Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Why Tesla's are bad at towing!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Why Tesla's are bad at towing!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This would be ideal for me:

https://sonomotors.com/

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

So what's everyone else's problem again?[emoticon]
Yes that is the part that grinds on me. Everyone has an example why Tesla or an EV in general cannot work for them.

SO DON"T BUY IT

Nothing works for everybody in every possible situation. Be happy for those that can make it work.

Why is that so hard?

Haters have to hate and the envious have to heckle.[emoticon][emoticon]

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

So what's everyone else's problem again?[emoticon]
Yes that is the part that grinds on me. Everyone has an example why Tesla or an EV in general cannot work for them.

SO DON"T BUY IT

Nothing works for everybody in every possible situation. Be happy for those that can make it work.

Why is that so hard?

Because this is a forum where we can discuss such things. If you do not like it then take your own advice and leave the thread. There are many threads on this forum that I don't even go into because the topic either does not interest me or I know it will be a circle jerk I don't want to be involved in. People have the right to voice their opinions about topics here regardless if others get triggered by it or not. I know ta'll Tesla guys can't stand for people talking bad about your favorite brand, but in reality Tesla is not the only one. People talk **** about all of the brands even though they have no intention of buying one so suck it up buttercup.

As far as the topic goes.... As it stands today, Tesla's and all other EV's are not good tow vehicles because they do not have enough energy density to tow much over 100 miles(if even that) based on the kilowatt hours of storage of their batteries.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 12:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good for who? Some are doing it right now.

Lead, follow or just get out of the way.....

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Good for who? Some are doing it right now.

Lead, follow or just get out of the way.....

Some are towing over 100 miles and back while reaching their destination in the same time as they would an ICE vehicle? You guys talk about the inconveniences of refilling a gas vehicle yet don't seem to have an issue with recharging a BEV multiple times a trip while towing adding hours to your journey.

As it stands right now, I can tow an RV 150 miles the coast, do a little driving in town and tow it back without even thinking about the "inconveniences" of filling up. Can you say the same with a BEV or even this new Cybertruck?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My F150 goes 170-200 miles towing before I need a refuel.
Was just out in DVNP where fuel was $5.20 a gallon. Searles Valley Shell was closed due to the earthquake. Was a bit tense for a bit until a few of us travelers found another grocer that was still pumping fuel. One person was beyond the point of no return.

There are no EVs planned or in production that could serve as a replacement for me towing. However I believe it is wonderful for those that can make it work. And I know many will NEVER tow with the CT so their limitations are even fewer. Am I buying one? Not a chance.

Ford, RAM, GM, Cybertruck, gas, diesel, EV, are all good. Get what suites you best.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will continue to get what suits me just like I always have. As a car/truck enthusiast, I will also continue to discuss things I see happening in the automotive industry whether it is a ICE or BEV regardless if I agree/disagree or like/dislike it.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure so why say Tesla is 'bad' at towing? Limited range and inconvenient charging sure. I bet Tesla is great at towing subject to the limitations. All vehicles have towing limitations and that does not necessarily make them bad.

mooky stinks

Cicero,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We haven't even begun to discuss what happens when it's goes down in the teens for months on end. We have 3 months a year that the highs are in the low 30s and lows are mid teens. Just curious, how do you warm the car/truck and keep it warm, and how much does that cut into your range?

2017 Silverado 1500 LT, Max Tow

2012 Outback 277RL

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many reasons why a particular vehicle may be bad at towing. Not enough capacity, not reliable, not stable enough, not enough tow rating, not enough power, not enough range. Take your pick on what is important to you and how/what you tow.

In the case of the Telsa and other BEV's today, there are several reasons such as their low energy density which severely limits their range versus many ICE tow vesicles. The other reason is recharge time which adds a lot more time to your trip since you could fill up to 100% full much faster in an ICE than a BEV can even with a mega-charger(if you can find a level 3 along your route). There is also the factor of not having enough room at most chargers so you are likely going to have to disconnect what your are towing to recharge. Talk about inconvenience. You may also be limited on recharging options depending on where you are at. Take your pick, but these are all limitations that hinder a Tesla being a good tow vehicle for trips over 100 miles as it stands today.

What is the point of a Tesla that can tow quick and fast if it can't get you to your destination without adding hours of recharging time? Tesla fanboys want to talk about how quick and fast a Tesla can tow, but then cry foul when you use the same tow speeds that you would in your ICE into the Tesla's range calculations. How Ironic is that?

* This post was edited 12/06/19 01:48pm by ShinerBock *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Why Tesla's are bad at towing!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.