cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exchanging propane cylinder that came with TT

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
I recently tried to have my 20lb propane tank refilled and it wouldn't fill. The person filling it determined it must be a bad valve. She proceeded to fill a second tank I had without issue. So my question, is there any reason NOT to just exchange the cylinder for a full one (at Menards, Walmart, etc)? I understand it's more costly, and you get less propane than if I did a refill. But is there any reason to keep the original that came with my TT? Or just exchange it and move on?
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH
45 REPLIES 45

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
I bought 2 new tanks at Costco with the gauges.

I had 2 other tanks and one of them "developed" a dent so Costco wouldn't fill it.

So off to the local hardware store for a no questions exchange.

BTW...here in Ontario individuals MUST be licensed to operate a propane filling machine.

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
drsteve wrote:
Flute Man wrote:
Personally, I would not turn in a tank that I knew was defective. You might take your old tank to a propane dealer and see if they could repair the old tank. To me, turning in a defective tank is the same as lying and cheating.

Not at all. The exchange companies specifically say that they will accept any tank, because they inspect and if necessary repair, or dispose of, every tank they get. It's part of their business model. Their customers know they are always getting a good tank, and they will always be able to exchange an empty, even if it fails while they are using it.

Agree.
I talked to our local propane dealer, and he said all returned tanks are inspected and repaired as needed. It is illegal to give out a tank with a known defect. He stated he would rather a defective tank be traded in than the homeowner try and get it refilled from a shady or careless supplier.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
Hi. My name is Hannibal
Ok.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Hello Hannibal,

Don't worry, admitting to that is half the battle ! ! ! !:B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. My name is Hannibal, and I've traded in a propane tank with a bad valve. 😞
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Only on rvnet, 4 pages and climbing about a propane bottle.....
At least the op came back. Climbing=complaining?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Only on rvnet, 4 pages and climbing about a propane bottle.....

I’m going to start a new thread, “What kind of toothpaste is best to use depending on what RV you have?”

Do some people actually go through life ruminating about propane bottles longer than it takes to turn one on to grill a steak or heat a camper?

Trade it in, buy a new one, play dukes of hazard and shoot it and blow it up, who cares. what’s to ponder here?
“I’m afraid if I get an exchange it will leak and kill me.....”. Paranoid much?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Do humanity a favor and declare that the tank you are turning in is defective so nobody will have an accident trying to reuse or refill it.

And order a cyber tuck!! Now....

Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
danimal53 wrote:
thanks for the quick replies, consensus seems to be just swap and move on.

It's only a single tank on the tongue, so no worries of matching collar heights or anything like that. Seems weird that my tank, which came new with a brand new TT 3.5yrs ago has a bad valve already. But I'll just swap it. thanks again everyone!

If I owned such a refill operation I would inspect the tanks before filling. I wouldn't want an old out of date or defective tank to become a liability.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Flute Man wrote:
Personally, I would not turn in a tank that I knew was defective. You might take your old tank to a propane dealer and see if they could repair the old tank. To me, turning in a defective tank is the same as lying and cheating.

Not at all. The exchange companies specifically say that they will accept any tank, because they inspect and if necessary repair, or dispose of, every tank they get. It's part of their business model. Their customers know they are always getting a good tank, and they will always be able to exchange an empty, even if it fails while they are using it.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Are any of the exchanges still a proprietary fill that needs a special key?
I have never seen a propane tank that required a "special key" to refill.
This may have disappeared. I think it was the TS2 valve that had a magnetic interlock required to refill.

Blue Rhino 2004

I had one of those Blue Rhino tanks one time. Uhaul could not refill it, and when researching I learned about the Blue Rhino locked valve. I came on this forum to complain, and someone told me it was impossible because Blue Rhino had quit doing that.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
kmac7800 wrote:
@GrandpaKip: Do happen to have a picture of yours? Where did you get them with the float gauge?

Thanks!

//KMac

One of them came from Costco and the other from Camping World. Bought one to see how it would do, then bought the other a year later when it was on sale and I had a coupon.
I tried the screw on gauge a few years ago and got rid of them; really worthless.
No pictures as I’m in Italy at the moment.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Are any of the exchanges still a proprietary fill that needs a special key?
I have never seen a propane tank that required a "special key" to refill.
This may have disappeared. I think it was the TS2 valve that had a magnetic interlock required to refill.

Blue Rhino 2004

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of my tanks was leaking. It was an Amerigas tank. The other wasn't. So I took the bad tank to Home Depot and turned it in. I told them it leaked. Then I bought a new tank and had it filled down the road.

I could have just exchanged it. But I preferred to buy a new tank and refill, rather than exchange and risk another leaky tank.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)