cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cell phone in Mexico

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
I asked this before but can't find what was suggested in the search....
I'm looking for a phone that I can use here in Maine and when traveling in Mexico - mostly for emergencies since we can Skype or Google Voice from the hotel for free when we call home.
If I remember correctly the phone needs to be GSM and I can buy an amigo sim card on Amazon or once in Mexico at an OXXO. This way it's pretty inexpensive.
GSM service here in Maine isn't as good as CDMA - there are phones that do both GSM & CDMA but I'm having difficulty figuring out what type of phone will suit both Mexico and Maine.
I have no personal cell phone now.
Any helpful suggestions to this Luddite would be appreciated!
24 REPLIES 24

Talleyho69
I'm still sold on our 100 pesos a month from TelCel. Lots of time and data, no I don't know how much of each. Our unused money rolls over to the next month.

Most people use Whatsapp. We just discovered their video calls, and like everything of theirs, it's free. Excellent quality from here to the US.

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
verizon
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
An update....
I bought a GSM Samsung A-20. T Mobile offers free use in the US, Mexico and Canada. There is a limit on data (5 GB in Mexico & Canada) but I never exceeded that cap while I was in Mexico.
Phone calls and texting was free and the voice quality was very good 90% of the time.
We traveled from Laredo to Cancun and back during February and March. This is a phone I use in the US mostly. Since I'm over 55 it costs about $45 a month including taxes.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
The Samsung A20 international version phone I purchased on Amazon and later added a T Mobile sim card did not work very well here in Maine. Locally, US Cellular owns many towers and T Mobile customers can use these towers with most phones. This international version was not on the list of approved devices so I could only use T Mobile towers - which are pretty consistent along interstate highways but pretty rare elsewhere in Maine. Then there are the bands each phone works on... It's complicated. So I purchased the same phone - but not the international version and it works well. Time (about 2 months) will tell how it works in Mexico.
T Mobile covers calls and texting in the US, Canada and Mexico.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I gave up on my Telcel Lanix. Bought a Huawei Y5 2019. Great phone was just over $2000 pesos.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Last month I bought an off-brand called STF Aura at Bodega Aurrera for $48. I have Telcel and I put 200 pesos a month on the phone. Works great, takes decent pictures, etc.

The new Samsung Galaxy 11 costs 20,000 pesos. No thanks, I'm not a video game junky. I need Whatsapp, GPS maps, calls, camera, and that's about it.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I have an AT&T phone from the US it works fine in Mexico,

navegator

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
I ended up buying an unlocked Samsung A20 GSM dual SIM phone using one (so far) T Mobile SIM with a no contract plan that costs $40 a month. This plan allows unlimited talk & text in the US, Mexico and Canada. A small amount of data is provided too - 2 or 5 gigs.
Unlike some of you I'll be in Mexico 60 days a year tops. Time will tell what type of service I'll get in Mexico.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
AT&T has GSM service - most other US carriers use CDMA - which I think will not work in Mexico or any other country since the US uniquely uses CDMA. I might be mistaken but that's my understanding.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Moto G5 dual sim, both my Telcel sim and AT&T sim work in Mexico, the uS and Canada.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Motorola phones are about as close to "universal" as you can get. Even the MotoE series has quad band (CDMA and GSM capabilities).
Moto
Either buy from Motorola direct, or ensure you buy an unlocked phone from Amazon or whoever. If you buy from Verizon, ATT or another cell provider they will have locked the phone to their service before you receive it.
This. It is called a Dual Band phone. It can run either GSM or CDMA. The US system is CDMA. The rest of the world is GSM.
The Motorola phones are dual band.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I've got a Verizon Unlimited Plan. I flew into San Diego on Tuesday and my phone welcomed me to Mexico. I don't ever plan to visit Mexico but I guess my phone will work there.

Yup, and if you ever get near the Canadian border, you will be welcomed to Canada

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a Verizon Unlimited Plan. I flew into San Diego on Tuesday and my phone welcomed me to Mexico. I don't ever plan to visit Mexico but I guess my phone will work there.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
The Amigo Telcel pay as you go does change. The price remains the same but the days of coverage changes. I think the $100 peso gives you about 17 days. It is still a good deal and it is 4G in most areas. I changed from my el cheapo Lanix to a Huawei. I think it was 1600 pesos. maybe a little more. Actually a pretty good phone.