The leather is real. Ram really did this one UP! Should be fun for daily excursions, as well as pulling a 5er.

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dallas01 wrote:
We used the ABC method...Contact 3 dealers that have the truck you want to make sure it is still available. Then email them all on the same email. Let them know you are going to buy but only from the best deal. All three should return with their offer. One will be the lowest...

Has anyone ever seriously had this work for them? I tried this strategy ~15 years ago with an economy car (Ford Focus) I was paying cash for. Several people I know since have tried this with various cars, trucks, SUV, RV, farm equipment, etc. I have literally never heard a single time where this has worked. I never got a single reply from any of the dealers I contacted using this method. If it works for someone that's awesome I'd love to hear the story.
Patrick

DesertDogs
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
DesertDogs wrote:
I'm looking at a 2019 Longhorn MegaCab Dually with nearly every possible option. Factor sticker is $85,845.

Looks like I can easily get it for $75,000. Not a bad deal. And I'm getting a fair price for my trade, as well.

I may try to push for a little better deal, but in my area, this particular truck with the paint color, interior, and all the options that I want, has no alternative... but much farther away (out of state).

Seems like a reasonable deal to me.

Play good cop bad cop. Go to the dealer again and have your wife question the deal while you say you think you want it. Then she says, Honey I am willing to fly with you to get the other one.

Good play - we've done that a few times (good cop, bad cop). My wife makes a great BAD cop!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
DesertDogs wrote:
I'm looking at a 2019 Longhorn MegaCab Dually with nearly every possible option. Factor sticker is $85,845.

Looks like I can easily get it for $75,000. Not a bad deal. And I'm getting a fair price for my trade, as well.

I may try to push for a little better deal, but in my area, this particular truck with the paint color, interior, and all the options that I want, has no alternative... but much farther away (out of state).

Seems like a reasonable deal to me.

Play good cop bad cop. Go to the dealer again and have your wife question the deal while you say you think you want it. Then she says, Honey I am willing to fly with you to get the other one.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021