Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: RV'ing with a cat
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> RV'ing with a cat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My choice of campgrounds has not changed because of the cats. If my cats are nervous or scared, then they go inside the trailer. The trailer is their safe place - not a tree or bush or hole or log, etc.

My last trip, there were two dogs across the way from me. They came over occasionally to say hello. When they did, The Cat went straight into the trailer. When they would leave, The Cat would walk along the bumper and watch them go. Then he would come back out. The entire time, he had his harness on and was tethered to the inside of the trailer.

With all the potential dangers outside (eagles, coyotes, snakes, etc.), I would never let my cat wander around on his own. It would just take a second for a snake to strike and I'd lose my cat. NOT an option.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do worry about my cats. But the bargain I have with my old man cat, who I've traveled with for the last 5 years is that he tolerates the driving, which he hates, and the campgrounds with dogs, where I do not let him out, in exchange for me tolerating him going out and hunting at night when we boondock. There has to be some aspect of the trip that is fun for him.

Has been an outdoor cat most of his life, and survived one Pitbull attack. He is a very, very cautious animal. The van has his safe space, too. If he doesn't want to come in, he goes up into the undercarriage of the van. No animals can get him there.

My other cats, I don't have as much experience with, so I'm not as confident in their skills. On the way South, I just didn't let them out of the van at all. And not for the first four or five days in our new location, even though there are many other cats and it is pretty safe.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio wrote:

When we boondock, he stays out till 2 in the morning, but he comes by the van every half hour to let me know he's ok and having a fantastic time. He knows I worry :-). He also hops in the van if something spooks him.

I love my cats enormously, and some people might think that I am endangering them by letting them go out. But it's so wonderful to see them happy, and they love to be outside.
X2. That's the way I look at it. Let them be cats.

Having a kitty along definitely changes where I camp. Trees and brush are a must.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We let ours have free run once their in the rig. On my old rig, I screwed one of those shorty scratching post to the floor in the back and they loved it. If you don't have a scratching post, they do a number on your upholstery. Mine likes to lay on my lap while I'm driving, but if she thinks I'm lost she'll lay on the dash right in front of me to give me directions [emoticon]

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

DilanYah

London

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/19 03:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been RV'ing with three cats and one small dog. They have traveled with us the past 15 years. Our oldest cat is 19 and she will go with us again as we hit the road next summer. Cats are in fact great travelers....each of our kitties have their own spot in the RV. If you are a new cat owner, you can find some useful hacks on https://goodcatlife.com/

* This post was edited 12/19/19 04:31am by DilanYah *

AlishaHoward

2852 Lords Way Arlington

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's an interesting story. It is difficult to say how the adaptation in many animals. interesting information. Sometimes looking for information on the site ***Link Removed***http://essaypapers.reviews/ to find interesting content.

* This post was last edited 10/30/20 04:31am by AlishaHoward *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> RV'ing with a cat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.