Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Who has sold everything and started rving for life
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Who has sold everything and started rving for life

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
gina_tim1994

Grovetown

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/19 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband and I are looking to sell everything and start worcamping. Everyone is calling us crazy ??. Tell me your thoughts and stories.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/19 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you promise to come back.

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/19 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First Welcome. You have to say more about yourself and the RV you own.

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. Have an exit plan.

2. When I started FT I pretended that I had died. I gave away all the stuff to the people I wanted to inherit it and the junk I gave to Goodwill.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/19 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife, 2 kids, and I took off on a 1 year trip back in June 2015. 2 years in, we sold the house (we were renting it out at a loss). 3 years in, we returned and sold our belongings.

We are now 4 1/2 years in.

But, "rving for life"? I don't know. We'll do it as long as it stays fun and is practical. I don't think of much anything that I do as "for life".

But for now, it's fun and we're enjoying it. We'll keep it up.

No one can tell you if you're crazy or not. No one can tell you if you'll love it or not.

Will you be happy in a tiny house with limited stuff? Will you mind having to watch the weight of items coming in and going back out? Will you and your husband fair well in a tight space 24/7? Will you enjoy dealing with the public while work camping?

What's your why? Why do you want to live this life?

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are lots of folks who get rid of everything and their only home is their RV. It's not a crazy idea at all. You will always be surrounded by nay-sayers. If you listen to "them" you'll never have a single new experience in your life, except watching on the Discovery Channel all the great places you'll never go to.

No, not a crazy idea at all. Go for it. Live your dream and don't listen to anyone that has negativity. If you want to be positive about this, then start surrounding yourself with "positive" people. Make your dream come true. You, and only you can live your life and only you can make your dreams reality!

MNGeeks61

Minneapolis, MN

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/19 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

If you promise to come back.

This one might be real!

Winter months are slow.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/19 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gina_tim1994 wrote:

My husband and I are looking to sell everything and start worcamping. Everyone is calling us crazy ??. Tell me your thoughts and stories.

Well ... what you are thinking about is nothing new by a long shot. Folks have been living as gypsies and nomads for milleniums all over the world.

So far the DW and myself are trying to retain the best of both worlds - keep our home which is situated "in nature" with quietness, trees, views, gardens, deer, etc. - but also enjoy outings in the RV for as long as 10 weeks, so far. Both worlds have their advantages and disadvantages up to a certain point.

HOWEVER, in no way would we want to be a gypsy or nomad when we're "old" ... that would be a bad situation in our opinion. So if you're thinking about going FT in an RV, in my opinion you better have an (expected) old-age or (unexpected) physical-limitation exit plan that is well thought out with regard to both medical logistics and financial realities.

P.S. We also have friends, loved ones, and service groups that simply "keeping in touch via a smartphone" for long periods would just plain not be appropriate or work.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did it, BUT not before answering the question: What if we don't like it?

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/19 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you an experienced non-full time RVer? I suggest trying the lifestyle before you sell everything.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Who has sold everything and started rving for life
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.