cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Warranty work on TT v 5r v MH

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
I've been at this RV thing for a while now and it is my impression that (proportionally) there is a lot more warranty work done on TTs as opposed to 5ers and MHs. And less to a MH than a 5er. This makes sense as more money spent seems to = better build.
What do you all see/think about this observation? Does it fit your experiences?
22 REPLIES 22

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
CF,

That is a bad bet....

A good friend wanted a specific coach. He found one at a deal price - Low Mileage and just over a year old. He bought it and it is fortunate that he is a skilled technician because it took him almost the next year to get it to be reliable and usable.

Matt
Only made it to the 3rd post - the thread is bound to be "gee whiz" stuff....however -

as above a friend purchased a top of the line Newmar DP -new- spent the first year in and out of the dealer - even (respectful) calls with the head of the company (or his direct rep).

Sure - they got it done under warranty.....but no compensation for down time, while they kept on making the payments...:(

Now - the TTs & 5ths (and any RV): There are folks who will bring it back (under warranty) if they find a loose screw in a cabinet, etc. etc. - and point to all the problems they had.

I personally have had TTs, slide-in camper, MHs (no DPs), and currently a Jayco 5th purchased new, with 2yr factory warranty I never needed.

Never had a problem with the TTs - one of which bought new - or
the 5th. One (gas) MH I purchased new , but only kept it about a year.

Two minor "problems" with the 5th which were easily fixed by myself in about 15 minutes (at most).......but could have taken it to a dealer.

A year or so after I bought it, I was chatting with a salesman at a Jayco dealer in Vegas - regarding "fixits" - he "opined" every RV should come with a set of basic tools for the owner.......and owners with "real" or "genuine" warranty problems could get into the shop much, much easier.

I was in a campground in Oregon, just down the street from the Marathon (Prevost) factory. They had their own campground for folks who needed warranty repair. Do tourist things during the day while they worked on your coach.

Very nice arrangement - until I met a guy in the "normal" RV campground spending one night where I was. On chatting - they needed his coach for two weeks - motel for him! (Even if they paid - it was a "bummer" for him).

Bottom line...."QC" is just two letters of the alphabet - no matter what you purchase. Some easy - some difficult - some better than others - do your research....then roll the dice..:W

~

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
It seems to me that the MH will be more liable to have issues simply because of the complexity. If you include "tow vehicle and trailer/5th wheel", then that might change the odds.

I doubt the tow vehicle changes the equation much.

They build literally a million F150's per year...while there are still warranty claims, the level of quality control is much higher than a MH chassie that might see a few thousand per year. Even if you say it's 50-100k per year, they are unlikely to have the same level of quality control and then you have the chassie producer vs the final MH manufacturer working on things.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
If we're talking new vs new vs new, it's purely luck of the draw. As mentioned, they're all boxes with furnishings inside on wheels.
No reason for a moho to have more issues than the other 2. But you gotta count the tow vehicle in the equation with the other 2.

I'd have to say including the drive train, there are potential reasons for more issues with MH vs TT/TV or FW/TV. I have seen issues with the quality of integration of the motorized chassis on MH. I haven't looked at recent MHs but there are a few significant differences. Since MH chassis are manufactured as incomplete vehicles with comparably limited production and integrated into the coach by the coach builder, there has historically been issues with the quality of that integration. Also, just based on production volumes there are probably thousands of pickup trucks produced for every MH chassis. Issues with passenger trucks and SUVs are more quickly identified and most have long production lineage that has identified and resolved many of the potential issues that tend to show up in MH drive trains.

Without regard to the drive train, as stated before, there is little to separate similar quality travel trailers, fifth wheels, and motor homes from each other in terms of repairs. Similar quality units from the same manufacturer will usually share the same overall construction methods resulting in similar "box" performance as far as roof and window leaks. They will share similar interior construction resulting in the same fit and finish for things like cabinets, cabinet doors, and wall construction. Appliances like stove, oven, refrigerator, water heater, air conditioners, and furnace are identical and similarly installed.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think part of the reasons for few posts about MH issues, is that I believe there are fewer people who can, or want to, work on their MH. Seems like more trailer and 5th wheel owners do their own small warranty work rather than hassle with taking it back to the dealer for every little thing. With the money output for a big MH, I bet many owners will pass on doing any warranty fixes on their own due to the overall complexity. JMO of course.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
oops, double tap. mods: pls delete this post if you see it. thx!

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
If we're talking new vs new vs new, it's purely luck of the draw. As mentioned, they're all boxes with furnishings inside on wheels.
No reason for a moho to have more issues than the other 2. But you gotta count the tow vehicle in the equation with the other 2.

Yes, just looking at new v new v new. But NOT looking at tow vehicle at all. Just at how much Quality the manufacturers put into their new product. I didn't intend to discuss Total Troubles with one vs the other. Just thinking along the lines of how much quality parts and workmanship the companies put into their products.

It seemed to me that there are many threads/posts discussing the problems with TTs from the factory and lamenting that finding Quality there was dang near impossible. I haven't owned a MH, but the folks I know that had them didn't seem to complain as much about them. Maybe its a 'type of person that buys' one of the other. Obviously from the posters here, I missed the boat.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Opposite. Our Endura and our 5th wheel had far more issues than our two pop-ups.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, folks. Thank you all for your thoughts.
(some folks pls rem that I am only talking about warranty work- of course the more 'things' one has, the more 'things' that can go wrong eventually)

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with others that a MH, due to complexity and the simple number of components, is more likely to have issues. SOME may have a better build grade due to cost, but the cost is more about the powetrain than it is the coach (at least on the more cost-effective units).

The other factor I would think at play, however, would be the ability for the DIY repair. MH's have many more components that the average DIY'er can't repair. Most of the work needed on a TT or a FW I can do myself, meaning it spends minimal time in the shop. Put me in a MH and you've added a host of things I wouldn't be able to touch!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
A TT is a box on wheels. A 5er is a differently shaped box on wheels.

A MH is a box on wheels with a tow vehicle built in to it. Makes sense they'd have more issues.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree with the others and say MH because of the complexity of their systems seem to have the most issues. Then followed by the 5th wheel that is decked out with all the bells and whistles. The basic travel trailer might have fit and finish issues but not as many complex systems to go wrong.

I would even break it down further into travel trailer's that don't have slideouts are less likely to have problems then those that do. This has been my experience.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
It seems to me that the MH will be more liable to have issues simply because of the complexity. If you include "tow vehicle and trailer/5th wheel", then that might change the odds.

When we picked up our 5th wheel, the dealer had a campground where you could stay. The place was nearly full of MH waiting to be worked on. We talked to some and a couple had been there for a week or two, and one guy had to come back in a month or so because they were waiting on parts. It seemed that most of the issues were electric/electronic in origin. That's why I tend to lean towards the MH being the most likely to have problems.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
There is far more complaints of MH on the 3 boards I hang out on than 5er's and TT's
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.