Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Dual pane windows....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dual pane windows....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 01:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well having a great holiday season hope you are too. Well a discussion came up about winter camping and if you RV camp year round should you have them? My experience is that it really does help out actually all year round IMHO...keeping heat in and keeping the hot out..would like to hear some input...just sound off if you have them. What is your take on the extra insulated option?..I know some builders offer it now as a just do it..it comes as standard. Just want to have a new thread as to everyone's opinion.
Oh and by the way..check out my dual pane conversion in the camper door...no one makes this... at least the last time I checked....it is in the university...sticky. I mean why have dual panes and a door that does not?

Sorry still trying to figure out Photobucket....All my Pics are blurry. Trying to find a solution.

* This post was last edited 12/03/19 01:47am by KKELLER14K *   View edit history

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My opinion only..

If given the choice on RV double pane windows or not,I would pass..The reason is when doing most of my travels on mountain backroads the seals in the window failed on more than one occasion making for a foggy window just like a house double pane can do with a window shaker AC..

They used to make storm windows for all RV's which it seams they don't do anymore..I liked them and prefer them to double pane..

Maybe the double pane works for those that don't spend the majority of there time off road but they don't for me..I see little difference in summer or winter between the two mostly because of the use of reflectix in non used windows in extreme temps.

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

If given the choice on RV double pane windows or not,I would pass..The reason is when doing most of my travels on mountain backroads the seals in the window failed on more than one occasion making for a foggy window just like a house double pane can do with a window shaker AC..

I agree. Have read more comments about foggy windows due to seal failures than I can count. Our 2001 Class A Suncruiser's had double pane windows. Both the drivers side and passenger side failed and fogged up. Never again!

Touring in our 2010 Suncruiser, beaches, site seeing, national parks, chillaxing..

chast

Marlton, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Count me in with a vote against the dual pane (PAIN) window! After 25 years of full-timing in 13 different rigs some with and some without dual panes, I would rather use extra heat/cooling than deal with the problems that come with dual pane windows. Our current MH, a ‘99 Bounder, has had almost every window removed and repaired over the years and even the repaired ones are in need of attention again. At $200 to $400 each for repair, that money would go a long way paying for extra propane or kilowatts! No other benefits from my experience!

[email protected]

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/19 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitely like dual pane windows, keeps the heat out in the summer and definitely quieter than single pane windows.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/19 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Question about dual pane. Do they help reduce condensation? I've seen units with rotted out walls below the windows from the condensation on the inside.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

chast

Marlton, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, less condensation with dual pane, but you can control moisture even if you have single pane windows.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KKELLER14K wrote:

I mean why have dual panes and a door that does not?
Because when you camp you have a curtain in this window most of the time.
Sorry still trying to figure out Photobucket....All my Pics are blurry. Trying to find a solution.PAY THEM

I have winter-rated camper with heating duct going into holding tanks compartments, but no return duct.
Meaning my furnace blows the air via the compartment into the woods.
Than cable compartment was open to the interior, allowing air flow.
The battery compartment has venting holes outside and no insulation inside. Similar for propane and generator compartments.
WH insulation has lot of big holes.
Why worry about dual pane windows when so many holes are coming straight from the manufacturer?

HMS Beagle

Napa, California

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had dual pane windows in 3 RVs now and have not had the seals go. I'm familiar with the problem as I have had them go in my house. Two Bigfoot campers, both with dual pane everywhere, not one failure over 25 years. Had them in my Safari motorhome too, no failures, but only owned that for 6 years. Maybe the brand/manufacturer makes a difference?

I like them, partly for the thermal insulation, but not mentioned so far is the noise insulation which is very noticeably better than single pane. In today's crowded and noisy campgrounds I'd buy them for that alone.

Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not have ordered them with our trailer because of their terrible history but it was a standard option. We have three seasons on them and they really are a huge improvement over standard windows. Much more quiet and the AC doesn't struggle like the old trailers did even though this RV is much bigger.
Our rig is protected from the sun when not on a trip though. That may be why the windows are holding up.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dual pane windows....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.