cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The buy local fallacy

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does it really matter which RV dealer has your unit for 3 months to replace whatever widget broke?
Does it really matter when the brand and model you want only has one dealer within 400 miles according to their dealer locator and they closed 3 years ago?
The problem is the manufacturer, not the dealer. They may as well be insurance companies the way they try to sidestep paying for anything and then cheating the repair shop if they are found at fault.
Puma 30RKSS
17 REPLIES 17

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
The wait times at the dealer where we purchased ours are horrendous. I have no proof of this, but I think we get put ahead in the line because we purchased our trailer there, vs someone who purchased it elsewhere. But, it's the case all over the Denver Metro.... too many people, not enough services, so wait times for everything are long, not just RV repairs.

We end up using a mobile RV tech most of the time. He costs a bit more than the dealer does, but he can get here faster, and we don't have to hook it up and haul it a half hour up the road to have it sit there for a month. And this year, he taught us how to winterize it ourselves (Yes I know you can YouTube it but there's something to be said for someone showing you in person).
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
Does it really matter which RV dealer has your unit for 3 months to replace whatever widget broke?
Does it really matter when the brand and model you want only has one dealer within 400 miles according to their dealer locator and they closed 3 years ago?
The problem is the manufacturer, not the dealer. They may as well be insurance companies the way they try to sidestep paying for anything and then cheating the repair shop if they are found at fault.

We bought our first new TT from a dealer 2000 miles away. The manufacturer Forest River, found us 3 local dealers willing to do the warranty work. One didn't even sell any Forest River products. We also could have used independent RV shops or mobile RV tech. We just had to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.
So, for me, buying local just for service, is not a factor, unless the price is good.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"Local" in the typical sense has no meaning to me because I travel all the time in my RV. For me, what local is what's currently outside.

Chum lee

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last spring in nw New Mexico I had an issue with the heating system in my new nuCamp Cirrus. I called one dealer from googling who referred me to another that was closer to my route. I called them and they got me in the next day โ€œbecause you need your heating at this time of yearโ€. At no time did they ask where I bought the camper. nuCamp authorized a work order and they checked the system and fixed it, plus gave me a few tips they had learned from local units. Then they asked if it would be inconvenient for me to camp on their property so they could give it one more look over in the morning to make sure it was happy. I spoke to a local Cirrus owner who stopped in about the service I was getting. โ€œThatโ€™s why I deal here.โ€ He walked right over to look at my rig because he thought he was the only crazy person with a short bed camper on a long bed :).

Holiday RV Poncha Springs, CO.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The problems I had on my Voltage I fixed myself. Get good at DIY and you won't need a dealer. If you can't fix it then find an independent technician.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Depends how much value a person places on the real or perceived level of service or comfort from having a "local" dealer. Those that place a greater value on it are typically those that don't or can't do their own repairs. Those that place a lesser value on it are generally those that can and do perform their own repairs.
The dealers cater to the folks in the first category, because they will also generally keep coming back after the warranty is over and the dealer will make money off of them.

And there are some who say "dealer? what's that?" I fall into that category and I bought a tube of dicor at one once and a couple random parts/widgets that were camper specific before I had Amazon prime, lol.
I the almost 30 years that I've been of legal age, I/we have bought exactly 4 vehicles/RVs/toys from a dealer.
1 new truck, situation was right. 1 new car, 2 year old leftover deal over 25% off msrp. 1 used truck with a trade in, somehow it was a rare good deal, think they made a mistake honestly. 1 used snowmobile, hard to find model that I really wanted and wasn't overpriced.
Average, I buy something from a dealer once every 8 years apparently and 9 out of 10 purchases are private party used. Just how I roll because of the $ value I see in doing it that way.
Others perceive value differently.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
When I bought my previous trailer, the dealer told me that he fixed them no matter where they were bought but that since I bought it there, I would always be given priority over those. It seemed to be true, when ever I broght it in I got a quick turn-around even though his lot was full.
Have to say though that even in a large metro area it can be hard to find what brand you want. I was interested in a Grand Design but the only place that sold them was a Camping World more than an hour away. Wasn't going to buy from CW and after going to an RV show, the AF edged out the GD.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Said it before- If cars, trucks, etc. were made and serviced like RVs we would laugh and pass.
Jayco-noslide

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I traveled half way across the country to get my rig, cause the price made it worth it. There was a NHTSA recall on a pump leveling bracket. When I called my local dealer, the first thing the guy said on the phone was "They want us to ask if you bought it here for no particular reason" I said, "tell them I said to get f---ed for no particular reason and a NHTSA recall is a legal mandate and maybe you would like to hear from my attorney. They scheduled me for 8 AM the next day and treated me like gold. The buy local thing is just a myth they perpetuate to try to intimidate you and restrict competition. Plus I got plenty of outer competent shops in town if I need them
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
On my current TT I didnโ€™t buy locally to reduce the price. Has worked out fine with no major issues. On TV purchases Iโ€™ll go anywhere in the state for a deal. Current TV purchased at Santa Paula Chevrolet and within the next two weeks dealer went out of business.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
We've honestly been pretty lucky with repairs on our rig, but I have found that most repairs fit into one of four categories for our travel trailer (I admit it would look very different for MH owners!):

1) The vast majority of repairs are things a reasonably adept person can replace/repair on their own.

2) Some repairs require techs, but can be done on-site by mobile techs who can address things much more readily than a shop.

3) A few repairs actually require a true RV center, but can wait until the off-season (for those of us who have an off-season).

4) A small number of issues need to be done in a shop and NOW (this would mostly center on the chassis and/or other major failures).

In 7+ years with our current rig, we've only run into a #4 once, and we hustled around to get that addressed. Everything else has been workable in other ways, and the vast majority I was able to do myself. Never had a warranty claim, as it was easier to just fix it. If I weren't ready and able to do such things, I wouldn't want to own an RV!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Times are changing .... fast!

We have 2 local dealerships near us.

Now really, when you REALLY think about it, isn't ALL RV dealerships "local?" I don't know of any nation wide chain of dealerships except "Camping Word" that has dealerships in several states and multiple locations. Everything else is ... well ... "local" ... right? How many other "dealerships" have multiple, nation wide locations?

So, with that in mind, "local" dealerships is really just a point of reference to wherever you live. And the fact is, some dealerships have better customer service reputations than others.

But as stated above, times are-a changin'.

(My) local dealerships have now fallen into the same problem than others have been complaining about for years. You use to be able to make an appointment and within a week had everything solved. Now, you are lucky if you can get an appointment within anything less than 3 months out! And that appointment is ONLY to estimate the repair. It might take another 3 months to get the actual repair.

I use to really brag about both of my "par-excellence" RV dealerships and service shops, but no more. In the last 2 years they've fallen into the same problem as all the other (big name) shops.

One dealership near us built a new facility where they could work on, more than double, the amount of RV's, have more bays, and a more and better technology and tools to better serve their increased volume of service.

The problem is, they didn't hire any more employees or service techs. What good is building a new, bigger, and fancier facility if the same number of people are still working the same number of repairs. That's one problem.

The second problem is, new RV's being spit-out from the manufacturers are coming out of the factory with inferior quality. So when the buyer uses them, and then they start falling apart, they go back to the dealership for warranty or service. The volume of returned RV's seems to be ridiculous.

Add to the mix the number of RV sales skyrocketed over the last 5 years, which means more and more being spit out by he manufacturer with less and less quality ... well ....

Add the 3 items together, more returns for service and the same number of service techs and it doesn't take very long for a back-log to happen... REAL FAST.

It's not just the Big Name, Nation Wide dealerships and service companies that is now in deep, it's also the "local" dealerships and shops that overwhelmed and over flooded with service needs.

I see two solutions to the problem, and probably neither will happen. 1) Hire more service techs so the turn-over can happen faster and they might actually get caught up with demand. But that means more wages and that cuts into the company's profits! Yea! That's the real "bottom line." 2) Manufacturers need to tighten up on their quality when the RV units leave the factory.

My last Fiver was purchased over 3 hrs from my house... that is the closest dealer of Redwood with the next being in Massachusetts.

The experience has been great, I have had a few items that were in need or replacement/repair and all I did was send pictures and the parts came directly to my house.

Heck, even Keystone ( Who I was terrified to deal with after hearing stories) has been fantastic.... I had 2 instances that they helped me out and the issue was resolved with little or no aggravation.

I made an appointment after the season was over to get a few larger things handled, told the dealer they would get the trailer on a Saturday and I would be there the next Saturday ti pick it up,.,, Got a call on Wednesday stating it was all done...

SO . . . The dealer can make or break any experience.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looked at 5th wheels at the Hershey show which happens to be local for me. Found what we wanted with a fairly local (1.5 hour drive) dealer. Looked online for that model and found one in Indiana for $10,000 less. Bought it based on the photo's they provided and they delivered it to me foe $285. That was in 2010. About a year later we had an issue with the roof leaking down the back wall. I towed it back to the factory in Shipshewana, Indiana. They repaired it and returned it to the house for free. I also had some minor warranty work done at an independent RV repair place locally. Just got the work pre-approved.

It really depends on how much money you can save by buying elsewhere. The $10,000 I saved can pay for quite a few trips to the factory to get work done. For $1,000 I might be less likely to travel that far for a unit.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500