cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A couple of distilleries in early April

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're planning to hit a couple of distilleries in early April and are looking for other ideas of sites, etc. Buffalo Trace would be the first stop then off to Jack Daniels, where we plan to stay at Tims Ford SP for a couple of days. At Buffalo Trace we're still looking for a park. We prefer State, COE or Military campgrounds.
From Tims Ford SP we will probably meander back home to St. Louis in a leasurely fashion, but are not opposed to stops to see new things. And take a slow leisurely cruise and maybe 5 to 8 days. (Retirement lets you do that)
Oh yeah, we will be coming from Elkhart, IN, in our new RV on its shakedown cruise. Yes, we will spend a night or two near the factory to check everything out before heading south.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
19 REPLIES 19

The_Kroc
Explorer
Explorer
I second Taylorsville State Park, a COE developed campground run by the State of Kentucky. There is not a bad site to be had and it's close to Bardstown KY, one of our favorite towns in the Midwest. It has "My Old Kentucky Home", a dinner train excursion, lots of history and a Stephen Foster Musical program in the Summer evenings

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I think we saw the real facilities at Makers Mark and Woodford. I think also at J Daniels.
I'm just down the road from you in Liberty.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
I would second Makers Mark and Woodford if not for anything else but the beauty of the grounds.
Also did Beam and saw CEO Fred who seemed to have sampled a good bit of product. Beam had a decent BBQ stand at the time. Four? years ago.
We stayed at Whites Acres RV in Bardstown.
Toured Jack Daniels a long time ago. We had a new 1979 Trans-Am. Great tour.
I'm drinking Beam Black this week.

We toured Jim Beam 2 years ago last August. I will confirm that the barbeque stand was still there at that time, but I did not try their food. The tour was a good one, but I might recommend one of the smaller distilleries. The tour was primarily 1) the testing or pilot plant facility, not where the real production happens, 2) a demonstration of bottling, again not the real commercial facility, 3) the actual aging warehouses and 4) the tasting room, where each tour participant can get 3 small samples of various whiskeys of their choice. I would like to have seen the real still and production facilities. I understand you see that on the Maker's Mark tour.

By the way, Jim Beam Black is also my go to bourbon these days.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I would second Makers Mark and Woodford if not for anything else but the beauty of the grounds.
Also did Beam and saw CEO Fred who seemed to have sampled a good bit of product. Beam had a decent BBQ stand at the time. Four? years ago.
We stayed at Whites Acres RV in Bardstown.
Toured Jack Daniels a long time ago. We had a new 1979 Trans-Am. Great tour.
I'm drinking Beam Black this week.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

melandme
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Taylorsville Lake State Park. Less than a hour to Frankfort or Bardstown.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
A few years back we visited Makers Mark in Loretto, KY, just south of Bardstown and enjoyed it very much. Out in the middle of nowhere, but the distillery is in a nice setting. BTW, Bardstown has a Bourbon Festival every September, I believe.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Romer1 wrote:
If you're in Lexington, try to get to Bluegrass Distillers
Bluegrass Distillers

It's a small distiller where you get a personal tour, sampling and get to fill your own bottle of Bourbon

Filling the bottle doesnโ€™t sound as much fun as emptying it!
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
If you're in Lexington, try to get to Bluegrass Distillers
Bluegrass Distillers

It's a small distiller where you get a personal tour, sampling and get to fill your own bottle of Bourbon
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a fun trip. I am thirsty just hearing about it.:):):)

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:
"The Federal Standards of Identity for Bourbon stipulate what is and what isn't bourbon. For a whiskey to call itself bourbon, its mash, the mixture of grains from which the product is distilled, must contain at least 51% corn. (The rest of the mash is usually filled out with malted barley and either rye or wheat.) The mash must be distilled at 160 proof or less, put into the barrel at 125 proof or less, and it must not contain any additives. The distillate must be aged in a new charred oak barrel. (Most often these barrels are white oak, but they can be any variety of oak.)"

Another interesting tidbit is that Scotch whisky is traditionally aged in used bourbon barrels. This is for three reasons: First, there is limited if any oak available for making barrels in Scotland. Second is that new barrels impart an astringency to the whiskey/whisky. Third, bourbon has to be aged in new barrels, so they canโ€™t be reused for bourbon.

Scotch whisky doesn't use the "e."

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
"The Federal Standards of Identity for Bourbon stipulate what is and what isn't bourbon. For a whiskey to call itself bourbon, its mash, the mixture of grains from which the product is distilled, must contain at least 51% corn. (The rest of the mash is usually filled out with malted barley and either rye or wheat.) The mash must be distilled at 160 proof or less, put into the barrel at 125 proof or less, and it must not contain any additives. The distillate must be aged in a new charred oak barrel. (Most often these barrels are white oak, but they can be any variety of oak.)"

Another interesting tidbit is that Scotch whisky is traditionally aged in used bourbon barrels. This is for three reasons: First, there is limited if any oak available for making barrels in Scotland. Second is that new barrels impart an astringency to the whiskey/whisky. Third, bourbon has to be aged in new barrels, so they canโ€™t be reused for bourbon.
John & Kathy
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:
Johno02 wrote:
If you are going to Jack Daniels in Lynchburg, them a MUST see is George Dickle outside Tullahoma. Daniels is a huge industrial manufacturer, Dickle is a small exibition of the art of whisky making as it should be. And one sip will make you a true believer. This is NOT a true burbon, as that can only be a product of Burbon County KY, but instead is a true Tennessee sipping whisky. A distillery tour in Kentucky is a real experience not to be missed in you are in that area with a bit of time. Some of the distilleries are beautiful places to visit.

Bourbon can be made anywhere in the US. Very little is made in Bourbon County. Evan Williams began producing bourbon in Louisville at the first commercial bourbon distillery.

Anderson County, Jefferson County, Nelson County, Franklin County, Marion County, and others produce the most famous brands like Wild Turkey, Beam, Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill, Makers Mark etc..

Jack Daniels could be called bourbon if they chose to label it as such.

Iโ€™m related to the Ripy family that founded Wild Turkey in Anderson County and have family in every county I mentioned above. The Bourbon Trail is a great way to spend a couple of days!

Link for "What make whiskey Bourbon"

Some bourbon is produced right here in Texas. ๐Ÿ˜‰
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Johno02 wrote:
If you are going to Jack Daniels in Lynchburg, them a MUST see is George Dickle outside Tullahoma. Daniels is a huge industrial manufacturer, Dickle is a small exibition of the art of whisky making as it should be. And one sip will make you a true believer. This is NOT a true burbon, as that can only be a product of Burbon County KY, but instead is a true Tennessee sipping whisky. A distillery tour in Kentucky is a real experience not to be missed in you are in that area with a bit of time. Some of the distilleries are beautiful places to visit.

Bourbon can be made anywhere in the US. Very little is made in Bourbon County. Evan Williams began producing bourbon in Louisville at the first commercial bourbon distillery.

Anderson County, Jefferson County, Nelson County, Franklin County, Marion County, and others produce the most famous brands like Wild Turkey, Beam, Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill, Makers Mark etc..

Jack Daniels could be called bourbon if they chose to label it as such.

Iโ€™m related to the Ripy family that founded Wild Turkey in Anderson County and have family in every county I mentioned above. The Bourbon Trail is a great way to spend a couple of days!
John & Kathy
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Horse Farm when we did the Bourbon Trail. Make sure you hit Woodford Reserve, Makers Mark, Buffalo Trace, and Four Roses. After you test those, you will never touch Jim Beam again.

My favorite is Woodford Reserve, double oaked. I don't even share with my friends.