cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You may have shocks but are they mounted right.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine were not.
08 Cedar Creek. 34 foot.
With new springs under it the original shocks had only 1/2 to 3/4 inch of compression travel left! This with no fluids on board.
There is a total of 4 inches of travel and Monroe says we should have at least 60 % compression available for impact. And the more vertical the mount the more you utilize the shock.
My shocks are mounted at about 45 degrees. Of course the closer to horizontal they become ...they would be even more useless.

Mine had been acting as a limiting factor bottoming out when the wheel goes up and driving the metal washer over the nut on the shock tube.
Effectively providing no shock absorbing at all.

The shock then and it’s mounts lifting the trailer on an impact....instead of the springs.
Nuts.
Where is quality control?
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
13 REPLIES 13

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned, I just replaced the 5 tires(spare) on the 5er this past spring. They weren't worn out, just aged out. Like I said no problems without the shocks. Thanks for the info tho'.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pipeman I would beg to differ with the Forest River rep. There are aftermarket manufacturers like Road Master and Joy ride that make some good kits for Rv trailers. Must be a reason.
I don’t know if one can measure the improvement in ride but it has to be healthier for the tires I would think.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
ivbinconned wrote:
Second , that looks like a whole new suspension. And the right kind too.

You guessed correctly - MORryde independent suspension.Installed it on our Reflection and Grand Design is going to tow our new Solitude over to MORryde when it comes off the line to have the IS installed on it, too.

(Using the "Quote" function will notify people you are interacting with them.)

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
After the hangers for my shocks bent and put a groove in my XPS ribs right side tires, those shocks were removed and not replaced on my 2009 Forest River CC. Forest River was notified at the time but would not cover the damaged tires as my dealer repaired the shocks before telling Forest River. After that the shocks were taken off and the hangers cut off and ground down to the frame. Forest River rep told me the 5er didn't need them anyway. No problems without them since then.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Torsion axles don’t really need shocks and shocks are not ment to bottom out. That’s why our trucks have bump stops front and rear.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Second , that looks like a whole new suspension. And the right kind too.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"But without a play, it's basically useless."

Whaaaaa?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Bicycle shocks are horizontal.

But without a play, it's basically useless.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chris Bryant wrote:
I’ll point out that there are shocks meant to be installed horizontally, though tases obviously are not, but the lack of travel is inexcusable- it should never bottom out on the shock.
Yeah, horizontal shocks will work if they're designed for the position, and there is the correct linkage. Many motorcycle shocks are mounted horizontally, with the corresponding linkage to work correctly.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is how my shocks are mounted (a little hard to see, but that's the shock behind the suspension link).

Click For Full-Size Image.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I’ll point out that there are shocks meant to be installed horizontally, though tases obviously are not, but the lack of travel is inexcusable- it should never bottom out on the shock.
-- Chris Bryant

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Who is idiot clown who installed it?

Lived without it for years. This post may discourage me to have those installed in my new unit.

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen many out there mounted nearly horizontal. Totally useless.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat