cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who has sold everything and started rving for life

gina_tim1994
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are looking to sell everything and start worcamping. Everyone is calling us crazy ??. Tell me your thoughts and stories.
25 REPLIES 25

Zhidoni
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I sold or gave away everything and hit the road 2 years ago full time in a 26' winnebago navion. My advice would be to try out the lifestyle for a few weeks before making the commitment. We did 1 month to 5 month trips for several years, before we figured out how to work from the road and cover costs. Be ready for a shock when you sell your stuff; it is worth less than you think!
Also, you need to have something to do. You mentioned work camping, which is good. Be sure you and everyone else in your family have a hobby, work, or some portable pursuit. I actually do web design and e-marketing, and my wife sells rare fabrics and buttons. those help pay the bills and keep us busy! It's not all fun and games.
Also, buy the best rv you can afford. it sucks to break down miles from service. And, consider how and where you want to live. If you like boondocking, a class A is going to limit you somewhat. But a class B might be too small, even though it goes more places. But we have seen people in all kinds of rigs. Heck, we lived for 5 months in a little 4-wheel camper on the back of a 1/2 ton pickup. we could go anywhere in that rig--desert, forest roads, off-road. But, it was like living out of a purse!
You are not crazy. We are happier than we thought we would be.
Currently in a 2016 Navion 24 J no toad. Formerly a 2004 Hallmark Ute on 2002 4wd Ford 3/4 ton; before that a 2014 Tiger Malayan, before that a 2003 Chevy 1/2 T 4X4 with Four Wheel Grandby pop-up

gina_tim1994
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 36 ft rv right now but when we sale the house was going to look for a bigger one. Me and my husband have hosted one campground and loved it. I am a bus driver and have Summers off and we usually spend it in the camper. I haven't been able to travel and would love to before I get too old, we are just going over 50.. lol I don't mind down sizing, we have stuff we haven't touched in years. I am very excited about this and can't wait to get out there and live a dream of ours.

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
MNGeeks61 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
If you promise to come back.

This one might be real!

Winter months are slow.

welp looks like OP has been busy...hasn't had time to come back.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see a follow-up from the OP, so my advice is to take it step wise. Travel a few days, then a few weeks, then a few months. Meanwhile see how much you can downsize and what's left. With this, and the travel, you'll knows whether a home base is better than not. Then you can get into the bigger decisions like selling the house. Keep us posted.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
How can you put a price on their leaving? Surely that is worth way more than any reasonable storage fee you can think of....

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you saying I could have charged my kids for storage for all the stuff they left behind when they started their own adult lives? Darn it! :R
Puma 30RKSS

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did it. Started in 2011, rented out the house, got rid of most of our stuff except what we want to take with us. Sold the house in 2015 and are still on the road full-time. No longer workcamp. Did that for about 7 years. Just doing what we want, when we want and if we want now. Staying anywhere from 1 day to a couple of months at places. Enjoying life and will keep doing this for awhile yet.

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Still own 3 properties I use as layovers, basically travel 45 weeks per year, I budget roughly $3500 per month for all expenses the most expensive cost is fuel but I'm on the road most of the time.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you currently a RVer? If so, have you spent long periods of time in it?

Don't be like the couple that we bought our truck & trailer from. They had never so much as gone on a camping trip or rented a RV when they decided RVing fulltime was a good idea. They sold what was apparently a beautiful mountaintop home & bought new an upmarket 5er & a 3500 dually to pull it.

Well over $100,000.00 on what seemed like a good idea at the time.

Six months later, in September, they wanted OUT in the worst way. The lifestyle was not for them. Almost three months of trying to sell before we came along & bought truck & trailer for about $20,000 LESS than what the MSRP was on the trailer only. No negotiation. That is what this couple was asking. They had just committed on buying another house.

Don't be like them. Know what you are getting into.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
We did it.

But why do you want to do it and what are your resources?

What is your camping experience...particularly longer term trips? Full time is a much different world and short vacations are not the same thing.

DW looked into work camping a couple times...It wasn't hard work but the two she checked out were going to work out to the equivalent of $2/hr when you looked at the hours vs benefits.

If you are just looking for something to keep you occupied but have sufficient financial resources...go for it.

If you think you are going to completely or substantially support yourself doing it...look for another option.

And as someone else mentioned: Have an exit strategy. At some point you may want or not be able to continue...what happens then.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
cook you own meals for $10.00 per day

$300-ish per month for a grocery budget? Goodness, Iโ€™d be happy with double that! Family of 4, we run anywhere from $1,100-1,400 per month on groceries! (And that doesnโ€™t include our line item for restaurants!)
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
If you are over 62 (?) or qualify for the discount card at federal parks and you can dry camp some here is my "budget"

$10 to $12 a night camping less nights free dry camping
cook you own meals for $10.00 per day
Gas/Fuel about $3,000 a year -- stay 2 week at each campground

Total cost $10,000 to $12,000

No need to work.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Basically you want to become a "snow Birder" i.e. 3 months in Ariz., or Flordia for the winter months which is what I do. Work camping jobs would defeat the purpose of Snow Birding for me. When I retired I made a decision not to work any more or have some one control my life, but rather I choose to live my life with out limitations or constraints. I want the freedom to make or not make any decisions or committments when and where ever I want. If finances are the issue to support your RV style by Work camping, then you have your answer!

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
gina_tim1994 wrote:
My husband and I are looking to sell everything and start worcamping. Everyone is calling us crazy ??. Tell me your thoughts and stories.

Well ... what you are thinking about is nothing new by a long shot. Folks have been living as gypsies and nomads for milleniums all over the world.

So far the DW and myself are trying to retain the best of both worlds - keep our home which is situated "in nature" with quietness, trees, views, gardens, deer, etc. - but also enjoy outings in the RV for as long as 10 weeks, so far. Both worlds have their advantages and disadvantages up to a certain point.

HOWEVER, in no way would we want to be a gypsy or nomad when we're "old" ... that would be a bad situation in our opinion. So if you're thinking about going FT in an RV, in my opinion you better have an (expected) old-age or (unexpected) physical-limitation exit plan that is well thought out with regard to both medical logistics and financial realities.

P.S. We also have friends, loved ones, and service groups that simply "keeping in touch via a smartphone" for long periods would just plain not be appropriate or work.
Im with you on this on. Everyone should have an exit plan. I don't think it has to be all or nothing. I too live on 10 acres of beautiful wilderness. Travelling most of the year is my dream too, but I need somewhere to call home, and Im not willing to give up my 4 wheeler, snowmobiles, boat etc. They have to go somewhere. For me it is not all or nothing. What if you don't like it. Test the waters for a while. I have been dipping my toes for several years now. When I come home after being gone for months, I kind of feel like I just want to keep going. After being home for a month or two, Im ready to go again. Who knows, maybe next time I might feel different, and don't feel like going again. Options are a good thing. Only your heart knows for sure.