cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Harvest Host users

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Buddy is trying to get us to sign up for Harvest Host camping sites. Any one with pros/cons other than most have no hookups.
14 REPLIES 14

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not being able to get much information on HH without joining is a pain but nevertheless I joined today & spent a couple of hours digging around here & there. We are not wine drinkers but wine does not seem to be the only commodity at many winerys.

Provided the weather is not too cold or too hot no power suits us just fine. We have lots of operating windows. Being off the beaten track suits us just fine too. We generally make a real effort to avoid the interstates & often travel for hours & not see another RV on the roads we frequent. We are CG walkers so meeting & chatting with people is the norm for us. The 24 hour booking window works for us as well since we seldom make reservations except maybe for weekends. The one night policy is mildly concerning but a policy is only a policy. We are perfectly capable of dry camping for more than one night. If we are welcome for more than one, so much the better.

I am a big fan of taking pictures of old barns & machinery, something you can't do when flying by at 65mph. We are really looking forward to putting the HH membership to use next year. Has to beat Walmart camping by a long way. Much cheaper too.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We have belonged to boondockers welcome since it began. We have used it many times and have had good experiences. It is nice to chat with local people and get ideas of local places to visit, shop, bargains, etc. It is often a good alternative when campgrounds are booked in an area you want to visit. We always give our host a small token of our appreciation to cover electricity costs and other nice things they might have done for us.

We have never bothered with Harvest HOsts as I don't like feeling obligated to buy wine, jams, etc. when I don't really want them.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
If you like wine it is great.

Much better than walmart or cracker barrel for sleeping

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
All depends on what you're looking for in your RV travel experiences. We've been members for about 4 years, and we keep renewing, so evidently it works for us. Here's a set of questions for you to consider. If your answers are generally "yes," then you'd probably enjoy being HH members.

1. Is there room in your travel life for 1-night stops? (Often hosts will let you stay more than one night, but it is only by request, and you shouldn't plan on it.)
2. Do you enjoy meeting people and talking with them about their businesses and/or farms?
3. Do you enjoy family-run farms and wineries? (This is the vast majority of HH hosts).
4. Are you willing to go a little bit out of your way from your direct, straight-line travel route to discover your overnight location?
5. Are you willing to spend a little money (we usually spend around $30) in exchange for an overnight and some "product?"
6. Are you comfortable staying overnight at a location that is usually rural and where you might be the only ones around?

Some of our most memorable travel experiences have been at Harvest Host locations. The quiet beauty of the rural locations, along with the interesting people and good wines, have been great.

Has your friend told you that he gets a discount on his dues if he recruits you?

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
ependydad wrote:
Hereโ€™s my full review on it:
Harvest Hosts Review on LearnToRV

Your link isn't working.

Thanks for the head's up. It's been fixed.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
We like it but don't save any money because we leave with many undiscovered wines and treats!
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the Harvest Host discussion from last month.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:

Your link isn't working.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer

Longest story shortest, we love it but it almost never fits our actual travel style. We rarely do overnights. And if we do, we are stopping late (generally 9pm or later). Harvest Hosts want you to arrive during business hours.

(Edit, link fixed.)
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

outdoorlovers
Explorer
Explorer
I follow Technomadia on FB. They fulltime RV and love it. They often stay in vineyards, etc.
2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed, 4X4, tow package
2014 Jayco FW Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
Yamaha EF2400iS gen

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are members of both but have never used either one of them. Harvest Hosts haven't really been in areas we have traveled with going a distance to get to them, and boondockers welcome , it just feels strange to me to think of parking at someones home that I don't know. Some love that sort of thing, I guess I'm not cut out for that.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
No hookup sites arenโ€™t difficult to find and I prefer them. So...I donโ€™t need HH and their membership fee.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
I am not a member of Harvest Hosts, but I have been traveling for just over a year now. Have talked to several people in the campgrounds who are members and they are very happy with it.

IMO, besides the annual membership which has increased to my understanding and
suggested purchases from hosts, most no hookups, would not make me want to join.

I did a search here after I posted and I don't mind no HU at times but if I have to spend a bunch at the gift shop it can get expensive.
In the search was mentioned boondockerswelcome.com and it seems more relaxed.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I am not a member of Harvest Hosts, but I have been traveling for just over a year now. Have talked to several people in the campgrounds who are members and they are very happy with it.

IMO, besides the annual membership which has increased to my understanding and
suggested purchases from hosts, most no hookups, would not make me want to join.