Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Charging trailer battery while towing and smart charging
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Charging trailer battery while towing and smart charging

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Yes I do get that a DC to DC converter should do what I need. But those seem to be hundreds of dollars.
Thanks

Here is one that does up to 15 amps for about $30 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Numerical-Regulat........nverter+adjustable&qid=1575607837&sr=8-3

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ivbinconned

highway 16

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/19 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are pulling with a Suburban so what I do is not an option for you how ever I will describe what I do for the benefit of all.
I use a “20amp Smart Charger around the farm year round and we have a 2000 Yamaha gen/inverter.
I fished an extension cord from the 4 - 6 volt batteries to the fifth wheel hitch. I set the gen on eco in The back of the truck, plugin the charger and clamp to the batteries.
If we use the furnace all night while boon docking on the road the house batteries get charged properly as we cruse down the highway.
A heavy gaged wire from your truck battery to trailer batteries may take out your alternator.

Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/19 11:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

corvettekent wrote:

About 200 watts of solar on the roof of your trailer will keep your batteries charged when traveling down the road.

This^^.

Rob

Everywhere? Are you sure?

Today my 40 panel 12 kWp HOME solar system generated a grand total of 3.47 kWh. It’s like that a lot in this part of the country, this time of year.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 02:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

opnspaces wrote:

Yes I do get that a DC to DC converter should do what I need. But those seem to be hundreds of dollars.
Thanks

Here is one that does up to 15 amps for about $30 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Numerical-Regulat........nverter+adjustable&qid=1575607837&sr=8-3
This is the one I use
https://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Converter........918618&sprefix=Drok%2Caps%2C1001&sr=8-19

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/19 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ivbinconned wrote:

You are pulling with a Suburban so what I do is not an option for you how ever I will describe what I do for the benefit of all.
I use a “20amp Smart Charger around the farm year round and we have a 2000 Yamaha gen/inverter.
I fished an extension cord from the 4 - 6 volt batteries to the fifth wheel hitch. I set the gen on eco in The back of the truck, plugin the charger and clamp to the batteries.
If we use the furnace all night while boon docking on the road the house batteries get charged properly as we cruse down the highway.
A heavy gaged wire from your truck battery to trailer batteries may take out your alternator.

I added a 2nd 50amp plug at the front of our 5er along with a transfer switch/surge protection . I just use this to run the AC when we have our pooches with us & need to stop for a while. We don't boondock so was never concerned about high current charging wile traveling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Charging trailer battery while towing and smart charging
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.