cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Protection Plans for new Entegra Odyssey 24b

RCB707
Explorer
Explorer
Hi!, My partner and I just bought a brand new 2020 Entegra Odyssey 24b. We have never owned an RV but love our trips to National Parks, Campsites, Lakes and felt that rather than always renting VBRO etc we could bring our home on wheels with it decked out to our own liking. 

We bought from La Mesa RV and we loved our sales experience with Zach. No pressure, friendly... At the end of the paperwork we were presented with protection plans and since we have never owned an RV we are wondering about these services. Safety and Security are my top of the things that I always keep in mind when making decisions so it is with that lens that I make decisions. I am sure we will make newbie mistakes that we realize "yep we didn't need that or yep we DID need that". We also don't make impulsive quick decisions without research. We have been looking at RVs for well over a year and knew ahead of time what we (thought) we wanted and a good price based on nationwide research of comparative pricing. 

So after that background here are the plans offered:

7 yr  or 5 yr complete protection

USA TRAVEL CARE

AGWS TIRE AND ROAD HAZARD

GUARANTEED ASSET PROTECTION

ECO CLEAN START

SAFERIDE ROADSIDE

We bought it primarily for the two of us though between us we have 6 mostly grown kids and two grandkids and a tiny yorkie. I can't imagine the older kids coming but I do have a 14 yr old that will come for sure on occasion. 

We are so excited about this new adventure and would welcome some experienced advice about these plans. Many thanks for the replies.

Warmly,

Ronda
13 REPLIES 13

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
70% of extended warranties ARE NEVER used. The "piece of mind" concept is amusing. Rarely do entire engines or transmissions fail before they have been used for awhile, by then the warranty is useless.

Take the cost of the warranty each month, put it in the bank and self insure, guaranteed you will have money left over at the end of the term.

Find a mobile RV mechanic in your area and get to know them. Avoid the dealer at all cost.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I'm as skeptical as the next RV'er, having been suckered into a 1/2 price extended warranty deal by the dealer's "closer". The OP's post didn't look like a stealthy ad for extended warranty to me.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Donโ€™t be a sucker. You have a warranty on your new RV already. If you want roadside assistance, get some, but not at the dealer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bobby_F
Explorer
Explorer
"Maybe I'm just cynical but, this sounds like another advertisement in the form of a question."

A dealer would never come onto a forum full of experienced RV'ers and ask for a listing of opinions about high-profit protection plans.

Might as well wear a Kick ME sign on their back.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
gbopp wrote:
Maybe I'm just cynical but, this sounds like another advertisement in the form of a question.
New member, first post and they praise the dealership and salesman. Then they list the options offered and use caps and double spacing. There was no mention of the price for the 'Protection Plan.'

Let's see if the OP comes back to comment.

It does make you question these newbie hit and run posts.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

pushtoy_2
Explorer
Explorer
road service ok but the rest of it save your money in a intrest berring account and do the repairs your self.. the coach should come with a warranty for at least a year,, make sure you get all the bugs out in that year .. JMO
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I'm just cynical but, this sounds like another advertisement in the form of a question.
New member, first post and they praise the dealership and salesman. Then they list the options offered and use caps and double spacing. There was no mention of the price for the 'Protection Plan.'

Let's see if the OP comes back to comment.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I look at it as money I would never have had.
In 1988 I was offered an extended warranty and didn't buy it. I put the money in a savings acct and did that with every other extended warranty that was offered to me since 1988. I tapped into that money 3x since then using a fraction of it because it leaped into six figures some years ago.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2, steelhunter.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

GGoodsell
Explorer
Explorer
I've bought four rigs from La Mesa and suspect you bought from the same location (Davis). My recommendation is to use the heck out of the rig while under factory warranty, note every little thing that is not correct and have it taken care of in the first year. Keep in mind that La Mesa is a big organization, sells a lot of units and there may be a significant delay in getting an appointment for service.
I agree with previous comments to save your money and NOT buy the additional coverage. I have bought them in the past when I got too caught up in the excitement of a new rig and only later noted the long list of items NOT covered. Other coverage, after the sale can be obtained from other suppliers.
Enjoy your new rig, its a great way to see the country!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
buying from the dealer will cost way more than from a another company ,the dealer makes a very large comission from you. buy from a private company, we use coach net.com been very good service , others will chime in with other good companies at a lesser fee. most the things there trying to sell you are not worth the paper its on.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Congratulations on your new purchase!

The general consensus is that you would be better placing the money for a warranty in the bank and paying for repairs as they occur. Warranties can be highly exclusive and you may never use them at all thus throwing money away. Your brand new RV will have a warranty for at least 12 mos. You should be able to shake out most issues under a dealer warranty in the first few months thus mitigating a need for any extra warranty for at least a year. IF buying a warranty after the factory warranty expires makes you sleep better at night, don't buy it from a dealer. They are highly marked up and it's pure profit for the dealer.

You should have a decent roadside assistance though and this is not to be confused with a warranty. Top choices are usually Coachnet and Good Sam.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

steelhunter
Explorer
Explorer
None of these plans are worth the money.