cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cost of dental work on a small dog?

We are looking at rescuing an 8 pound Yorkie, sentenced to be put down. It's a kennel dog (AKA puppy mill female) and cannot have any more puppies at 6 years old due to complications of a problem litter she had.

We desperately want to save this little girl from death, but have a concern about possible huge vet bills.

Getting her spayed and having a thorough vet exam and shots is no problem, that's a given, but I'm wondering about her teeth.

I have a family member (a professional dog groomer) going to see her this afternoon to give her a visual examination, including the teeth. Family member took a course on basic teeth care, cleaning, examination etc, but not dental work.

It's about 200 miles one way, so can't really go there myself until we go get her to give her a new home.

My question here is: Can anyone tell me the rough cost, in Canada, of dental work on a small dog? Broad question, I know, but things like having extractions done, pulling some or all her teeth.

We really want to save this little girl, but cannot afford to spend thousands to do it.

In about 2 1/2 hours I have to give a yes / no answer over the phone on whether we will take her or not.

I am really out of touch with vet costs, so thought I would ask here.
I know I could call a local vet here and ask, but I know there are a lot of dog owners here who perhaps may know.

Thanks.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
35 REPLIES 35

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
She is beautiful!
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Adorable!
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

A couple more photos:

And after a hard day at the office! :B

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Congrats on her coming home!

I always tell adopters that the animal will start off on "I don't want them to send me back" good behavior for several weeks. As they start to realize they aren't being sent away (to another home) again, then they will start showing their true personality and will start to push the envelope a bit to see what they can get away with.

Yep. The honeymoon period.

Now I have had a small handful of fosters who were the same from Day 1. Their behavior never changed much at all. Those were the dogs who were naturally calm and laid back. And IME it's a bit different with a puppy mill/back yard breeder dog. Unfortunately some of those never really show a naughty side because they never get over the fear. ๐Ÿ˜ž Hopefully one day your little girl will be totally naughty in a funny/harmless way, and you'll know that she knows she's okay now.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

toedtoes wrote:

I always tell adopters that the animal will start off on "I don't want them to send me back" good behavior for several weeks. As they start to realize they aren't being sent away (to another home) again, then they will start showing their true personality and will start to push the envelope a bit to see what they can get away with.

Lol! Thanks, something to look forward to! :B

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

We have her home now, got back from the rescue trip late yesterday afternoon. She is very very shy and reserved, retreats to her little "cave" shelter we bought. We bring her out to sit with us for a while, feeding and outside breaks. She runs back into shelter where she feels safe.

She is soooo good, I can't believe it. I have not heard a sound from her yet, not even a woof. She just sits and stares at us. Kinda sad but we will get her used to us and happy.

It will take a lot of time to bring her out of her shell, but we both have the patience of Job with her and will work as long as it takes.

She is indeed a blessing for us. We are very happy to have her.
It's hard to get good pictures, I have a few, but she won't pose for the camera! Lol!

Can't wait for RV time next year! It's going to be great!

Scottiemom wrote:

God bless you for rescuing this poor little waif. She will reward your lives many times over because you saved her life.

God bless all rescuers.

Keep us posted on your wee one.

Dale

Thank you!:)

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Scottiemom wrote:
I hope you are able to rescue this girlie. A pox on backyard breeders who breed these babies over and over again without regard to their health.

Dale

She is ours, gone from the breeder and spent her first night with my cousin. She is safe now, and we will get her soon. She has a written schedule from the vet for the skin treatment, which we will take over once we get her.
She will get her bath and groom tomorrow. We are deciding on the style now. So many ways to groom a Yorkie. We prefer shorter as opposed to the hair hanging way down on the floor.
I'll post a pic when I can

God bless you for rescuing this poor little waif. She will reward your lives many times over because you saved her life.

God bless all rescuers.

Keep us posted on your wee one.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
DutchmenSport wrote:
If you love the animal, cost of vet bills is no object. Once you've paid the price, the animal becomes even more valuable to you! (no wonder our dogs allow us to sleep in "their" bed!")....

Cost is an object even for my own health care. Nobody lives forever. I promise.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
What a cutie! Her skin should even out with decent, consistent food. And our rescue vet routinely does dental work while doing a spay/neuter, that really cuts down on the bill.

Thanks for rescuing her!
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Awwww, what a cutie!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
A live dog with tartar on it's teeth is better than dog that is destined to death because nobody will adopt him.
Kevin

midnightsadie wrote:
if that rash is whats known as a hot spot? just put malox on it and it,ll clear up. daughter has four labs know some tricks to stay away from a vet bill.

Not sure what the rash is. She is in good hands now and will be well taken care of and loved. Doing research shows Yorkies are prone to dry skin. We shall work on it.