cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Required hitch for 6 3/4' bed

tomllamas
Explorer
Explorer
I just traded my 8' long bed truck and bought one with a 6 3/4' bed.
Can I use the same hitch or do I need s sliding hitch?
22 REPLIES 22

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since the OP has made up his mind on what he is going to do, I am closing this thread.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your Ford rear axle center should be about 41"s back from cab. If you adjust your hitch so pin will be centered, or just forward, mine is at 40"s behind cab, you should be fine. With my rig, EZ Turn front nose design, I'd not worry being only 37"s behind the cab.

A certain amount of awareness is always needed, in tight situations, no different than backing a TT or boat.

Jerry

tomllamas
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your input. I am going to use my current hitch.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
LongBed cures all issues.

No , situational awareness cures issues . All a long bed is , is a false sense of security , you can make contact with the cab with a long bed..

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Until you back up while turning one way and looking the other. You'll still hit.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
BugsRLB wrote:
Have towed this 5vr with this truck for at least 4K plus miles without incident! Made a too sharp turn at a fuel stop and POW, there goes the rear window! Now I am super self conscience of my turns. That is why we changed to Pullrite Superglide Auto Slider. You make the call, but I just was to gun-shy after breaking the window!

I have towed now with a short bed for going on 15 years now. nearly 6 years now with the shortest of the short bed trucks a Ram. Made a lot of sharp turns, and I know what can happen. It only takes once. I have went as far as having someone walk along side as I pulled out of a tight spot, have done this since day 1. Best insurance .

tomllamas
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. I believe I'll do so. I have only towed it twice in five years as I use my truck camper for travel.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sometimes using a short bed truck runs into problems if the terrain is not level. It the truck and trailer are at two different grades from side to side, or the truck or trailer tires happen to drop into a ditch or while leaving a gas station, or while turning or backing up, the shortbed truck will allow the trailer to contact the cab or take out the rear window. This can happen even if you have plenty of clearance for normal maneuvering.
Just something else to be aware of and watch for. I think if I were you,for infrequent use, I would just use my existing hitch and watch carefully where I go and what the trailer is doing.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

tomllamas
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. It's something I'll have to consider.

BugsRLB
Explorer
Explorer
Have towed this 5vr with this truck for at least 4K plus miles without incident! Made a too sharp turn at a fuel stop and POW, there goes the rear window! Now I am super self conscience of my turns. That is why we changed to Pullrite Superglide Auto Slider. You make the call, but I just was to gun-shy after breaking the window!

2018 Ford F350 SRW 6.7PowerStroke/6 Speed Auto
2017 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

tomllamas
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much. That's a big help.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
tomllamas wrote:
I just traded my 8' long bed truck and bought one with a 6 3/4' bed.
Can I use the same hitch or do I need s sliding hitch?

I have to ask why go backwards? Also why not ask that question before buying a short bed truck?

I don't think he cared about the so called going backwards. You know as well as I do ,there are more short beds out there towing then long beds .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
tomllamas wrote:
Thanks all for your help. I don't travel with it often as I have a lot on the water in Florida. I just hate to invest in a new hitch for such infrequent use.

Just be careful, I have NEVER towed a fifth wheel with a long bed ,and NEVER will.

I watched a friend of mine on a hunting trip with a short bed ford , and wondered when we went off road just a half mile to a camp spot why he even had a slider. I could not see when we were backing in to the spot he could hit the cab. Lots of clearance. His hitch is positioned two inches forward of the axle, but with the rounded nose of his Montana fifth wheel not a problem.

I experienced pretty much the same with my Superduty, now with the Ram, and of course the shortest of the short beds I am a little closer with my fifth wheel, but still no issues, and I have never HAD to slide my slider back.

Use your existing hitch , and be aware, no different then if you were towing with a long bed.