cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tailgate Step Suggestions?

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought an F150, and I really like the look and function of the Amp Research Bed Step, but I'm not in love with the price tag!

So, I'm curious, what do you all do to make bed access a bit easier?
24 REPLIES 24

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a rear receiver step that folds up and pull down to step up to the rear of our 2001 dually and use it on our 05 dually. When in the up position it has USA showing.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
Boomerweps wrote:
I carry a folding bench like work platform. I use it for a step beside the bed, a step behind the tailgate, placed in front to reach into the engine bay, and as a bench while camping. I like multi-use stuff.

Hmm... I hadn't even considered engine access! I'm only 5'6", so I'm going to need to pop the hood and make sure I can get to the things I need to get to while on the road!

I just stand on the tow hooks for engine access but I don't think I pop my hood more than twice a year.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
Boomerweps wrote:
I carry a folding bench like work platform. I use it for a step beside the bed, a step behind the tailgate, placed in front to reach into the engine bay, and as a bench while camping. I like multi-use stuff.

Hmm... I hadn't even considered engine access! I'm only 5'6", so I'm going to need to pop the hood and make sure I can get to the things I need to get to while on the road!

I hang a Ranch Hand Grill Guard off the front. Aside from shedding deer of the front, it provides a foot step and a grab handle when checking the oil and so forth.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
drsteve wrote:
The rear tire also works as a step.

X2.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put the AMP Research step and electric running boards on my truck the week I brought it home. No regrets, yes, the price is not cheap but have had no issues since installing in 2011.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The rear tire also works as a step.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
The 2020 GM HDs have the step for the bed, and nice large corner steps in the bumper. Works great when using a gooseneck.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 3-step stepstool. It's useful for getting in the bed and at the campground, and when not camping, in my garage.

$30 bucks (avg) from menards.

and you can use it when hitched!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just carry a step stool
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m a believer in the AMP step. I have one on the back and one on the side. Well made easy install and highly functional. They are better than the tailgate step that Ford has and absolutely no comparison to what GM puts in its bumper.

Honestly it is one of the best mods I did to my truck. And compared to the price of the truck, their cost is immaterial.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
By a chevy/GMC and get built in bumper corner steps.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
:S I am still using the upside down 5 gallon bucket method.