Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Required hitch for 6 3/4' bed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Required hitch for 6 3/4' bed

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
tomllamas

shaftsbury vermont

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/19 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just traded my 8' long bed truck and bought one with a 6 3/4' bed.
Can I use the same hitch or do I need s sliding hitch?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/19 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Tom...don't know what hitch you have, but most cases you won't need a slider with a Ford 6'9" bed. Some hitches have some ahead back adjustment, but if you have the pin centered over axle center, or a little forward, yours will work.

I've used several FWs with Ford 6'9" inch beds, no issue.

Jerry

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/19 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the front corners of the trailer are cut away you should be alright in most situations. An automatic slider is great for peace of mind if your credit card can take the hit but not always necessary.

theboondork.com

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/19 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a short bed GMC crew cab, I've never had a slider hitch, and I've never had any problems. But the front of my Arctic Fox fifth wheel 27 – 5L is cut away on the front to give more clearance when you're jackknifed.

theboondork.com

tomllamas

shaftsbury vermont

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/19 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for your help. I don't travel with it often as I have a lot on the water in Florida. I just hate to invest in a new hitch for such infrequent use.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/19 11:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomllamas wrote:

I have to ask why go backwards? Also why not ask that question before buying a short bed truck?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/19 04:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll bite and I have posted before:

Short beds meet the 22 foot rule in places like Toroweap/Tuweep. The 22 foot rule is just an extension of the shorter, the easier to turn around.

Short beds save money on ferry crossings without the camper, like Newfoundland. Just back from a moose hunt.

Short beds give a slight edge with sliders in tight spots, even with a notched 5er. You move the pivot behind the wheels, kinda like a conventional trailer. Slider in an 8 foot bed does the same thing, but the front sticks out 2 more feet.

If I only towed, 8 footer all the way, but I don't. I would just get a towhauler. I do medium 4 wheeling after I drop the tail, plus hunting, fishing, hauling wood, apples and so on. A compromise.

For people like me, SRW, club cab and short bed. Its taken the 5er to 48 states and explored mud holes, back roads, sand and slickrock the best a pick up can do. It also tows the 48 CJ2 for more interesting work.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 05:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomllamas wrote:

You can use the same hitch but just be aware of a cab strike depending on your combo.

No info on your combo so we have no idea if a slider is needed or not.

Many GM short bed owners find a sliding hitch isn't needed as GM has the longest C/A (cab to rear axle) dimension.

Other posters have brought up the point about some trailer have the notched/rounded front corners for towing with short bed trucks.

I use nothing but short bed trucks for towing RV trailers. I would recommend installing the hitch with the pin zero over the trucks rear axle. That way you get the trailer the farthest possible from trailer/truck cab contact.

If you find the trailer can contact the trucks cab then sell the hitch on craigslist and by a hitch type that doesn't allow that contact.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/19 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP: Many hitches will allow you to just buy the slider, use your old head and rails. We find the manual slider to be the best compromise for money and convenience. Any spot that we think needs the slider, the land guide (wife) and I usually get out, look and plan. Sliding the camper just takes another 30 seconds.

Happy camping.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/19 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomllamas wrote:

Thanks all for your help. I don't travel with it often as I have a lot on the water in Florida. I just hate to invest in a new hitch for such infrequent use.

Just be careful, I have NEVER towed a fifth wheel with a long bed ,and NEVER will.

I watched a friend of mine on a hunting trip with a short bed ford , and wondered when we went off road just a half mile to a camp spot why he even had a slider. I could not see when we were backing in to the spot he could hit the cab. Lots of clearance. His hitch is positioned two inches forward of the axle, but with the rounded nose of his Montana fifth wheel not a problem.

I experienced pretty much the same with my Superduty, now with the Ram, and of course the shortest of the short beds I am a little closer with my fifth wheel, but still no issues, and I have never HAD to slide my slider back.

Use your existing hitch , and be aware, no different then if you were towing with a long bed.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Required hitch for 6 3/4' bed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.