Hicks3456
Explorer
Explorer
Removed
21 REPLIES 21

hewebb
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a Blue Ox base plate in a SRX. I watched a video from e-trailer first. I followed the instructions and all went well, but, it was not as quick as the video seemed to make it. The nuts with wire did not cause a problem.

dr3270
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed my 3rd Blue Ox baseplate. This one for the 2019 Ranger has issues with the 3/4" bolt that goes inside the Ranger frame to hold the bracket on. With the last two baseplates I installed the plate side of the nutplate was long enough to bottom out on either the top or the bottom of the vehicle frame to allow the bolt to be torqued to spec. For the Ranger the plate is only approximately 2" and will not bottom out (base needs to be at least 4"). Because of this I can only apply about 10 lbs if torque instead of the 80 ft lbs specified. I called Blue Ox and explained this and the customer service told me I had to hold onto the rod while tightening and he sent me the exact same nutplates. Tried tightening while holding the rod and guess what, rod snapped off with less than 20 ft lbs of torque. No way to get a tool into the frame to grab the nut. I can only hope the Locktight works.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I have used nothing but Blue Ox base plates and tow bars on five toads and have never had any problems with any of them. But I will say that I would not install them myself. When you have to remove the fenders and the whole front end of a brand new auto, you want a good job done on reapplying everything back in a professional way. The bolts that I got on the last base plate for my 2018 Buick Envision they had self locking nuts. It did not need any lock tite.
They done a great job on the installation of the base plate, plus wiring so the battery is getting charged, plus the harness is also wired for the lights on the toad to work in conjunction with the coach.

Don't know much about RoadMaster, but I am sure there are other brands just as good as Blue Ox.

But I would never use a tow dolly. I lost a vehicle once. That was the end of that. And some RV resorts they do not have room for the storage once you arrive.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well as I said the only problems I've had. I will list them
Original base plate install the installer DID NOT follow directions.. not Blue Ox's fault. they said to use locktite on the threads.. We found several lost or missing bolts. Base plate not damaged. no damage to car either caught it in a visual inspection.

2: I lost the receiver pin on the rv.. I believe I know how it happend but do not wish to explain (it is convoulted) again NOT blue Ox's fault.. But Blue Ox replaced the tow bars for me no charge they even paid for me to ship the old one back.. They offered to pay damages to the towed if it was determined to be their fault (I told them it was not.. they finally agreed with me, and yes, I have the training to know the difference).

3: I am now using roadmaster safety cables.. I really like Roadmaster safety cables but installed them backwards (with the clips at the car instead of the RV cause they won't clip onto the RV without modification.. Of course I had to "Modify" the car too (mending link on the attachment hole) the blang things knocked the spring pins out of the tow pins. DID NOT LOOSE TOW PIN.

Turned the tow pins around so the spring pins are away from the cables. No problem.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Its pretty bad when they supply safty cable's to hold the hitch to the frame and 3 lousy bolts to hold the hitch on, just as bad when I put the hitch on my 03 jetta and just about lost it in Wisconson, same deal, bolts to small, had to rebild the whole hitch when we got home, using 3/8 angle and 1/2" bolts, no problem's for the next 8 yrs untill we sold the car. Car dolly after that.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Ford Ranger Pickup (Includes ACC) Installation Instructions BX2679

https://www.blueox.com/products/baseplates/coming-soon-bx2679-ford-ranger-pickup-includes-adaptive-c...
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Page 7 shows the 5 volts on each side and the order to tighten them. Which bolt is from hell?

Hicks3456
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
The installation instructions for a 2019 ranger base plate make it look easy. No plastic to cut, no holes to drill and only the skid plate to remove and reinstall.

The instructions do not show the bolts from hell. Not easy.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The installation instructions for a 2019 ranger base plate make it look easy. No plastic to cut, no holes to drill and only the skid plate to remove and reinstall.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hicks3456 wrote:
Executive wrote:
Not dissing the OP here, but some of his 'issues' could have been avoided if he'd bought directly from BlueOx. From the web page of his distributor... "We are an independent authorized dealer for Blue Ox products, not affiliated with Automatic Equipment Manufacturing."

I've installed three Blue Ox base plates and found their instructions to be easy to read. The wires on the nuts are the only way to get them in place and get them secured. Blue Ox personnel are always easy to reach and very informative. I find them to be an above average company....Dennis

Not true! I bought from Blue Ox.com who is the distributer for Blue Ox - they have no idea how the baseplates are installed. They were nice but could not help. Blue Ox was not available to help.

The base plate for the 2019 Ford Ranger is next to impossible to install.

Well, my friend, you posted you purchased and dealt with the folks at BlueOxTowBars.com which simply sells BlueOx products. They are NOT affiliated with Automatic Equipment Manufacturing (AKA Blue Ox) as per their disclaimer. I've dealt with the manufacturer and found them to be excellent. I'm sure most, if not all of the positive posts here are from people who have done likewise. IMO, you simply got a bad distributor not a bad product....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mistakes happen but I've found blue ox very good.
The packer may have grabbed bolts for a different base plate by accident.

Another error is the "this bolt too long this one too short" error (You need to used the wrong bolts) though I doubt that was your problem

My first towed the RV dealer installed the base plate. Did not use Locktite on the bolts (Specified by Blue Ox) with predictable results (We used loctite when we replaced them)

The other one was installed by U-Haul and far as I know (last inspected this week) all bolts still tight.

Now other things on the car used for towing.. I'm gonna have a nice long talk with the folks who did the Remco Lube Pump and ran the wires were they would not last.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
One more pro Blue Ox. I have installed at least 6 base plates on many different vehicles with no problems whatsoever, and have used Blue Ox tow bars for over 25 years. We have been to the factory, talked to their customer support and even had them use our new vehicle as a template to develop a new base plate for a new model truck. As to the nuts on a wire, how else would you get the nuts to where they need to be?
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

Hicks3456
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Not dissing the OP here, but some of his 'issues' could have been avoided if he'd bought directly from BlueOx. From the web page of his distributor... "We are an independent authorized dealer for Blue Ox products, not affiliated with Automatic Equipment Manufacturing."

I've installed three Blue Ox base plates and found their instructions to be easy to read. The wires on the nuts are the only way to get them in place and get them secured. Blue Ox personnel are always easy to reach and very informative. I find them to be an above average company....Dennis

Not true! I bought from Blue Ox.com who is the distributer for Blue Ox - they have no idea how the baseplates are installed. They were nice but could not help. Blue Ox was not available to help.

The base plate for the 2019 Ford Ranger is next to impossible to install.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG